Any kayak anglers here?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My wife and I are avid anglers and for the past four years have been fishing from kayaks. We recently bought our first travel trailer and went with a 16' toy hauler so we can easily take the kayaks with us. 

I was just curious if anyone else chases fish from a kayak m

I don't fish from a kayak but, coincidentally, when I was in Dick's Sporting Goods a couple of days ago, someone was asking about kayaks set up for fishing. I couldn't help looking over the guy's shoulder.

I have a Hobie  Revolution that is good to fish from as it is foot driven, so is hands free.
had it for a couple of years and have fished lakes and on salt water. never had such good luck. have just had a hidden hitch installed on the front of the truck for a custom built rack and can now carry it while hauling the 5 th wheel.

If I was to buy a kayak, I'd want the foot pedal drive. I was going to ask if your Hobie Revolution has fishing pole holders, but then found this. It's a little pricey, so I think I'll stick with my float tube.

Attachments

• Float tube3.jpg
    Float tube3.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 47
  • Float tube.jpg
    Float tube.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 35
Yes Tom it is pricy but I have back problems so it is the only way for me to Kayak. Plus no need to worry about wind... and hooking the inflatable.. HAPPY FISHING 

Just some comments on the Hobie kayaks.

We carry 2 Hobie inflatables.  Because they are inflatable, storage isn't an issue.  The 11' kayaks fold down into wheeled suitcase that are typically 1' X 2' X 3'.  With three air chambers they have a capacity of 500lbs, they are set up for fishing as well other uses.  The fabric from which they are made is the same thing as the rafts that travel the Colorado River.  I would bet it would be difficult to hook or otherwise catch other gear into the fabric.  The mirage drive (pedal drive) is very nice and easy to use, leaving hands free much of the time (left hand may be needed for steering while under way).

We use them to find and observe dolphins, manatees, rays, water fowl, fish, and other wildlife.  Since there is no paddle noise, we usually find ourselves close to the action.

I?m a kayaker, but not an angler. The DW and I were out paddling yesterday, and watched a guy reel in a 20 pound carp from his kayak. It put up a pretty good fight, but ended up in the boat.

A little late here, but I have fished from a yak for many years.  Snook and tarpon in so FL.  Built a live well that ran off a motor cycle battery and pumped fresh water in and out.  Nothing like trolling a live finger mullet.  I fish for stripers up here in Maine now.  Tons of fun. 

bought a fishing model Acend fs10 from bass pro shop 2 years ago and love this to fish out of. very stable while casting.
I have a light action fly rod and the only drawback to using the L5F line matched to this rod while in the kayak is you loose line action and couldn't barrel roll being so close to the water.
I went with a L8F weighted line and it cured that problem.
the best thing about this boat is if you hang up on anything, you paddle over and fetch it.

Tom said:
If I was to buy a kayak, I'd want the foot pedal drive. I was going to ask if your Hobie Revolution has fishing pole holders, but then found this. It's a little pricey, so I think I'll stick with my float tube.

Late post and doubt it gets seen, but I have to say that down here in FL, the first thought that came to mind was:  "Hmmm, gator bait??"  :)

If you are going to fish, Hobies w/ the Mirage drives that you pedal are THE way to go. I have a tandem Oasis. My wife and I can pedal it all day and not get winded. You pedal with your feet, steer the rudder with your left hand , and either fish or drink beer with your right hand.

white water said:
If you are going to fish, Hobies w/ the Mirage drives that you pedal are THE way to go. I have a tandem Oasis. My wife and I can pedal it all day and not get winded. You pedal with your feet, steer the rudder with your left hand , and either fish or drink beer with your right hand.

Looks nice, but how where do you carry it while traveling, and how do you lift it (weighs over 100lbs)?

I lift my hobe Revolation ( 60 lbs) one end at a time, when I had a 5th wheel had a hidden hitch put on the front of my truck and a custom made t bar made (alumium ) to hold  one end and roof rack for the other. Now that we have a travel trailer just use the roof racks and load it using the truck box as a step up. Helps to have a bit of carpet or rubber runner to put  under it  so if and when you drag it while lifting it does not get damaged.
Added two peices of plastic pipe ( 2 inch dia. ) to the front of the cockpiot to hold the rod and the net, as a result of losing a good size fish and the net while trying to land it. Could not lift the darn fish with one arm so it lives to be hooked another day, anfd I visit the gym nmore often :)
Howard

Back
Top Bottom