Why I chose a Stacker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The DP weighs 37,000 pounds when I weighed both of them together at a truck scale a few years ago.  Together they weighrd just under 57.000 pounds.

When we go to Phoenix we stay at this one CG, there is usually a guy there with the semi-framed motorhome, Volvo truck chassis with pretty big quarters behind, he pulls a pretty big stacker, has a very intereting way of moving it about, a hydraulic set of treads that extend down from the front, remote controlled.  Has from top front, 2 motorcycles, then boat on trailer (removable tongue to fit in), then from front bottom, Razr, scooter, Subaru, and a dissembled mc trailer.  I helped him unload last Fall. 

Interesting to watch him park.  Next season, if we are there I will video.  Oh, he is also a single.  I think women are afraid to hook up with a guy with this many toys.

Small gripe. If the pics cannot be attached, it seems likely that they are too big to be conviently down loaded by those of us who rely on 5gig/mo. Verizon/Wifi (most full timers?). I don't know about other's, but I rarely click on them since I have no idea whether they are 200 kbyte or 2 mb pics (and they do turn out to be big quite often). I do understand that they may already be posted somewhere, but its an issue.

Thanks for listening,

Ernie

Ernie,  I am guilty as charged, In fact I am one of the worst offenders.  However I assure you that there is no malice intended.

I enjoy telling stories and I like to use pictures to illustrate details and to better describe things.

I have tried using programs and methods to reduce the file size and make them small enough to embed in Forum posts.

I have not liked the results. My take is that by definition smaller picture files contain less, less detail, less content, and less clarity.

Maybe there is a better way.  Perhaps posting small facsimile pictures with an additional link to a better more detailed version if it is desired.

I agree with you that anytime you click on an Internet link especially to a picture sharing site like Photobucket, you will use more data to get the pictures.

My usual method of writing any detailed post is to compose it in Word, find the pictures in my picture folders, upload it to Photobucket and then insert the link into my word document.  I then cut and paste that into the Forum post.  In part I do this because many times I have lost a detailed post at the time of sending it to the Forum and then have to start over.

I am certainly not part of any global conspiricy to eat up your data allowance, ( that was a joke to lighten up this post).

If I were trying to manage my data usage I would say that it is smart to not click on my links to pictures because they are usually large unless it is something you really want to see.

Edit:  I just looked at some posts that ArdraF put up regarding the mini ralley in Oregon.  They are very good clear pictures.  I am going to talk with her about what I am doing wrong and why my imbeded reduced pictures are not nearly as clear as hers.

Maybe there is a better way.  Perhaps posting small facsimile pictures with an additional link to a better more detailed version if it is desired.

That's exactly what the forum software does when you attach images.  It creates thumbnails that are linked to the large images.  Read this article in the forum library on resizing images for attaching.  I use the Light Image Resizer.  Resizing to 800x600 makes for nice viewing without scrolling.

HueyPilotVN said:
.....Brad,  Thanks, I also did not want to give up a shop and tools when traveling.

By the way, The least expensive way to get rated for rotary wing aircraft was to take the free lessons given at Ft Wolters, Texas and Ft Rucker, Alabama 45 years ago .  There was however a requirement to go on a senior trip for a year or in my case two.......

I thought that might be the case.... can't imagine there are too many folks that fly hueys any other way....
Thanks for your service!
Ever thought about writing a book about your experiences?
Ever since hearing Chuck Yeager and Bud Anderson speak at Oshkosh a few years back, and then reading their books, that is all i read now..... auto biographies or biographies.  I used to read only military ww2 aviation memoirs, but have expended to almost any military.... korea, viet nam, more current stuff...submarines, ground guys, special ops folks, rescue folks..... 
I just think that your stories, and those of the folks that have served are too important.  We can learn from them.... and besides, they're better than some Tom Clancy movie because they really happened!

Anyway, sorry for the side track to the thread....

For those of you who have only seen the pix, Bill's setup is quite impressive.  We had the pleasure of meeting Bill in Q this past January and can only say, the RV world is a better place because of folks like him.  Very generous with his time and he enjoys helping others, like me, who have a problem with fuses.  :eek: 

HueyPilotVN said:
I have been wary of Craigs List ever since that couple were killed when meeting a fellow about a classic car.

I have lots of people that I can give stuff to.

You rarely get killed or mugged giving stuff to friends.
Can I be your friend............lol

Bill, I can tell you that Jo Jo was glad you had a stacker. Do you have any idea how many times she's asked me to go back to Quartzsite so she can ride on your golfcart!!

Kev

Kevin Means said:
Bill, I can tell you that Jo Jo was glad you had a stacker. Do you have any idea how many times she's asked me to go back to Quartzsite so she can ride on your golfcart!!

Kev

Jo Jo was the high point of the ralley.  She is a real cutie and I am sure that she has Grandpa wrapped around her finger.

You are right about the Craigs List dangers Bill. While not common, things can happen. Many Police Depts now are allowing their parking lots or even station lobby's to be used for CL transactions.  I heard about it a few days ago on the news.  If you suggested meeting at one, you would know right away if the buyer was serious or not. 

I tried to replace the links to the pictures in the original post.  It did not allow me to modify that post so I am posting the seven original pictures here.

I hope this help those that watch there data limits.

I will use this method in the future postrs.

Attachments

• IMG_0608.jpg
    IMG_0608.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 76
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    219.4 KB · Views: 71
  • 018.jpg
    018.jpg
    228.2 KB · Views: 67
  • 023.jpg
    023.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 69
  • 037.jpg
    037.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 65
  • 024.jpg
    024.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 61
  • DSCN0468.jpg
    DSCN0468.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 77
Here are the resized picture that go with the loading procedure.

Attachments

• 006 (2).jpg
    006 (2).jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 53
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 46
  • 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 52
  • 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 49
  • 037.jpg
    037.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 42
  • 014g.jpg
    014g.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 56
  • 019.jpg
    019.jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 54
  • 020.jpg
    020.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 51
  • 024.jpg
    024.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 45
  • 026.jpg
    026.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 51
  • 033.jpg
    033.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 47
  • 047.jpg
    047.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 53
You know... I will give you the reason I did NOT go with a stacker (We used to have two cars and it would have been downright nice).

I can only tow 4,000 pounds.

IF I'd have gotten a D/P.... It would have been different.

I was wondering what it weighed fully loaded. Mind sharing that? Sweet rig!!!

Atta boy, Bill!  ;D :D  They all look great.  Good resizing.

ArdraF

kdbgoat said:
I was wondering what it weighed fully loaded. Mind sharing that? Sweet rig!!!

Here is the answer I posted on the first page:

It weighs a little too much.  I am going to put it on a diet.  Empty it weighs just under 10,000 pounds and loaded it weighs right at 20,000 pounds.

It has three 7,000 pound capacity axles.  The tires are rated at very close to the same 3,500 per tire or 7,000 per axle.  There is not a lot of wiggle room.

Some of the things that I should get rid of include a small chest freezer, duplicate power tools ( air and electric ), two spares instead of one, lots of spare parts that I usually end up giving away, a roll around tool chest, 125 feet of 6-3 electrical wire, a welder that I never use, and a few other things.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom