RV's and Modern Hardware

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spyknee

As a budding full timer, I plan on adding computer, cell phone type equipment. Wireless is really coming into its own and I was wondering what full timers are doing to aquire signals for the various electronics we have available.
Any knowledge offered appreciated, links very welcome as well.

I will want to net surf, play online games, online bank, make cell and voip calls etc................

I like to play Aces High, build my own flight gear and do not want to give it up just because of an RV life style. I want it all he he.

It really comes down to money, and how much you are willing to spend.  The tech part is pretty easy to work out these days, so it comes down to how much of it you are willing to pay for.  I use a 3G air card in a router with a booster and external antenna.  How strong or fast the service is depends a lot on where you are. Some places are remote and may have minimal signal available, and some none at all.  Then we hope the campground or coffee shop has public Wifi to check email on.  I always use my own Wifi to do personal stuff and banking.

Fast data is expensive, and a lot of it is even more so. But you probably know that. 

I have AT&T service for voice, and AT&T and Verizon hotspots. Since I work full time from the coach, I have to have connectivity and if I cannot hold a cell signal from where I am with a booster, I have to move on.

I have 20GB plans from both, and AT&T rolls over the previous month. These are not inexpensive solutions, and streaming like Netflix is not an option for us, although possible.

We have two laptops, two iPhones, a Mac Book, and an iPad and we seem to do fine. We must have the connectivity so like diesel fuel, this is just part of the RV lifestyle expense for us.

We do have friends who do VoIP but our cell service covers all that.

You, too, can have it all...but you will need your checkbook...  8)

I have made an assumption, better clear this up now. What is the basic voltage used throughout the RV's cabin? I assumed all the appliances were 120v maybe that's incorrect...

I had hopes of just transferring much of my in home equipment to the RV. I have puter's, routers, TV's, speaker's all at 120V. I assumed that the RV has an inverter from DC to AC. Theres those times where the site has a plug in. So better get this assumption answered now.
120V or something else?

I also intend a wind gen, solar panels, sat dish and a vegged generator over diesel.

Yes, most appliances are 120V.  Most lights are 12 Volt, some are 120.  In order to run the 120 V stuff when not plugged in, a RV will often have an Inverter that will step up the 12 V DC battery power to 120 V AC. Either that or a generator is required.  The refer may be propane and elect, or could be a residential type refer which is 120 V AC.  Depends on what you buy, how modern it is, and where you plan on parking it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom