coleman outboard motors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
Walking through a Cabella's store yesterday, I saw an outboard motor with "Coleman" decals. Didn't pay attention to the size, but I'd guess 20 +/- hp. It's highly likely a private label made for Coleman. It was hung adjacent to a similar sized Merc, and I came to the conclusion it probably wasn't a Merc. Curious who.makes it. I should have stuck around and paid more attention.

As you probably know, the Coleman brand name is mostly licensed out to whoever is willing to pay their fees. However, Coleman itself does have some products made in China and sold under its own name in the USA. Wonder if those might be Chineses outboards?

I found this site for Coleman Power Sports which seems to have boats and motors: http://colemanatv.com/en/parts-a-accessories/boat-motors.html

Wouldn't surprise me if they were Chinese. Didn't have a lot of time yesterday, but I'll take a closer look next time I'm in the store. I'm leaning towards a private label, possibly a Merc with a different shaped cover (and Coleman decals) to make it look unlike a Merc.

I'm years too late to respond to this thread, but just so everyone knows, 30 horse and under Mercurys, Nissans, Evinrudes, and Johnsons are made by Tohatsu motors in Japan.  A new Tohatsu can save you hundreds over a name brand. 

Coleman outboards are made by Parsun in China, and parts seems to be an issue.

Bombardier owns the Evinrude & Johnson brands, but I'm pretty sure sales of the Johnson brand was discontinued back in 2007. Bombardier operates the Evinrude assembly plant in Sturtevant, WI, but perhaps they just assemble components from Tohatsu? 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom