Solar Power

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mopar1973Man

Let see some solar power systems and write ups.

Here is what I've got going.
http://articles.mopar1973man.com/members-rides/17-mopar1973man/479-rv-solar-power

Attachment are from my last trip boondocking from St. Maries Idaho back home...

Attachments

• twinbridges.jpg
    twinbridges.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 273
  • st-maries.jpg
    st-maries.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 207
Hey Mike... on the first picture your solar panel is in the shade!! what's up with that! I thought the benefit of portable solar was to keep them in the sun.  ;D

Here's a before and after picture of our setup - six 160 watt Grape panels on the roof. They don't tilt, which is something I'm working on. We just acquired Patent Pending status on a device to remotely/electrically tilt them. Tilting them toward the sun - especially in the winter time - will yield nearly 30% more power. We love our solar!

Kev

Attachments

• Befoe & After Solar Install.jpg
    Befoe & After Solar Install.jpg
    256.3 KB · Views: 279
Kevin your no better parking the RV in the shade with the panel mounted to the roof. (LOL!) Actually there was a bit of sun poking out on the panels in that picture just not optimal. As for my power needs its really basic. charge the house batteries and charge a laptop battery. I don't really require TV being we don't have TV at home but once in awhile its nice to pull a movie out of the DVD pile and kill some time. So I need lights, water pump, and maybe some heat in the fall of the year.

I'm really curious of how good your work. I've got a local get with a 26 foot RV with roof mounted solar and his don't work good at all. Being the RV is typically park under a tree in the forest. Boondocking style. That why I went for the stand alone idea. Not to mention the snow factor it would increase snow removal issue.

Personal note: I'm a vehicle mechanic, computer technician, server administrator, Captain of a Fire Station and Search & Rescue. So the RV is the way to escape the daily work load. Boondocking is optimal because there is no internet, no cell service, no TV (over the air), etc. We are on our own. I love it that way no one for miles around. So power requirements are very basic. Also the RV is used mostly weekend warrior style.

Mike, Our panels work great. Of course we lose a bit of charging power when they become shaded, but that's life. We've got an Outback Flex-Max FM-80 MPPT charge controller that's programmed for AGM batteries, and it does a pretty good job of wringing all the power available from the panels. In the summer, the Outback puts 45 to 50 amps per hour into the batteries, and in the winter, we're seeing about 35 amps per hour. Tilting the panels would yield significantly more power.

Bruce, don't you just love your Trimetric battery monitor. In my opinion, a quality monitor like that should be one of the first things a boondocker installs. Takes all the guesswork out of knowing your battery-bank's status.

Kev

Yes Kevin I do love it, operating a system without one is like driving a car without a fuel gauge IMHO and the Trimetric is a very good monitor.  I installed it prior to the solar install to gather information on our usage.

If I may throw another log on the fire...

I'm with Mike. We get out of the rat race when we can. We have the convenience of our own sanctuary in the woods to get our heads screwed on straight again. Being in the woods, solar is not an option without clearing a bunch of oaks, pines, and maples. Not going to happen.
Mopar travels and chooses to bring solitude along with him. Where ever he goes. We chose to buy a bunch of land to surround ourselves with it naturally.

I wish I could have a solar setup like those pic'ed before me.
If my batteries get low, and I don't feel like firing up the genny, I use campfire light to not trip over anything. Or grab a flashlight to make my way to bed. All is quiet. No expense or complication invested.

I love the good old days.

I've tried the whole RV parks and campground ideas. I really can't deal with RV parks. Like I tell most I live with over 400 foot gap on both sides of me why would I go to a RV park and have less than 10 foot between my neighbors? The other thing is RV parks and campgrounds are getting expensive in places. Your basically renting a chunk of dirt for the price of a cheap motel now. Why? I've got everything I need in a RV. So hence the boondocking. I've also go gasoline power genny but I really hate to listen to that thing run at 50% load just charging the batteries.

More on charging batteries...
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_the_lead_acid_battery

So are you going to run a genny for extended period of time to enable the proper bulking time which might be hours. Or would you just place your solar panels out in the sun even if you used a extension cord. Then you can bulk all day long and have power at night. That's another thing I want to do is modify my current panel setup to use a outlet or the current plug and build a extension cord to give me more length to my panels so I can tuck deeper into the trees and still be able to place my panels in the sun.

Mike

I'm with you on the campground thing. We wanted all of the modern niceties after roughing it while camping for decades but one trip crammed into a spot where you could hear the people softly talking around their camp fire a few spots away and we headed back to the hills.

I'm hoping to get my system installed this summer if the weather ever clears. we have had one week between the spring storms and the summer monsoon season so it will be a bit here and there. Right now I am witing for the lugs for the 1/0 wire I have.

We have three 250w GT panels ran by a Morningstar TS-MPPT-60. Even though it isn't mounted we can still use all or part if the weather clears. I did run a test of the system and the 5000 BTU air conditioner on one of the hottest days so far. The system ran it directly from 11 am to 3 pm with no drop in voltage on the battery. It will also power a hot plate using 470w, a 400 watt heater or adds a big assist in running the larger items like the microwave.

Here is the driveway test of the air conditioner. The panels are flat as they will be mounted. They pushed 45a all day but they are in series, parallel will push more and keep the controller cooler. Tracking the system would be good for over 55a.

Attachments

• bcc203186e15eac79d9514bc1e28d858.jpg
    bcc203186e15eac79d9514bc1e28d858.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 154
I picked them up for $525 here locally, new and with a warranty. One of the owners of Navajo Solar lives south of me and orders extra panels to sell off with every big project they get. I could have had 280w for a little more or picked up 300w white sheet panels for around the same.

Attachments

• 1-NewSolar_zpsc8f5f9e7.JPG
    1-NewSolar_zpsc8f5f9e7.JPG
    98.8 KB · Views: 99
Tom

I love your panels. Have you worked out doing it with the flexible panels yet?

The 180 watt panel is a flexible panel that I mounted in a frame. I purchased the flexible panel because of its light weight. The 125 watt panel was a bit heavy. The 180 watt with frame weighs 12 lbs.
I bought the panel here: http://store.evtv.me/proddetail.php?prod=180wsolarpanel.

When I bought the panel it was 12 volt. The panel is now sold as 24 volt.

Jim,

Wow! Those are some big panels! Impressive that they'd be able to power an A/C unit. I just noticed that you also mentioned solar tracking. Are you considering that?

Kev

Mopar1973Man said:
Let see some solar power systems and write ups.

Here is what I've got going.
http://articles.mopar1973man.com/members-rides/17-mopar1973man/479-rv-solar-power

This website won't allow me to view it unless I disable my ad blocker.  It says:

"Due to large number of people using ad block like programs we require that they be disabled so that Mopar1973Man.Com can generate income."

Kev

I went with 750w to get away from tracking or even tilting. The last two systems were 230w and 490w on the ground and tracking. Full power all day is addictive but such the hassle. Maybe not so much when we set up for a week or two but lots when we hit the road. I have thought about using a pole mount on the tongue with a pair of panels tracking but it's just easier to mount on the roof.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom