Another solujtion for phone service while visiting Canada

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeff

Moderator Emeritus
Not sure where I read about this but we just spent two weeks in Canada and will end up with another couple of weeks on the way back from Alaska in late August. I have unlimited data with Verizon so cannot change my plan with them to one with better rates in Canada.

I use a Samsung Galaxy S5 with a mini SIM card. Koodo Communications, a subsidiary of Telus that uses the Telus network offers a no-contract prepaid plan for $15.00C a month for unlimited text and photos. You then buy uploads of minutes and data that do not expire as long as you remain enrolled. 500 minutes is $25.00C and 100 more minutes is added for registering a credit card. 1GB of data is $30.00C. Calls to the US cost double minutes but texts to the US are still unlimited. You will have a Canadian phone number when the SIM is installed but all my apps still worked. With a 21% discount on the Canadian dollar right now I thought these were very reasonable rates.

To determine if your phone will work just stop by one of their offices and they will install a SIM card to make sure it works before you sign up.

In two weeks we used about 80 minutes and .2 GB of data for email, navigating with Google, and apps such as Gas Buddy.  Half of that data was because I forgot to shut off my sync backup for the first three days.

Jeff, your post could not be more timely.  I just reminded Maria we need to call Verizon and see about international coverage.  We're about 2 to 3 weeks away from Canada.  Seems we have the same service as you.  Verizon unlimited cell, text and data.  Maria just got a Samsung Galaxie S5 with a mini SIM card.  We'll be entering Canada via Maine.  Hopefully Koodo is available across Canada. 

As long as you can get free access to wireless which is just about *everywhere*.. d'load a package called viber..free texting / phoning / to anywhere in the work that has that package..we use it when we go to other countries..

grassy said:
As long as you can get free access to wireless which is just about *everywhere*.. d'load a package called viber..free texting / phoning / to anywhere in the work that has that package..we use it when we go to other countries..

That's all very well if you have WiFi and the other party(ies) have Viber.  It's not a cellular service though which means it's no good for on the road.

Dougie.

Back
Top Bottom