Fishing (not) in Ohio

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
We've been in Ohio for the last few weeks. I'd hoped/planned to spend some of my time here fishing with kids and grandkids. Unfortunately, the almost continual heavy rains they've had have put most of the rivers, streams and creeks into flood or near-flood stage. At the very least, they're flowing deep and fast with a lot of mud churned up.

Tom said:
We've been in Ohio for the last few weeks. I'd hoped/planned to spend some of my time here fishing with kids and grandkids. Unfortunately, the almost continual heavy rains they've had have put most of the rivers, streams and creeks into flood or near-flood stage. At the very least, they're flowing deep and fast with a lot of mud churned up.
That could be a good thing if there is a lot of thunder along with it.  No one will notice the muffled explosions and the water is already muddy.

We've had our share of thunderstorms since being here. Don't know how that's a good thing  ???

After almost a week of dry weather, I was anticipating the creeks having dropped enough to facilitate fishing. So I bought my OH non-resident license, a couple of poles, reels and other tackle, then, bam! More heavy rain  :(

However, we've managed to fish a few lakes (from the bank). My preferred method would be by boat, and I've been looking for a half-decent used aluminum bass boat. So far, all I've seen is junk and overpriced boats.

Today I checked out the lake at Alum Creek state park, near Delaware, OH. The large lake really needs a boat, and they have a couple of marinas and  launch ramps. I had a tip about fishing below the spillway when the outflow is above some minimum, which it currently is. There are some huge muskies below the spillway!

I fished for just a short time today, but Monday we do some serious fishing.

Yesterday we fished the spillway below the dam at the lake at Alum Creek State Park. But the outflow from the spillway was a fraction of what it had been a few days earlier. My reading was that, due to the recent heavy rains, they lowered the lake level by opening up the dam gates and, as a result, they reduced the outflow. The area below the dam was way down, and the 'large muskies' were non-existent.

Should be running hard today!  It is a drive but Leesville is a big Muskee lake.  While here, you might want to try Lake Erie Walleye.

Tom, I'm jealous, we are stuck in San Antonio, Tx, this week and next week in Dallas after that we will slowly make our way north to the WV-Ohio area for a couple weeks. My granddaughter is graduating from basic training this week.

Yesterday I fished with the grandkids below the spillway at Deer Creek SP near Mt. Sterling, OH. I'd spotted this well-developed area after fishing above the dam last week. Saw a few large fish, but no takers. Had several hours of sunshine, and the grandkids even swam in the lake (above the dam) before we headed off to drop the kids home. Within 45 minutes, I was getting flash flood warnings on my phone, and we were in torrential rain, thunder and lightning. It went on all night, and we were grateful to have had sunshine most of the day.

Eerie is 3 hours from here, and beyond the limit for a day trip with overactive grandkids. Leesville is 2 hours from here, and probably marginal, but I might check it out on my own day.

Apologies for the delayed response Dave. Looks like it's a 2 hour drive to Holmes County from here. Which bodies of water offer good bass fishing? TIA.

Spent several hours fishing Huron Pond in Three Creeks Park yesterday. A very small nearby lake I stumbled on last week; Probably good for the grandkids to catch small crappie and bass. Fed the fish before the heat and humidity beat us up. Headed home and, as forecast, we had heavy rains and high winds. I don't know if the creeks & streams will drop enough to fish before we leave  ???

Tom said:
Spent several hours fishing Huron Pond in Three Creeks Park yesterday. A very small nearby lake I stumbled on last week; Probably good for the grandkids to catch small crappie and bass. Fed the fish before the heat and humidity beat us up. Headed home and, as forecast, we had heavy rains and high winds. I don't know if the creeks & streams will drop enough to fish before we leave  ???
Tom, even with elevated water levels, dynamite still works. ;)

Been on the road.  We live at a private lake and a 5 pound large mouth is not uncommon.  Problem now is the house sold and we are about to hit the road full time.

Back
Top Bottom