SpaceX rocket blows up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeilerBird

I went to Kennedy to see a rocket launch this morning and the rocket blew up about two minutes into the flight. Definitely a bummer but it was cool that I got to see it in person.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/06/28/spacex-capsule-watch-live_n_7681504.html

Where did you get to watch the launch from?
We were lucky to get to watch STS132 in 2010...awesome display of power and great video.

All the SpaceX launches are carried live on Livestream.com.  I've watched nearly all of them, including today's disastrous one.  It was heartbreaking after the excellent record that SpaceX has had with the Falcon 9.

bobsharon said:
Where did you get to watch the launch from?
We were lucky to get to watch STS132 in 2010...awesome display of power and great video.
I went to LLC39 at Kennedy. It costs $50 and gets you as close as you can get to a launch for a civilian, about 4 miles away. You get a free t-shirt, lunch and a narrator. Unfortunately the narration was 30 seconds behind the actual launch. When it blew up the rocket was right next to the sun so Ihad stopped photographing it. This is my 8th launch and so far 4 were successful, three were scrubbed and one blew up. Close approximation to Kennedy is one of the reasons I moved here.

Here is my best shot with an iPhone taken just a few seconds before it blew up. I heard no sounds as it blew up.

Attachments

• IMG_3092.JPG
    IMG_3092.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 47
SeilerBird said:
I went to LLC39 at Kennedy. It costs $50 and gets you as close as you can get to a launch for a civilian, about 4 miles away.
When it blew up the rocket was right next to the sun so Ihad stopped photographing it.
Good site to view from. We watched from the roof across water at museum.
It was real inconsiderate of them to put the Sun in the way of your photography!

RodgerS said:
Was that one of those vacation quality rockets???
It was a resupply mission to the ISS. The third one to fail in the last 8 months attempting the same mission. An Orbital ATK built Antares cargo rocket exploded on the launch pad in Virginia last October, and a Russion Progress rocket spun out of control in April. The ISS has enough supplies on hand to last until next October, so there's no immediate risk to the folks on board.

This was the first Falcon 9 failure in 14 launches, a pretty good record.  I have every confidence that they will be back on schedule this year and the reusable Falcon 9R will be successful.  SpaceX also said that if this had been a crewed flight, the safety system would have ejected the Dragon capsule with the crew for a safe retrieval.

Yep, SpaceX has a good history with the Falcon outside of this single failure. I think the oddity this time is that now three different rocket builders in a row have attempted this same relatively common mission with three different hardware designs and all have experienced catastrophic failures. Weird...

We heard it alright. Shook the house and rattled the window for a few seconds.

Molaker said:
A rather large and expensive bottle rocket. ::)
Comparatively, it is not expensive.

For example compared to the Space Shuttle, with the highest fatality rate of any space vehicle, Falcon 9 is a bargain. It would take over twenty Falcon 9 launches to equal the price of one shuttle launch. 

Mike

And with the perfection of the Falcon 9R, it will become even less expensive.  The first stage is a very expensive part of a rocket, and making it reusable will lower costs tremendously.  I'm hoping they stick the next landing :)

Tinmania said:

Comparatively, it is not expensive.

For example compared to the Space Shuttle, with the highest fatality rate of any space vehicle, Falcon 9 is a bargain. It would take over twenty Falcon 9 launches to equal the price of one shuttle launch. 

Mike
Ned said:
And with the perfection of the Falcon 9R, it will become even less expensive.  The first stage is a very expensive part of a rocket, and making it reusable will lower costs tremendously.  I'm hoping they stick the next landing :)
Compared to MY pocketbook, it's damned expensive.  But, don't take my snarky comment as being negative toward the project.  I hope it succeeds, too.

Back
Top Bottom