Magellan Road Mate 700 GPS Receiver??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

29er

Heartland, who I help stay in business,is offering The Magellan Road Mate 700 GPS Receiver with the preloaded Hertz Never Lost system for $349.99. Deal or no deal???

I add that I have purchased many items from them over the years and although they say "may be reconditioned" everything I've ever received has been new in the box.

All opinions count.  thanks.

There are a lot of systems available in that price range now. The Garmin C330 and Lowrance Iway 250, or the new Magellan Roadmate 2000, to name a few. And according to their website, you can get a new Magellan 700 from Magellan for $299.95.  Magellan GPS Products

Magellan has not been real good about providing ongoing support for older models, i.e. updated maps. I have a 750 NavPlus that is an orphan and its only a couple years old.

I have a 700 roadmate and love it. With that said, I will say the following: I wish I had a unit that was stand-alone (not have to plug into the vehicle for power). I don't like the tone of the female voice that announces the name of the street. I purchased mine about 3 years ago and 6 months ago did a software update to include updated maps -of course- and the street name announcement.
I find Magellan Roadmate to be the most accurate and have good software support.
If I were to get another brand it would be a Garmin.
Peedee

If I were to get another brand it would be a Garmin.

If I were to get another GPS it most likely would not be a Garmin.  Their City Nav software has too much to be desired.  IMHO they really took a large step backwards when they changed from their original Metroguide mapping software.

The Garmins do give you a choice of voices, we use a British female that my driver calls Hilda.

The latest maps and POI databases are much improved over past years, and get better with each release.  Not perfect, but then no mapping program priced for the consumer market will ever be.  All of the GPS units use the same few sources of data so choose a unit on the user interface and your preferences.  They'll all have about the same errors in the data.

Ned said:
...we use a British female that my driver calls Hilda....

Sounds more like a German name, although there are some Brit females with that name.

Hilda, not Hildagarde ;)  Of course, when she steers us wrong, Lorna has another name for her :D

Back
Top Bottom