An Australian in Colorado in an RV in August

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

philparr

G'day fellow travellers,

Just about to embark on a month in Colarado in August in a 32c class RV Minnie. We are a family of 3 ( Dad,Mum & 5 year old boy) and first time campers in the USA. We are considering to do the following route and would appreciate any advice on the roads and route and camp sites. These are the places we are thinking of heading to or visiting.
Breckenridge, Leadville, Salida, Gunnison, Montrose, Ridgeway, Grand Junction to Moab, down to Cortez. Then Durango, then back to Denver via I 25 ( thinking then maybe via Tao's if we have time.) staying in Breckenridge, Salida, Roadway, Mo ab and Duran go having a base to visit the the surrounding parks . If anybody has any recommendations for driving on the roads, (as a first time RV driver) routes and places not to miss out on any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Cheers Phil Dundee

Welcome to the Forum, Phil!

We, too, will be in Colorado in August, Gunnison, actually for a month, and you won't find a more scenic area than the one you are about to tour.

As far as roads go, you will be up and down in elevation and most of the highways will suit you fine. You may tend to get slow on the uphill portions of some of the passes but just take your time. We try to avoid a lot of high passes in the heat of the day if we can, just because.

There are many wonderful little mining towns and things to see on your way, the list goes on. There are many great stops by a river, which for you guys will be great camping spots.

Some of the Colorado folks here will recommend some state parks you don't want to miss; we typically have to miss them for size, but you shouldn't.

How long in time is your trip? Moab might be stretching you a bit and the heat at that time of the year might not be to your liking.

Lots to discuss here!

Welcome aboard!

Kim

If you have time, I would recommend venturing in to Colorado Springs and taking a ride up Pikes Peak.  They won't allow your RV, but you can either take your Toad, rent a car or use the Cog Railway out of Manitou Springs.  On a clear day you can see forever.

Mesa Verde is a must.
Black Canyon of the Gunnison.
Great Sand Dunes, folks love walking barefoot in the sand and the stream.
San Juan Skyway is a spectacular drive if you're ok driving on mountain roads.

Hovenweep national monument--Glenwood Hot springs-- Marble CO--the charcoal kilns at Carbondale

If you are into American western history, Kid Curry and Doc Holiday are buried in Glenwood Springs cemetery.

The Grand Mesa, Colorado National Monument

G'day Mate,

Manitou Cliff Dwelling is fun especially for your son.  I'd take the cog railway to the top of Pike's Peak.  It's fun and they'll stop for critter photos if there are any around.  Be sure to wear warm clothes because it's over 14,000 feet in elevation and generally is windy and cold even in the middle of summer.  But you can see forever on a clear day.  Pike's Peak was the inspiration for the song America the Beautiful.  Also Rocky Mountain National Park is beautiful.  At the top of the Ridge Road you can walk on a boardwalk among the little alpine flowers.  The end of the boardwalk is beautiful!  All the other places mentioned are great too.  But August will be HOT in the desert southwest so be prepared with water and suitable clothing, hats, sun block, etc.  I love Moab and hiking in Arches but not sure I'd want to do it in August.  Places like Mesa Verde and Hovenweep are unique for you Aussies and are worth a visit.

ArdraF

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom