Yet another rubber roof question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

samthetramp

Let me start by saying I did search on here first and didn't get my answer. I am in the process of repairing cracks in the sealant on my roof. I just got it and it doesn't appear to have been maintained as well as it should've been. It's 5 years old. The trim that runs vertically on the back corner and extends onto the roof about 4" I was told by an RV place was lifting up and told me how to fix it. I took up as much of the old lap sealant as I could, cleaned it up as best as possible with denatured alcohol, and used longer screws to get the trim back down. I then applied a generous amount of self leveling lap and walked away. 3 hours later here comes the rain.

Looked at it the next day and there was a bubble of air about 2 1/2" in diameter in the corner between the trim piece that runs across the back where the roof meets the back panel and the trim that runs vertically up the side onto the roof. Should I cut a slit, purge the air and glue it back down or take up the repairs I did and start over.

If the roof is unglued, it's only going to get worse as air gets under it.

I just had mine repaired. They removed the trim and peeled the roof back to where the adhesive failed. They left it open for 2 days with fans blowing on the roof to make sure it was completely dry. Then the roof was glued back down and the trim replaced.

Not sure how you got an air bubble, but I'd just slit it and re-adhere. Be sure the original repair material is well adhered. Surface needs to be clean snd dry.

Ernie

Thanks for the input. I'm not sure how the air got in there either. Went and got a heat gun to help soften the sealant so I can pull it back up and see what went wrong then fix it.

Back
Top Bottom