Locked out of the coach

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I locked the keys inside my Bronco II at work the other day.  Fortunately, a screwdriver inserted into the driver's door key slot and a little jiggling popped the button up enough to unlock the door.

I had a weird situation. I went to the local supermarket a few years ago and I locked my keys in my Dodge caravan. I called my DW and ask her to come and get me and bring me her keys.  While I was standing there waiting for her, a car pulled in and parked behind me but in the next row. It was about 40' away. The lady got out and I saw her click her remote to lock her doors. At the same time, I thought I heard something in my car but I didn't think twice about it. She started walking away, and apparently she had to go back because she forgot something. She approached her car and took out her remote. She clicked it to unlock her door and lo and behold, it also unlocked my doors. That will never happen again.
I talked to the service manager at the local Dodge dealership and he told me that 1 out of evry ????? cars have the same remote. I don't remember what that number was.

.what brand, make of RV was this problem on?

It's a Monaco Camelot, but the latch is one of several that are pretty much standard on a lot of brands.

Thanks for the pix Tom.  I've seen those.  Actually I tried screwing one on to a bolt once but it wouldn't go on very far.  Apparently they're designed to go on with a fair amount of pressure.  Wish I knew that at the time. 

Nylon insert nuts do need a wrench to tighten them onto the bolt, but they don't need lock washers and won't vibrate loose.

An easier alternative is to contact AAA, or perhaps one of the other roadside services. They will open any door in a jiffy and for free! It's part of their program. I also believe that all rigs should have at least two entry doors.

After stopping for gas, I pulled away from the pump while DW went in for coffee and muffins. Without thinking, I got out leaving the keys in the ignition, dumbdawg got excited and jumped on the door switch which is on top of the armrest. I managed to pop  open the cab slider with a screw driver, those things are not secure, and DW enlisted a skinny kid to crawl through and retrieve the keys. I now carry a spare set tucked away on the vehicle. The current truck has manual locks so if it happens again it's my fault.

Rene T said:
Much easier to find a place outside the rig to hide a set of keys.  We have a small compartment door (12" X 12") which gives access to the water pump. The door only has the thumb lock. I just drove a nail in a stud and hung the keys there.  I also have a spare key for my truck. I learnt that the hard way.
???  ::)  :mad: Rene, don't leave your coach unattended... your coach is mine...
Keith :-*

Ummmmmmmmmm just kidding y'all know! :-[

If your keys bounce off of the nail, will they fall where you can easily find them or are they likely to go scooting elsewhere in the compartment?

Instead of hanging them on a nail, a latching cup hook may be better.

I use something like that on our boat Lou.

Lou Schneider said:
If your keys bounce off of the nail, will they fall where you can easily find them or are they likely to go scooting elsewhere in the compartment?

Instead of hanging them on a nail, a latching cup hook may be better.

The keys would fall about 6" and land on the vinyl floor that was laid down before they built the walls etc.  There's no place they could go.

All my vehicles, and all of my daughters cars, have spare keys attached by ducktape somewhere outside on the frame.

All of my girls have used the spare key at one time or another.  Saves calls to 1-800-DAD

For my truck, I use one of these:  http://www.amazon.com/Hide-Under-Magnet-Large-Black/dp/B003P4IH9O/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1434908234&sr=8-3&keywords=spare+key+magnetic+box&pebp=1434908259759&perid=1ND3SARYW9ZNZY3VN7W6
I hide it under the bed rail. The magnet is real strong and it's out of the weather.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlSpackler
Back
Top Bottom