4wd/awd auto trans toad under 3500lbs ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nomadic1s

Hello folks,
I have a Class A rated to tow 3500 lbs.  I'm interested in flat towing.  We frequently like going where 2wd just doesn't work so a 4wd or awd is needed.  Also the vehicle needs to be an automatic transmission do to a knee problem I've got and too much clutching will do me harm.  Also were kinda on a budget right now so an older model vehicle would most likely be in order.  Pretty demanding criteria (maybe unrealistic) I realize but I thought I would put it out there and see if anyone had some ideas. 
I believe the geo tracker fits this criteria but there doesn't seem to be many out on the used market with an auto transmission.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.  By the way, we are new to rv'ing and this site.
Blessings

I'm not sure how much the 2-door Jeep Wrangler weighs, but since my 4 door is 4000 lbs, I'd bet the 2 door is 3500 or less.  If so, they are a piece of cake to tow 4wheels down.  I would definitely look into those before I'd go with a Geo Tracker.  I suspect you'll have an easier time finding a nice used Jeep Wrangler than you will a nice Tracker too.

statgeek said:
I'm not sure how much the 2-door Jeep Wrangler weighs, but since my 4 door is 4000 lbs, I'd bet the 2 door is 3500 or less.  If so, they are a piece of cake to tow 4wheels down.  I would definitely look into those before I'd go with a Geo Tracker.  I suspect you'll have an easier time finding a nice used Jeep Wrangler than you will a nice Tracker too.
I think the 2-dr is about 3300 lbs.  However, since the OP has knee problems, getting in and out might be an issue.

I expect any near stock Jeep Wrangler 2006 and older would fit your requirements. My 2012 Rubicon scales at 4,600 lb loaded and with a bumper and winch. The 2006 Sport automatic is closer to 3, 000 lb and also reasonably priced (about $1, 200 to 1, 500).

Ernie

you should realize that 3500 pounds is just an engineering estimate....and it will likely be fine a little over that.

For comparison, my 2006 Honda Accord 4-dr, 6-spd manual, loaded, weighed in at 3360# and towed four down without any tricks in neutral. I towed that car for four years and almost 40,000 miles until last year when we bought a very fat Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel.  8)

Agree with an older Honda CRV....perhaps biggest bang for the buck would be a Saturn Vue....think the 2004-2006 had a Honda engine and tranny!

skyking4ar2 said:
For comparison, my 2006 Honda Accord 4-dr, 6-spd manual, loaded, weighed in at 3360# and towed four down without any tricks in neutral. I towed that car for four years and almost 40,000 miles until last year when we bought a very fat Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel.  8)
So..how do you like the diesel Jeep ?  I want one of those.

Thanks very much everyone for responding,
I will definitely look into each of the vehicles mentioned. It's great to have some direction.  So many vehicles  seem unable to be flat towed if they are 4wd/awd and automatic.  I'm not concerned for about a couple hundred pounds over the rated tow capacity.  But I would like to keep the weight as low as reasonable for towability.  Not just for braking and handling but our coach (1992 Fleetwood Pace Arrow, 460 ci Ford gasoline) seems a little underpowered already on hills.  It's not that I'm in any hurry do get anywhere, it's just I don't like pushing my equipment too hard. 
Please post any other ideas.

Blessings

What about just going with a heavier tow vehicle

when you hit the bigger hills, have your co pilot get out and follow you in the tow vehicle over the hills.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opal6502
Back
Top Bottom