Shortened the bucket list

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

halfwright

At 70 years old, I took my first ride in a canoe!! Growing up in southern New Mexico does not allow many options for water related activities. 

I had been fishing with my uncle when I was young in a small motor boat and got sun-burned so bad it turned me against both fishing and boats.

They have 2 canoes here at Steamboat Lake that the interns and volunteers can use, so I just had to do it. Loading and unloading it in the pickup was the only problem. 

I did get to go wading when it turned over when I was trying to get in it off the dock. But, a nice young couple had pity on the old man and showed me how to get in.  I spent 3 hours paddling around the lake. There were some problems then with the "Hold my beer and watch me capsize the old fat man in the canoe with my wake (nautical term) " crowd. I don't know if it was intentional or not, but the results were the same. I quickly learned that facing the waves with the front of the boat (another nautical term) makes it easier to keep from swimming. 

I stayed close to shore in case I had to get out and push, but really enjoyed it. I guess it was more the idea of doing something new and a little scary.

I am really  starting to believe that the saying about regretting the things you didn't do more than the things you did is true. So, everyone think of something you have never done, but now have the means to  do it. Then, go do it. Don't wait until you are 70 to ride in your canoe.

Nice! :D
My most recent bucket list check off was SCUBA. I got certified last year. Now I need to get the next level, and go diving on shipwrecks off the coast.

Tip from a long time canoe owner... when you can't get turned to face the waves, swivel the hips. As long as your upper body stays upright you shouldn't tip the canoe. Capsizing happens when you lean to far away from the center.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom