Would you trust a 30 amp coach with EMS and two ACs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gruzzy47

About to go full time...

My biggest fear is leaving my dog in the coach during the day while I'm gone, and having the ACs shut off.  Whether it's caused by a loss of shore power, or the ACs pull too much current and trip the breaker.

One of the coaches I'm looking at has 2 ACs, but only 30 amp service.  I know it CAN run two ACs, but I'm worried about reliability.

Would you trust it?

I would also be concerned. How about just running the air in the section of the RV that the dog will be in. When you get back, turn on the other one. If you can isolate the rest of the RV by shutting doors.

Rene T said:
I would also be concerned. How about just running the air in the section of the RV that the dog will be in. When you get back, turn on the other one. If you can isolate the rest of the RV by shutting doors.

Perhaps...but will that be sufficient in high heat?  90-100 degree temps?

I would think so especially if you can isolate 1/2 of the RV. Do a trial run the next time it gets real hot.

You have to consider that probably the best an air conditioner is going to do is drop the temp by 20 degrees, assuming the rig is not heat saturated.

Closing it off will help and limit the amount of space to be cooled.

You probably will be close to the edge when you start hitting upper 90's. I am not a big fan of getting a rig that hot because it takes so long to cool down and we don't even have dogs!

There is no one single answer with that combo.

I tried shutting the bedroom door while ducted a/c was running so I didn't disturb my wife in the morning.  The unit started short cycling shortly after that.  Opened the bedroom door, and the short cycling stopped. This is in a travel trailer.

If you are worried about reliability then when leaving Fido home alone kill one of the A/Cs manually (Turn it off) and set the EMS to only power the other one...

That way you simplify..  The Dog can choose the hot end or the cool end as he (Dogs are male canines) chooses

There is also an alternative way to power 2 A/Cs in a 30 amp park (I use that) but well.. It is a bit complex.

We have a 30amp with 2 A/C's.  We have an EMS that works very well.  If nothing else is running they both run fine.  When we turn on the microwave the bedroom AC with shut down while the microwave is running.  AC will start back up when finished.  No problems and have never flipped a circuit breaker.

I would not be any more concerned than with just one a/c. In most rigs, the EMS will simply prevent the 2nd a/c from running. I suppose it could screw up ad not handle the 30A thing, but there are a zillion other things that could screw up and go wrong too. Fridge catch on fire, loose wiring melts, water heater blows up, etc. Where do you stop worrying and go on faith?

All that said, simply flip the breaker off on the 2nd a/c and Voila! You now have a single a/c 30A system. And if its a ducted a/c, you may still havea/c throughout, just less of it.

If the RV is big enough to need two a/c's, you might consider that it also needs 50A service so it can actually run two a/cs to keep it cool.

You might consider using this https://youtu.be/T-QD-wWd9kg so that you can monitor the temperature and have alerts sent to your phone.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nativoacai
Back
Top Bottom