Playing music, but not quite on the road

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
We're currently at our place in the MidWest. Drove the coach out from the West coast rather than drive a car and use motels; It made travel more comfortable for our two doggies. On arrival, we put the coach in storage and settled in to the local (high) humidity and continual rains.

I'd previously left a guitar and ukulele here, and brought along my 8-string ukulele and plectrum banjo. Decided to add to the instrument cache here, and bought a 76-key Yamaha keyboard. One of these days I'll buy a Roland.

Ordered a baritone uke, but it arrived with an interior brace "rattling around" inside the sound box; Looked like it was due to an impact in transit. Amazon immediately authorized return and credited my CC.

The numerous days of rain &/or thunderstorms put a crimp in the fishing plans here in the MidWest, so I got to spend more time practicing/playing on various instruments.

The 76-key Yamaha has proved to be an OK keyboard for playing (almost) on the road. Nothing like a pro grade instrument, but it's worked out fine for me to get back to playing. It had been a while since I'd played, and I really did need to go back to basics.

The plectrum banjo is a little overpowering indoors with HOA rules, so I think I'll bring a banjo ukulele instead next trip.

We hit the road and headed home a few weeks ago. Made a detour to WY to check out the numerous fishing opportunities. The 76-key keyboard and plectrum banjo really took up too much room in the coach.

Last weekend, we made a dash for home to take care of various appointments, and returned to WY today minus the keyboard and banjo, and with a uke and banjo uke. That made a lot more room for my fishing tackle and related gear.

The Delta Strummers Ukulele Band resumes weekly rehearsals on September 2, following our summer hiatus. Unfortunately, I'll miss the first couple of weeks while fishing up here in WY. However, being the librarian for our music, I have advanced copies of new-to-us lead sheets, and I'll receive any additional ones from the Maestro for review before the band sees them. So, I'm able to practice in the coach and I'll be able to jump right in on my return.

Arrived home from WY yesterday, and I'm getting stuck into our Maestro's updates for the ukulele band. We have only 4 weeks before our first 'performance' of the Fall/Winter season, and rehearsals are in full swing.

I missed the first 4 weeks of rehearsals, but I had a couple of ukes along on our trip, and practiced quite a bit, both in the coach and on the patio. Our neighbor told folks I was serenading him and his wife  ;D

Delta Strummers membership has exceeded 60, quite a growth from 9 uke players and a guitarist when I joined just 4 years ago. Half of the band, including me, hadn't previously played and went through lessons conducted by our Music Director.

Last evening was my first full rehearsal of the Fall/Winter season with the Delta Strummers, and I was glad I'd practiced while we were on the road the last few months. Only 3 weeks to our first performance of the season.

As I updated the Band's calendar, I realized we have 7 performances between now and December, although 3 of them are cameo appearances (3 or 4 numbers) in support of the 90-voice Summerset Singers choral group during their Christmas concerts.

Meanwhile, we have requests for performances in the first half of 2016.

I've been digging out and practicing my arrangements of several Irish favorites. Every year, I receive requests via phone &/or email for a small group to play for St. Paddy's Day, but usually have to decline. Hopefully I can get a small group ready to perform in 2016.

Ukuleles and bagpipes, what a combination :)

Bagpipes  ???  We have none of them in our band or the subgroups.

Since St. David's Day is just a couple of weeks before St. Paddy's Day, I need to figure out how to get several players up and running on some Welsh songs. I have several of my own arrangements, but I'll need to sing the Welsh lyrics. I've translated several verses of some of the songs, so folks can sing in English, but they don't sound quite the same though  :(

Less than two weeks to the Delta Strummers' first full performance of the season, and we have two rehearsals to smooth out the remaining rough spots. Tuesday evening was the first practice of my solo with the Band; As I walked up front, our Music Director said "you don't need a mic" and, when I was done, he said "you were in good voice tonight". Phew!

Tom said:
Bagpipes  ???  We have none of them in our band or the subgroups.

You should have for St. Patrick's Day.

I've never heard any of these songs played on bagpipes. Come to think of it, the only Irish piper I know is Jim Dick. You may be confused with Scottish pipers.

Attachments

• Pipes_uke2.jpg
    Pipes_uke2.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 7
Nope, every St. Patrick's Day in Palm Desert, a piper would wander up and down highway 111, visiting the pubs and accepting "donations", mostly liquid.  Bagpipes, while mostly associated with the Scottish, have been played in many parts of Europe, including Turkey.

Which tunes did he play and which ones did he sing?

Hard to sing when playing the pipes :)  As for the tunes, this was 20 years ago.  I do remember Amazing Grace, however.

Final logistics are underway for the first two of the Delta Strummers seven remaining performances this year; We're down to seating/standing arrangements and final tweaks to music lead sheets.

We have the first two performances on the calendar for 2016, with more being planned/negotiated with the respective venues. Yesterday, several of us checked out the gorgeous event center at a large private gated community in the East Bay. They have state-of-the-art audio equipment. This is a definite go for April.

Back
Top Bottom