Shooting fireworks with DSLR - Let's compare shots and notes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MN Blue Skies

Site Team
I'm primarily a portraiture photographer but tonight I?m going to try my hand at shooting fireworks for the first time.  Here?s my plan:

-  Use a tripod and remote shutter release.

-  Lens: 18-135 (Other lenses in camera bag.)

-  Starting point for camera settings:  Manual mode, manual focus, flash and image stabilization off, auto white balance, ISO 100,  f/11, 4 second.  Experiment after that.  Try slower shutter speed (or try bulb mode), different aperture (f/16 or f/8), change focal length, frame differently, etc.

-  Hopefully arrive early so that we can scope out the location and identify possible geographical or structural elements that can be  incorporated in the images. 

-  Capture the early bursts of fireworks because they will be the cleanest shots. Subsequent bursts usually leave smoke in the sky.

-  Take a flashlight to see camera dials and settings.

Check out Mark Wallace's video on how to shoot fireworks:  https://lensvid.com/technique/8-tips-for-shooting-fireworks

I would love to see fireworks images of other DSLR users and compare notes on what camera settings and lenses worked or didn't work.

No fireworks for me this year as the area has banned them due to extreme fire danger here in Montana - however below is from a couple years ago and follows right along your guidelines.

• Tripod with remote - Olympus E-30 DSLR - 14-54 lens
  • wide angle lens 14mm (28mm in 35 world)
  • F-22
  • 4 second exposure
  • manual focus
  • ISO 200
It was a beautiful night in Haines Alaska....

Jim

Attachments

• P7057736Rev1LoLoLo.jpg
    P7057736Rev1LoLoLo.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 65
I would never use a tripod for fireworks. It is too restricting, unless all you want is wide angle shots. Shaking the camera is usually not an issue with fireworks because it can create some bizarre effects.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/9bvn1fnOG2agHbk0Hun5FNMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

I usually start at about 1/100th of a second wide open and adjust from there. I find around a 100mm works really good.

SeilerBird said:
Shaking the camera is usually not an issue with fireworks because it can create some bizarre effects.

???  Tom, yes you did get "some bizarre effects" using camera shake.

My goal is to learn how to capture classic fireworks images with clear bursts and directional lines that I can use in composites.  I think I will stick with the techniques that Sony, Canon, Nikon, and professional photography instructors teach.

MN Blue Skies said:
Jim,  lovely image.  Do you remember what post production techniques you used?

Hardly any post - increased the contrast added a little sharpening and then ran it through Topaz Noise reduction to take out the noise in the sky mainly....

Pretty much what I do to all my shots...in Photoshop CS6.

Jim

Max, a big thanks for starting this topic.

Jim, all I can say is 'wow!'

Wigpro said:
No fireworks for me this year as the area has banned them due to extreme fire danger here in Montana...
I just drove through Texas and there is no fireworks ban here. There is a fireworks stand every one hundred yards.

The shot is incredible.

Tom, you got some neat ones regardless of the camera.  The colors are interesting on fireworks photos because you see colors that you probably didn't see in real time.  Some of yours look like flowers.  Fun for you and us!

ArdraF

OH OK - a few more from that day...

Enjoy,

Jim

Attachments

• P7057670Rev1LoLoLo.jpg
    P7057670Rev1LoLoLo.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 35
  • P7057706Rev1LoLoLo.jpg
    P7057706Rev1LoLoLo.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 29
  • P7057708Rev1LoLoLo.jpg
    P7057708Rev1LoLoLo.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 28
  • P7057709Rev1LoLoLo.jpg
    P7057709Rev1LoLoLo.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 29
  • P7057719Rev1LoLoLo.jpg
    P7057719Rev1LoLoLo.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 26
  • P7057730Rev1LoLoLo.jpg
    P7057730Rev1LoLoLo.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 29
Wigpro said:
It was a beautiful night in Haines Alaska....

Jim,  thanks for sharing more images from the location in Alaska.  Your images are so much more than a snapshot of pretty fireworks; they are memorable. Technique is one thing but composition is also very important.

Your images tell a story.  The fireworks draw my eye into the images but the cabin, reflections in the water, and the snow-capped mountains keep my attention.  I makes me wish I had been there with you. 

Just because the 4th of July is over for the this year doesn't mean that there aren't other opportunities to shoot fireworks (unless you are in an area that bans fireworks.)  In my area there is the Minnesota State Fair that has fireworks every night, the Minneapolis Aquatennial, and several county and neighborhood events. 

Confession time... I don't have any fireworks images to share because I wimped out yesterday.  I was worn out from three days of hiking and bluff climbing in SE Minnesota so I decided to take a short nap before we headed out to shoot fireworks.  I woke up 12 hours later.  Climbing a steep bluff that is the equivalent of 53 stories was a feat for this 64 year old girl.  So that's my excuse.

Please continue to post any fireworks images you take with your DSLRs and share the details of your image.  Shooting fireworks is still on my list of things to do before the summer is over. 

Happy Shooting!

I had never attempted to capture fireworks with a camera. A couple years ago at a new house we discovered the sky would fill up with fireworks so I grabbed a camera to see if I could figure out how to capture random fireworks going off all around us. IMO, it requires a tripod, manual focus and slow enough shutter speed get some of the light movement. I used bulb mode and it seemed to work. I've been using micro four thirds (baby type DSLR) with various lenses for several years now.

Here's a couple shots taken while sitting on our back patio... the early evening light shot shows my camera location where we sat behind the tall yard fence.

Attachments

• P7043526.jpg
    P7043526.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 24
  • P7042145.jpg
    P7042145.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 21
  • P7042155.jpg
    P7042155.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 21
  • P7042153.jpg
    P7042153.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 20
  • P7042006.jpg
    P7042006.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 23
Here's one handheld from the other night in Plymouth MA, where ALL fireworks are illegal, even sparklers  ;D  These are all private displays on the beach, pretty sure the bonfires are illegal too.

Not much left that is legal really except paying your taxes haha

35mm, f1.4, 1/30th second

Attachments

• PPlymouth.jpg
    PPlymouth.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 32
TyCreek said:
I had never attempted to capture fireworks with a camera.  I used bulb mode and it seemed to work.
quote]

Nice images TyCreek.  First attempt at shooting fireworks huh?  I really am going to have to study up on using bulb mode before I make my first attempt.

workerdrone said:
35mm, f1.4, 1/30th second. 

Workerdrone, Very cool setting.  It's interesting how much secondary light was created by the fireworks ground crew.  I'm guessing that the additional source of lighting is a factor to consider when shooting fireworks.  Does anyone have advice on this?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom