EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Interstate 80  (Read 2751 times)

Ghost1750

• ---
Interstate 80
« on: July 01, 2015, 08:21:57 PM »
Has anyone driven I 80 in the past year or so, if so how is it and are fueling stations for diesel and RV parks. Headed East on 80 next week. I normally take 40 but thought 80 might be cooler and a change of scenery.

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Everything I state is my opinion.
Re: Interstate 80
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 08:26:41 PM »
80 runs the entire length of the country. You might want to be a little more specific as to the area.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
Life list of birds:
https://goo.gl/photos/xuP9zPD2KP2swN1g8
2016 photos:
https://goo.gl/photos/aXQPbnVpgzNvs4Jq8
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7

BoomerD

• ---
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 08:34:53 PM »
ROFL! Yeah, I was on I-80 about a month ago...from Reno to just outside Sacramento. BUT, I wasn't looking for fuel stops or camping locations...just passing through on the way back to WA.
Current coach: 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 30B

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2015, 12:23:46 AM »
If you have time, pick up a copy of The Next Exit; It tells you what services (including food and fuel) are available by exit number along all our freeways and many highways. It's saved me many a worry.

Edit: This reminded me to order a new/replacement copy from amazon.com (cost $14.36 with Prime free 2-day shipping). In addition to being somewhat old, our prior copy had suffered from considerable chewing by our paper-loving puppy.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 12:36:49 AM by Tom »
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

dan680fl

• ---
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2015, 08:38:38 AM »
Came from Ogden Ut. to Cambridge Ma. via Logan, Bear Lake, then picked up 80 to Cambridge. I was on a revenue run so no time to enjoy. I noted to put Bear Lake Ut. on my to do list as it seems to be a nice place. Fuel from name brands was not a problem and there is still some lengthy construction areas but lane width was reasonable and overall road conditions was superior to those in Louisiana and Arkansas.

lumpy75

• ---
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2015, 08:54:58 AM »
I 80 is a long road but so is I 40 so I have no idea what section you are looking at. I agree get the Next Exit book. Very good resource for where to stop. I travel on I 80 all the time. We live int the Quad Cities on the Ill Iowa border. 80 runs right into town. Going west it is heavy traffic all the way till Des Moines with lots of semi traffic. Only 2 lanes on each side till you get into Iowa City and again when you go into Des Moines. After that it is pretty easy drive till you get to Omaha. Can't help you much past that. That is where I stop. Good road and plenty of stops and camps in this section. Now the other way. Roads are good going East from the QC till you get to Joliet. Then it's potholes and heavy traffic till you get past Gary Indiana. You will want to stop and fuel before getting into this area. Fuel prices go up and the last place you want to have to stop is Gary. I normally stop at Morris or right before Joliet. Indiana is a tollway. There are three or four Oasis stops going across the state that are easy off and on. Can not help you with camping no idea. Price of fuel is high so I try to avoid them. I just traveled this section coming back from Michigan Speedway and the road was in good shape with light traffic till you get back into Gary.

Ghost1750

• ---
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2015, 09:30:40 AM »
Sorry everyone, I should have been more specific. We will be traveling from Sacramento, Ca. to Illinois on 80 and coming back to Ca. on I 40 when the weather is cooler.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2015, 09:45:11 AM »
A few weeks ago we traveled from an hour south of Sacramento to central OH. I'd been vacillating over the bad weather along I-40 and thought we'd run I-80 via Reno. At the last minute, there was horrendous weather in CO, so I decided to take I-40, watch the weather day by day, and pick options from there. We lucked out and had sunny days the entire trip. I was sure glad to avoid the washboard road surface on the Reno side of Donner Pass  ;D

RoyM

• ---
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2015, 11:23:16 AM »
We were over that section 5 years ago. They still haven't fixed it??? :o
Ram 2500 diesel
Prowler fifth wheel
Urge to travel

Drivmsafe

• ---
  • Lovin' the RV life!
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2015, 11:31:29 AM »
Hi all
Regarding I80, can any one tell me what the grade is like going eastbound between Salt Lake City and Evanston, WY. If memory serves me, and that's saying a lot since it's been about 40 years since I've driven it in a car, the grade is pretty steep. Just wondering how it is for motor homes.
Appreciate any info.
Smooth Roads & Safe Travels!
Curt & Isi (and 9er, our Goldendoodle)
2014 Forest River FR3 30DS
2014 Honda CRV EX-L (TOAD)

BoomerD

• ---
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2015, 11:34:47 AM »
Roy, We were over Donner Pass about a month ago...if anything, due to budget cuts, it's worse than ever.

I have a friend who used to be the maintenance supervisor at the Cal-Trans maintenance station in Kingvale. They gave him a pitiful amount every year to pave...just the ruts in the roadways.

A BIG part of the problem with that section of road is the amount of snow they get most years...necessitating the use of tire chains on the trucks that pound up/down I-80. They beat the snot out of that road.

RoyM

• ---
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2015, 02:41:44 PM »
We have the same problem with the Coquihalla Pass on highway 5 but it is maintained to a reasonable standard although at considerable cost.
Ram 2500 diesel
Prowler fifth wheel
Urge to travel

BoomerD

• ---
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2015, 02:47:07 PM »
We have the same problem with the Coquihalla Pass on highway 5 but it is maintained to a reasonable standard although at considerable cost.

Wait...you have roads up in Canuck Land?  :o

Are they for your dogsleds?    :P

larrypowellnc

• ---
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2015, 09:41:11 PM »
Thank you Tom.  I visit the forum regularly and often find things I didn't know existed.  One such find was your mention of The Next Exit.  I went to the web site and was amazed at the information available.  I like to plan my trips in advance and use several sources for information.  The Next Exit will be near the top of my source list.  I ordered the online version as I have an air card and tablet so I can access the site while on the road.  Thanks again.  Happy RVing.

Great Horned Owl

• ---
  • Lake county, IL
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2015, 11:14:33 PM »
If you have time, pick up a copy of The Next Exit; It tells you what services (including food and fuel) are available by exit number along all our freeways and many highways. It's saved me many a worry.

Edit: This reminded me to order a new/replacement copy from amazon.com (cost $14.36 with Prime free 2-day shipping). In addition to being somewhat old, our prior copy had suffered from considerable chewing by our paper-loving puppy.

Next Exit is also available as a smart phone app.

Joel
Joel & Dorothy
Retired electronics engineer. Avid photographer, paddler & birder.
2011 Silverado 2500HD, Duramax, 4x4,crew cab, 8' bed
Palomino Puma 253-FBS  27' 5th wheel
1994 19' Class B Horizon / Chevy

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2015, 11:27:36 PM »
Quote from: Great Horned Owl

Thanks Joel. I wasn't aware of that. Off to download the app.

Dragginourbedaround

• ---
  • I look out the window and see trees, I'm camping
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2015, 09:24:55 AM »
I-80 through Ohio has four rest stops EB and WB with electric hookups. $20 per night. They also have a dump station and a fresh water station. We also use the Next Exit a lot.
Gene

2013 Winnebago Adventurer 37F
2011 Honda Fit

UTTransplant

• ---
  • Salt Lake City area
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2015, 09:52:44 AM »
Hi all
Regarding I80, can any one tell me what the grade is like going eastbound between Salt Lake City and Evanston, WY. If memory serves me, and that's saying a lot since it's been about 40 years since I've driven it in a car, the grade is pretty steep. Just wondering how it is for motor homes.
Appreciate any info.
Living in the Salt Lake City area, we always take I-80 to I-15 and head north to I-84. Take I-84 until it joins I-80 again. The Ogden Canyon stretch on I-84 has less grade than I-80 through Parley's Canyon. I-84 has curves and a reduced speed limit, but is well worth the small detour.
Pam and Kevin plus Minou and Lily (the cats) plus Lexi (the grand-dog)
2014 Outdoors RV Timber Ridge 240RKS
2015 Ram 2500 Diesel
http://toobusyforwork.com

lumpy75

• ---
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2015, 04:53:13 PM »

Joel
This will make my wife happy she loves her phone apps.  :D

GC Rapidman

• ---
  • 2007 Dutchmen 31P
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2015, 10:37:59 PM »
Can't find the app. Is it Apple only?
Jay
Retired and Loving It
Life is Good!!

GC Rapidman

• ---
  • 2007 Dutchmen 31P
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2015, 10:41:41 PM »
OOPs, Ignore that. Just downloaded.
Jay
Retired and Loving It
Life is Good!!

Ghost1750

• ---
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2017, 01:00:16 PM »
Has anyone driven I 80 in the past year or so, if so how is it and are fueling stations for diesel and RV parks. Headed East on 80 next week. I normally take 40 but thought 80 might be cooler and a change of scenery.

It's been two years since I posted this and have driven I-80 twice from Sacramento East. Enjoyed the views but it is a very lonesome drive. We go that way because it is cooler in August than I-40 which I prefer and we return in October and the weather is cooler. We will be headed that way in about 3 weeks if I get up the nerve. The other day my motor home refused to turn left, happened 3 years ago. Having it checked before I leave for Missouri.

Tom Hoffman

• ---
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2017, 01:23:58 PM »
Use Google earth to look at Interstate exit locations from above and pick stops based on ease of exit and entrance and fueling. 

Some are most definitely easier than others.  A 58' rig trying to maneuver around car pump islands to the diesel pumps is not easy, but it gets done every day. 

Planning is all well and good till you line up for your chosen pump and find out it is out of order or won't take your cc/Debit Card etc.  Very vexing.  Go with the flow.   
Wife said to me. "What cha doin' today?"  "Nothin'" says I.  "Ya did that yestiday!" Says she.  "I didn't get done!" says I

2003 F-350 Super Duty Lariat Dually 7.3 Diesel
2008 34' Sunny Brook, Brookside

beaverfever

• ---
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2017, 05:21:53 PM »
80 is a major truck route so fuel is not a problem. you will find a truck stop about every 300 miles or closer. gas buddy is your friend to find fuel stops
just pick area and put town in it will give pricing and map

8Muddypaws

• ---
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2017, 05:44:09 PM »
I use Gas Buddy, RV Parky, and RV Parks apps on an iPad or iPhone.  And Yelp when we're looking for food.
Retired computer professional
Musician, songwriter and music director
2006 Bounder 34H, 2008 CR-V Toad

Hosted by Over The Network