Space Shuttle Atlantis - March 16th 2007

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ken,

We are still hoping to make it out west next winter but it will depend upon a lot of other things. How much I work this summer will be one determining factor as well as the cost of fuel.

If we could rent the lot it would help a lot but we no longer can obtain liability insurance. We used to get it through the rental pool but they stopped offering it to anyone that doesn't put the lot into the pool. An owner doesn't get much when renting that wayl. I would hate to rent to a stranger, have them get hurt, sue us and we lose the property. We're fine when we are here as we have the insurance through the coach.

Paul,

After working at the Astronaut Hall of Fame manning the soda/snack trailer I want to warn you to BRING YOUR OWN FOOD!!!! The cost of food at these places is highway robbery. We had to be there by 3:30 for a 9:30 launch. Nobody told us that there was no food available at the Hall of Fame. We didn't get to eat until we got home around 10:30.  We sold soda, water, and those tiny bags of chips and pretzels. The soda/water was $2.89/20oz bottle and the chips were $2.22!!! I understand the hot dogs/ hamburgers at the KSC visitor's center were as ridiculously priced

Also, if you do take the KSC package you will have a very long trip out of there after the launch. Traffic for this one was especially bad because it was a night launch. Last night when it went off we weren't at the Hall of Fame but down on the river at Veteran's Park. It wasn't a bad trip back at all as we know a couple of back roads. Whatever you decide don't miss the launch. They are worth it and they won't be here too many more years. The shuttles are due for retirement in 2010. If they have another accident I would expect that will end it all together.

Jim,

We have several lot owners at Happy Trails that won't rent their lots for the same reason. Here if you have a Storage shed (Permanent structure) on the lot you can get insurance.

Hope you make it to Arizona.

ken

Jim

After starting this thread - can you believe we didn't even manage to get NASA TV and didn't have internet either, so we missed the launch !! (had to see it on a news report later).

We are only around 100 miles away as well - we were tempted to drive the RV over but thought it would be a bit crowded by the time we got there at 11am ish and couldn't figure if we would be able to camp overnight on the roadside?

Re the price of the food - we would think to take our own, but the website states "No Backpacks" etc so it rules out taking too much stuff.

I need to find out what they provide at the viewing site - whether it is standing (and we can take a small chair) or whether they provide some sort of seating etc

Just watching the KSC website every day now to see when the tickets go on sale for the March launch.

Paul

You should have been able to see the launch even from 100 miles away.  We saw one from Ft. Lauderdale even with an overcast.

We had just returned from a cruise and didn't realize it was going on Sat, but you cann see the launch from our home in Zephyrhills.  Our neighbors all watched.  I think we were sleeping. 

July 4th we drive over, a friend lives nearby, we went to his house and parked, then rode with him to a good view spot on the water.  You could see the pad.  Got video and stills of it.  What a great experience!

Ken,

Here we must have "living quarters" in the building, aka bath and kitchen facilities to qualify. New rules here now as well. A "screen room" can be as large as you want as long as you don't violate the 60/40 rule of concrete vs. lawn. The Florida room can be up to 308 sq. ft. Shed can be 120 sq. ft. Other areas in the park vary depending upon the size of the lots. Seems like they change every year!!!!

We hope we make it to AZ next year.

Paul,

Sometimes it's difficult to remember everything. :) I'm watching the NASA channel right now. They are docking just after 5pm tonight.

If you had arrived at 11am you would have been OK. Spots on the river, at least in one location, are $15 for an RV. You would be looking right at the launch pad about 12 miles away. Good binoculers will provide an excellent view at launch. Heck, it's even great without them!!  Parrish Park, where we spent the night on a previous launch, is free. That will fill up fairly early I'm sure. There is a 24 hour rule in Titusville. You can park in the legal areas for 24 hours prior to a launch and 24 hours after the launch. If it is delayed, you can stay there until the launch is successful. At least that's what I have been told by a local resident who has been here longer than we have. :)

I would hope a small hand bag with food would be allowed but one never knows. I saw backpacks at the museum but they are much more careful at KSC visitor's center. If you were to come over here a few days before the launch and obtain a site to park the rig I'm sure you would be able to find a good viewing spot on the river if you didn't want to spend the money for the tour. It the March launch is in the daytime there probably won't be quite as many people as a night launch. How about coming over for a couple of days sometime soon and we'll show you around. Then you can make up your mind what you might want to do in March? Right now there are a couple of lots near us that are not rented. I have no idea if the owners will rent for a couple of days but we could always ask.

If you have any other questions let me know. Perhaps we can find the answers.

Alaskansnowbirds said:
How about being 75 yards away when a Polaris missile breaks the surface coming up out of a sub?

Been there, done that!!  ;D  ;D

Don,

Not many of us have that opportunity!! ;D ;D I'll bet the shuttle would dwarf even that event though I'm sure it is spectacular in itself. Now if I could get on our Son's ship when they fire a cruise missle....... ;D

Jim

Thanks for the offer to show us around.

Unfortunately, as soon as we leave Kissimmee in early January, we are heading down to Key West for a booking made for the end of January, then we have the RV booked into Lazydays on Feb 19th for various warranty items - so we dont have much time free until the March launch.

I did email TGO asking about booking a site for a week around the March launch date, but they havent replied.

Im keeping an eye on the KSC website for the viewing tickets to go on sale - I'd rather be guaranteed a view than fight for one, especially as this is likely to be our only chance to see a shuttle launch.

Paul

Paul,

Let us know when you get a site at TGO. By asking now I'll bet you will get one. If they don't have one available let me know. I'll try to find some friends that might be willing to rent if they are not going to be here. I'm sure there will be time to show you around if you're here a couple of days before the launch. I still expect we'll be here until after.

There's always a slight hassle trying to get the perfect viewing spot but we have always found a spot. I'm sure you will enjoy the view from KSC as long as they do bus you to the bridge. I have been told you can't see the pad from the visitor's center but haven't been there in a while. I might just take a ride that way to see what it looks like. We used to be able to drive right by the center but they built a new road and we can't get past it now. A couple of years ago we came back and drove up our usual route through the complex and missed the new turn. Got stopped at the guard shack and was faced with uniformed officer holding an automatic rifle. He had it on top of a bollard pointing right at our car!!! Luckily they understood our mistake and let me turn around. ;D ;D

For anyone interested, launch viewing tickets for the next launch (march 15th) go on sale next Monday.

Prices etc are to be announced at 5pm tomorrow.

Paul

Hey Paul, are you in the area? We'll be in TGO for at last 4 days starting tomrrow, January26.

Hi Tom

We're in Key West at the moment - about to head to Miami for 3 days and then across to the Gulf coast.

Besides - I aint coming anywhere near you - we havent had any rain since early December - all thats changed now you're here.  ;D

Paul

UK-RV said:
...we havent had any rain since early December - all thats changed now you're here.

LOL Paul, you're not the first to tell me that on this trip. Must be those (not so) 'sunny South Wales' genes.

The shuttle launch scheduled for March 16, 2007  has been rescheduled to March 15, 2007[ according to NASA this week.

PS:  As has been mentioned elsewhere Shuttle Atlantis was damaged by hail delaying the launch until April or May

LOL Steve

I had mentioned the new date in my earlier thread (For anyone interested, launch viewing tickets for the next launch (march 15th) go on sale next Monday)

But yours is a little easier to see  ;D

Paul

Hi All

In case you were planning to head to the March shuttle launch - like we've been planning for a while.....it has now been delayed !!

Due to damage from a hail storm yesterday, the launch will now take place in late April (or thru May).

Unfortunately, we leave the US on April 14th.

Oh well, looks like we will have to try and schedule our next trip to include a launch - just hope we manage it before they are retired for good.

Paul

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom