Locked out of the coach

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
At the first stop on our most recent trip (Bakersfiled, CA), Chris was locked out of the coach. Fortunately, I was still inside and able to open the door. The outside latch handle merely flopped around, although the deadbolt worked fine.

I attempted to access the latch mechanism from the inside, but the removable cover on the inside of the door didn't expose all the parts I needed to get to. I spent some time trying to get mobile RV repair shops to respond, but most didn't answer their phones, while others no longer provided mobile service. We decided to press on with our trip, and each time we stopped, we either made sure one of us was in the coach or used something to prevent the door closing. At our destination, we left a window unlocked to access the coach and unlock the door from the inside.

This morning I got to figure out what was going on and fix it. I first had to remove the outer end of the door, the door handle, the 'fake' window frame, the deadbolt, and several other bits and pieces. This allowed me to partially remove the interior door panel, exposing the parts I needed to get to.

There are a couple of adjustments for the latch mechanism. My first suspect was the turnbuckle-style adjustment, but it was rock solid thanks to a couple of locking nuts and couldn't have moved. The culprit was an aircraft style adjustment nut on a 'long' rod, which seems to have worked its way back over the years. This had allowed the part of the latch actuated by the outside handle to move out of position and to no longer be able to unlock the latch.

A simple job to move the part back into position and a few turns on the aircraft nut, and everything works fine. Then replace all the bits and screws I'D removed.

Attachments

• Cover_removed.jpg
    Cover_removed.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 257
  • Door_panel_removed.jpg
    Door_panel_removed.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 233
  • Inside_door_latch.jpg
    Inside_door_latch.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 229
  • Culprit.jpg
    Culprit.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 239
I can feel that pain!

We had the deadbolt throw itself one day when the door closed behind us. We were only carrying the other lock key and had not installed the remote door locks yet.

Christi, God love her, was able to boost herself through an open window.

Ever since, we carry both keys, the remote, and leave a window unlatched.

The things you learn the hard way!

Kim

skyking4ar2 said:
I can feel that pain!
We had the deadbolt throw itself one day when the door closed behind us. We were only carrying the other lock key and had not installed the remote door locks yet.
Christi, God love her, was able to boost herself through an open window.
Ever since, we carry both keys, the remote, and leave a window unlatched.
The things you learn the hard way!
Kim

Much easier to find a place outside the rig to hide a set of keys.  We have a small compartment door (12" X 12") which gives access to the water pump. The door only has the thumb lock. I just drove a nail in a stud and hung the keys there.  I also have a spare key for my truck. I learnt that the hard way.

It was probably overdue for a lube job also.

Nothing to lube.

We have hidden keys around our coach, but they were of no help in our situation. OTOH ...

When we were in the Mid West last Dec/Jan, the wind chill was -30F (aka coooold). We pulled into a rest area and both Chris and I hopped out of the warm Burb wearing flimsy clothing. That's when I realized we were locked out with the engine running. A call to Coach-Net dispatched a tow truck 30 minutes away, but there was no way we could have stood in that cold weather for that long. By chance, the rest area had a "vending building", housing all vending machines, and the glass-fronted building was heated (phew!) So we were able to watch for the tow truck in the warmth.

Interestingly, I didn't recall this issue being previously reported here in our forum. However, when I did a google search, I found a number of folks who experienced the same problem. So, be prepared, it can happen to you!

I'm a bit paranoid about getting locked out after getting out of a rental car some years back to clean the windshield, leaving the engine running.  Yep,  A mid 90's GM car.  It locked automatically.  So, when I got my 2014 ERA Sprinter and it happened to me with it (luckily while at home), I started hanging a 2nd key fob around my neck.  My DW made a little fun of it, but I insisted.  Then this last summer while on a trip out west, we pulled into a rest area somewhere out in Montana and spied another ERA just like ours.  We pulled up beside it.  The guy was outside walking his dog and the engine was still running.  Turned out, he had parked to walk his dog, leaving the RV running.  When he came back, it had automatically locked the doors.  They do that after about 20 minutes under those conditions.  We tried, but unfortunately, my key would not work.  He had called a locksmith from an hour or so away, and he was just waiting...engine idling.  My DW quit teasing me about my necklace.

I really hate it when car designers think they're smarter than I am.  Someone should take the ERA designer out for a ride and leave him next to a locked coach.  ;)

[quote author=Lou Schneider]Someone should take the ERA designer out for a ride and leave him next to a locked coach
[/quote]

Aye Lou, we've often said that about boat designers, and not just about the door locking system..

I disabled the auto lock on our truck.  A long time ago I locked not 1, not 2, but 3 sets of keys and fobs in my van, with the alarm set.  It was exciting when a deputy sheriff and I got the doors opened.  Of course my drivers license and registration were also inside :)

Tom, I had the same thing happen to me two weeks ago, except there was no one in the coach and all the windows were locked. Took a locksmith about 1 1/2 hours to cut the lock out of the door. Destroyed the lock. I now have the hole covered with duck tape and a small rope hanging down so I can open the door from the out side. Can lock and unlock from the inside, but must be careful about locking the door when we leave the MH. You ask how I know...Take the duck tape off and reach up and unlock the door. We are using the dead bolt while we are inside and when we leave the MH. I will have to order another lock but I have been working for the last 8 days. Hope to get that done this weekend.

Frank

I have dealt with this and similar locking problems on some of the over 400 units I have worked on the last two months.
But, that's that!

I have worked on over 400 units aka motorhomes, and on some of the units aka recreations vehicles I have solved similar problems.

A resource is only a resource when you use it.

[quote author=Frank Hurs]I now have the hole covered with duck tape and a small rope hanging down so I can open the door from the out side.[/quote]

Sounds like a new, foolproof lock design Frank  ;D  Thanks for sharing.

This is one of the reasons I like the driver side door.

What's an "aircraft nut"?  Did you do anything to keep the problem from recurring? 

We have a small key safe mounted to the floor above our propane tank.  The space between the floor and the ceiling is where we keep the tire chalks and leveling blocks.  It's plainly visible when opening the latch and could probably be whacked off with a good blow of a hammer, but if anyone wants in the motorhome, they don't need a key. 

This is one of the reasons I like the driver side door.

It wasn't an option when we purchased the DP, bur we had one on our prior gas coach.

What's an "aircraft nut"?

A nut with a nylon insert intended to prevent the nut from moving, thereby acting as a kind of lock nut. When I worked with tools for a living, we knew them by the brand name "Nyloc nuts". Here's an image (attached).

Not yet, but I plan to add a couple of lock nuts; Didn't have any at the coach when I worked on it.

Attachments

• Nyloc nuts.jpg
    Nyloc nuts.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 40

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awiltzius
Back
Top Bottom