EAA Airventure - Oshkosh 2016 - Mini-Rally?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kim (skyking4ar2) Bertram

Moderator Emeritus
Somehow, after 37 years of flying and thinking I will go next year, I have tripped and fallen into an Oshkosh warp and will be able to attend this year.

Those of you who are pilots know it is one of the Holy Grail's of aviation shows, and even those who are not always find the number of people and planes who appear to be more than a little interesting. Last year I actually stumbled on a picture at the show of my old Aeronca Champ turned out in military colors as an L-5.

We were traversing from Michigan in the summer to Colorado for fall, and the timing just worked out.

While we won't stay on the grounds, we will be at Stevens Point KOA and commute daily. I just hope I have enough camera batteries!

There always seem to be a few of us who end up there, so if you are in the neighborhood, say hello!

Kim

You're going to love the Airventure, but you do realize that's a 56 mile commute one way, almost all on state highways :)  But it will be worth it.

Why aren't you staying at Camp Scholler, or is it full?  I thought they had drive in camping sites, boondocking of course.

It's complicated. One reason was I did not want to catch a torrential rain storm in a cow pasture and the other was I don't think it was reservable. I think it was first come, first serve.

The other was the Christi will fly out in the middle of the week and I needed to be somewhere for her to come back to!  :p

Yea, it can get muddy there in a heavy rain.  Camp Scholler is reserveable, they even have some water and electric sites, but I suspect it's too late now.

The other was the Christi will fly out in the middle of the week and I needed to be somewhere for her to come back to!  :p

Where better than in the middle of an airport :D

We're about 5 minutes from MKE so give us a call when you get here and stop by.

I've gotta say, better to go as you are planning than not at all....
but having done it both ways, I suggest camp scholler, even if for only a night or two of the trip!
The evening programs and early morning strolls through the grounds are well worth a little potential mud, I promise.
I've been several times, but always airlining it and driving in sadly  :'(

Living in Florida, I had been to sun n fun several times, but finally camped there once in a tent for a few nights... this was back in my single days.  On that trip, I promised myself that I would make airventure that year..... so I ended up tent camping at airventure I think 8 nights that first time up there.  Had a few strong thunder boomers in that time too.
Since then I've been up several times, staying at my brother-in-law's family's place in Green Lake.... which even on its own is an awesome vacation trip, but then adding in day trips to airventure take it over the top...... but I'm always left wanting more.

Regardless, I won' be attending this year, so here's a little jealousy coming your way!

If you can get there the day before opening, it's fun to just sit on the runway's edge with a handheld... well as close as they allow..... and watch the arrivals....

Oh, nice to meet a champ pilot!  The most fun I had when I was flying was in a champ 7BCM, right after finishing up my instrument rating back in the early 1990's in Williamsburg VA.  Never did get the hang of that tail wheel though, never seemed like it was adjusted right..... but otherwise that plane just fel like what flying wants to be.... low, slow, simple.... nice!

Kim

My six trips to Oskosh include two RV trips for pleasure as well as several as an exhibitor where I flew in a demo aircraft. The old farm used to be a great place to RV including being able to make reservations but that was back in the eighties.

The biggest impressions I remember are the air shows and the crowds (Either crouching under cover during the rains or standing in long lines during the hot afternoons).

blw2 said:
Oh, nice to meet a champ pilot!  The most fun I had when I was flying was in a champ 7BCM, right after finishing up my instrument rating back in the early 1990's in Williamsburg VA.  Never did get the hang of that tail wheel though, never seemed like it was adjusted right..... but otherwise that plane just fel like what flying wants to be.... low, slow, simple.... nice!

Too bad you didn't pursue that tailwheel training, since it kept you from enjoying some of the finest birds around. It just takes learning to see the very tiny corrections needed early enough to make them quick and small.
-----------

Kim,

It's a shame you won't be at Scholler, at least for a night or two -- it's a fun place and you can quickly (well a lot quicker than commuting) get to the show area on the shuttle bus they provide. Met some nice folks there, too. The year we were at Scholler we stayed in the generator allowed area (air conditioning was necessary). The previous time we flew in in a Bonanza and camped under the wing (nice, but the weather one night made it "interesting"). And once I was weathered in in Iowa, so several of us rented a car and found a dorm room in Appleton -- long commute.

Larry N. said:
Too bad you didn't pursue that tailwheel training, since it kept you from enjoying some of the finest birds around. It just takes learning to see the very tiny corrections needed early enough to make them quick and small.
-

I actually did pursue it....I just never could master it.... I always felt like the tailwheel was out of rig.  There were a few times I think in that champ when with a new wheel it would roll straight and true, but then it would get crossed soon enough and really mess with my head with the rattle shimmy, pulling this way and that....and just when i was starting to get it.
Later, that same fbo got a leaseback C-120, or maybe C-140 that I logged a few hours in....
Then I moved, and flew a few hours with an old WW2 P51 pilot in another C-140
I just had too many lazy bad habits I guess form the tricycle time....

Jeff said:
Kim

My six trips to Oskosh include two RV trips for pleasure as well as several as an exhibitor where I flew in a demo aircraft. The old farm used to be a great place to RV including being able to make reservations but that was back in the eighties.

The biggest impressions I remember are the air shows and the crowds (Either crouching under cover during the rains or standing in long lines during the hot afternoons).

Ha, That's one other reason I enjoy staying on site, so that you can enjoy the event when the day crowds leave.....

I'm on RV time - I can come as early as I want and leave when I feel like it!

Originally, I did not schedule vacation, and I would miss too much trying to fit work around airplanes. There ARE priorities, like airplanes! Things moved around, so.... here we go!

They say you can fit all the taildragger pilots who have never ground looped into a phone booth; luckily, I don't have to squeeze in (for either time!)  8) My Champ had a funky tail wheel, too, you just had to be ready for the rudder dance.

I will run into a lot of people I know from home, from airshows, from the CAF, so I probably will have some cover from time to time. A good time will be had by all.

And Ned, I will drop by! Looking forward to seeing you and Lorna again!

Email or PM me when you know the date and I'll send you a map.

We have stayed at the Sleepy Hollow rv park when we go to Oshkosh. Actually surrounded by the EAA facilities and walking distance to the grounds. Water and 50A only, but very convehient. Recommended! Unfortunatrly not this year,  gotta go see the grands.

Ernie
CSMEL, I, CFI

ah, there it is....
I'm liking that sleepy hollow farm for full hookup, but I'll bet it books years in advance!

Looking at that camp scholler map, I'm remembering that trip.  It was a good trip, and I ended up with a great spot to pitch my tent.... right next to the gate, where the fly market and aeromart are now..... so by current standards I was inside the event!

Back
Top Bottom