04 Fleetwood Pace Arrow Slide out issue Power Gear

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PCarillon

The Dinette/ Couch slide on our 37c would not work properly last night. WE had retracted slide to move to another area where we were staying. When we tried to open the slide it started to move and then made snapping sounds as it moved then the slide stopped. Tried to move it back in and it moved alittle making same noise then stopped. The slide wasnt fully in so I crawled under coach with a light to see if I could see any issues.I then had DW try and get slide to move  after a couple toggles of switch the slide started to move in and I told her to keep going.I could see the shaft turning and the it would make a snapping noise and move the slide in.It was given a rockin motion at every sound I am thinking the drive gears in the gearbox on motor have an issue.Probably a broken tooth I cant see the numbers on the Power gear Motor that is having issues but did find the number 523900 on the kitchen slide out motor across from it and since it looks the same and has a black boot I would assume they used the same motor but I am going to try and clean the over spray off that motor this afternoon and verify the number.My question is  can you get just a new gearbox or will I have to replace the whole motor assembly.The motor is in the middle and has a double shaft and seems simple to replace.

Usually the gear is on the shaft, where it engages with the rack mounted to the slide. The motor is just a motor, with no internal gears. The motor is designed to provide the torque needed without any internal gearing in the motor itself.

On my 02 Pace I sheared the pin on the gear on the shaft.  If you look, you will find the gear and the rack.  Look to see if it moves with the shaft.  With a 3/16 or so punch, I was able to clear out the old pin and align the gear then insert a new pin.  On the bedroom slide it sheared pins all the time until I had it realigned.

I could see both the gears on outer shaft they were fine so I determined it was coming from motor assembly.As I suspected it is in the motor gearset. Easy to pull motor and I opened it up. Now question is do you spend $800 on a Power Gear motor assembly or $320 on a replacement motor that looks just like it and is supposed to the replacement motor made by the same company.

Attachments

• gear1.jpg
    gear1.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 23
  • gear2.jpg
    gear2.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 22
Now  gary to me this has a gearset on motor and is not "just" a motor. Not sure if I am calling it right but my slide motors have about 4 gears in that case. Here is a picture of 2 on EBAY one is a Power Gear the other is supposedly made by the company who used to produce them for PG

Attachments

• $_12.JPG
    $_12.JPG
    20 KB · Views: 21
  • $_12a.JPG
    $_12a.JPG
    14.9 KB · Views: 20
Two thoughts on this:  can you locate and replace the bad gear?  What jammed things up and stripped the gear?  It will possibly do the same to new ones.  You need to find what caused the problem.

When my gear broke it cracked the gear case as well. I found more variations of the motor and case than you would beleive but no one had parts to sell. I purchased a used set with the right gear case and mounted my motor to it that has worked fine for me for two years and I am keeping the slightly lower torque motor as an emergency backup.

When I started to remove the assembly I found that it had come loose from the frame, putting a side lead on the drive shaft that probably was the initial cause. I checked the other similar slide and found that motor loose as well.

We have no Idea what caused this..... we put the slide in to move over to another area no issues then went to open slide and gear broke making a knocking sound.Nothing is bound that I can see.I found CHS incorporated sells a motor for this.I wish I could find a place that makes the gear set as thats all it needs.I will contact them tomorrow and see what I can find out.

Now  gary to me this has a gearset on motor and is not "just" a motor.

You are right - definitely a geared motor.  None of my Power Gear slides have had those gears - just a low speed, high torque motor without any gear box (and I've owned several). I gather from the comments of others that yours is not unusual, though. Live and learn!

NP Gary just wanted to make sure I was calling it right.I went ahead and ordered a new motor from CSH Electrical Motor Supply http://www.cshincorporated.com/ directly instead of buying on there EBay page to save another $20 after shipping. they state on there Ebay page that they used to Make Power Gears Motors before  the went to overseas supplier. I paid $299 plus shipping which I thought was a good deal considering RV places online wanted anywhere from $700-900+ for my motor and I did find a PG motor on ebay that was $660.I also looked at CSh Ebay page and pulled up the sold motors  and up until a few weeks ago  they were selling for $595. I got the motor today and it Looked Identical to my PG Gear motor size and all. I installed it all is back to normal though I thinkI need to add a half turn to one side of slide as its not closing  completely on one end so it must of backed off just a tad after I pulled the motor out,I will mess with  that maybe tomorrow as rain was close. I just wanted to update about the motor.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom