Advice for Washington and Oregon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cymro

Hi there,

We are in the planning stages of our winter trip for this year. We live in NW Ontario and are planning to start by visiting the kids on Vancouver Island before heading south.

I am asking for camping advice for the coasts of Washington and Oregon before we head through Nevada into Utah and then onto Arizona and Eastern California. We prefer boondocking in scenic areas when we can (Walmart etc only when in between destinations when we have to). We have an F150 towing a 21 foot trailer. Any advice or tips will be greatly appreciated!

Adding to Margi's message, Oregon state parks have some of the largest/longest sites we've come across.

And Oregon and Washington coastal state parks have some of the most incredible, widest beaches in the world!  I did that route last summer and just started with a good map of each state and picked out a state park every 100 miles or so.  Still missed some good ones.

In Washington, Kalaloch campground in the Olympic Nat'l Park (just south of Forks, WA) right on Hwy 101...next to the ocean. VERY nice, especially if you can get one of the sites right above the ocean, although no hookups. (they do have a dump station though)
Also, south of there by about 65-70 miles, in the small town of Ocean City, you'll find numerous small, rustic campgrounds. We've stayed a couple of times at Screamin Eagle.
http://www.secampground.com/
Full hookups available. Small, but decent. (and clean showers...that matters to us)

Thank you all. That's some good information to get us started on what looks like an amazing segment of our travels!

Depending on when in the Winter you are planing your trip South. We will be going about the same places in December down to Arizona and then to San Diego for a wedding. If you are planing and want to go via the coast highways in Washington and Oregon pay very close attention to the weather expected. It will probably be wet in November and December. The coast is usually windy and the roads are filled with a lot of curves. Beautiful but better in the Spring Summer. I would not go any farther South on the coastal highway then maybe Eugene Oregon. You will start going into mountains after that and the conditions on the coast may not be as good as going on I-5. That is what we are doing. Be sure and take some tire chains with you as they may be required in some of the California passes. Maybe we will see you on the road. Good luck. 

cymro said:
Thank you all. That's some good information to get us started on what looks like an amazing segment of our travels!
As a full timer for 12 years I have been on a whole bunch of the major roads in this country. Highway one on the west coast is my favorite road. The beauty is overwhelming.

Walmarts on the coast youll get woke in the middle of the night and told to move.  In plane language its not allowed, at least on the Oregon coast.  Just state park it,  you wont regret it

I have been doing a blog on the forum that involves many Oregon campgrounds. Here is the link if you wish to check out the entries so far.  http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,83325.0.html

I've spent a lot of time in Oregon and Washington state parks and am a big fan.
Cape Disappointment on the Washington side of the mouth of the Columbia River is a huge park with sites very close to the beach.

There are several nice parks on the Oregon Coast. Beverly Beach near Newport is one of my favorites. South Beach is a nice park, but a long walk to the water from the campgrounds

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom