4WD Trial near ZIon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daleg1970

We will be in an RV park at the South entrance to Zion in early August.
My son and the grandkids would like to do a 4WD trial -- (probably a half day)
We will be driving a stock 4WD Explorer will all limited slips, but nothing special.
I think something that makes everyone think they are doing a trial would be great -- slightly harder than a dirt road -- but not really much more.

A week later we will be a Moab, and I have found a lot of info about trails there. but not much near Zion although I believe there are some near the East entrance?

Does anyone have a suggested trail? or literature on trails near there?

thanks -- Dale

I would suggest the Poverty Flats Trail.  The trailhead is just one to two miles east of the east park entrance, and is at the west end of a large field that is part of a farmers ranch land.  There may be buffalo in that field, and if so, give them a wide margin.  They are not afraid of humans.  There is a wire gate that needs to be opened, and then the trail turns east briefly, as it follows the edge of the trees for a hundred yards or so, and then turns south into the trees.  The trail continues south, then west, and drops off of a dugway, eventually getting fairly close to the Virgin River.  There is a side trail that goes to a lookout over the Virgin River gorge.  The side trail used to continue down to the river, but is now blocked by the BLM.  You can walk the last few hundred yards to the river if you want to.  The main trail will continue westward, and eventually end at the Zion National Park boundary.  Trail surface is slickrock and sand, with a few mild to moderate challenges.  The end of the trail is more challenging than the rest of the trail, but is more interesting as well.  Scenery is spectacular, as you would expect for the Zion's National Park area.  I have done the trail in a number of different vehicles, from dirt bikes, to ATVs, UTVs, Jeeps, a Toyota pickup, and a Jeep Grand Cherokee with a small lift and 32" tires.  Your Explorer should do fine, if driven cautiously.

Back
Top Bottom