EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Fresh Water from well - Water softened or Softner bypassed  (Read 1230 times)

1PlasticMan1

• ---
Fresh Water from well - Water softened or Softner bypassed
« on: July 04, 2015, 04:29:53 PM »
 :-\ I would like a recommendation as to what fresh water from my home should I use.  I have a well, and due to the high mineral content (mostly magnese), have had to install a water softner system, so the bleach would not turn clothes black when they are being washed.  I now notice that the softened water (salt type) leaves a pink film on things if allowed to sit and dry, so am wondering which water I should use to fill my fresh water tank  I am concerned about shortening the life of my water pump.  We do not intend to drink the water, just to bath and wash dishes.  Anyone have any experience?  I have access to either type.
2016 Bounder 33C
2008 T&C - Ltd.
2010 LR2
and Frisco

Jim Godward

• ---
Re: Fresh Water from well - Water softened or Softner bypassed
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2015, 06:12:01 PM »
I recommend you contact the RV Filter store for recommendations.

https://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 07:51:22 PM by Tom »
Jim
Jim & Pat Godward
AC7PO & KD7ZDM
Hillsboro, Oregon

Hoosier Daddy

• ---
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2015, 06:28:29 AM »
I too have a well and a water softener and if I had a choice would use the softened water My water is hard from the iron / sulfur / limestone content... BUT.
My outdoor spigots are not plumbed with softened water. They are tied in to the piping before the softener. You may want to check that.
 In all honesty I think you would have to run a LOT of water  through your campers plumbing for a very long time for it to be detrimental either way.
Scott & Rhonda
Kendallville, IN.

TT: 2011 Dutchmen 265BHS
TV: 2013 Ford F-150 S-Cab

"Don't do anything during the Day that will cause you to loose sleep at Night"

Rene T

• ---
  • Great being on the right side of the grass
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2015, 06:41:04 AM »
I too have a well and a water softener and if I had a choice would use the softened water My water is hard from the iron / sulfur / limestone content... BUT.
My outdoor spigots are not plumbed with softened water. They are tied in to the piping before the softener. You may want to check that.
 In all honesty I think you would have to run a LOT of water  through your campers plumbing for a very long time for it to be detrimental either way.

This may be getting off the subject a little but mine outside spigots were also piped the same way. With a little modification, Now I'm able to switch a couple of valves and it gives me the choice of either Hard water or water that's been through the salt filter system. I use the hard water when washing the cars and watering the lawn and garden.
Rene & Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

Conquest2011

• ---
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2015, 07:18:59 AM »
I also have well water with a water conditioner. I would either fill the fresh water tank with conditioned well water or fill from municipality (city water). I know if I filled with unconditioned water my holding tank will end up orange from the iron and besides my water is so nasty you can not shower in it. The rocks from the water hurts when showering. My water is hard as a rock. :)

I plan on getting a portable water conditioner for our rig when we get one. Conditioned water has us spoiled. I even wash the autos with conditioned no water spots.
Steven & LeVere

Waiting our next adventure conveyance
2007 Royal Star Tour Deluxe
2008 C90T Suzuki

Wish list  375RE Solitude
              Ford F350 Diesel dually Fully loaded

Mopar1973Man

• ---
  • Dodge Cummins Powered / Jayco Eagle Living
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2015, 07:54:31 AM »
I'm a lucky one then. Our well water is nearly just pure water. Some mineral content but nothing is required for water softener or filtering. Even the irrigation water from the creek is clean to drink too no issues with that either. 
Mopar1973Man (AKA: Michael Nelson) located out in the state of Idaho with...
2002 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins Turbo Diesel
2000 Jayco Eagle FBS 296
2013 BigTex 70TV Utility Trailer

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2015, 08:13:36 AM »
Use the softened water. Whatever it may have in it, it is less damaging than the hard stuff.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

1PlasticMan1

• ---
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2015, 11:02:38 AM »
Thanks, all.  I have my home setup so that one outside spigot is for unsoftened well water, which we use for plants, washing car, etc.
Have another spigot that will give me the softened water.
2016 Bounder 33C
2008 T&C - Ltd.
2010 LR2
and Frisco

Hoosier Daddy

• ---
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2015, 06:56:05 PM »
You dogs.... Now I gotta go check what kind of T's and ball valves I need to sweat into the copper pipes to get softened water to my outdoor spigots!
 ::)
Scott & Rhonda
Kendallville, IN.

TT: 2011 Dutchmen 265BHS
TV: 2013 Ford F-150 S-Cab

"Don't do anything during the Day that will cause you to loose sleep at Night"

1PlasticMan1

• ---
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2015, 12:02:01 PM »
Sorry, the trick was to get unsoftened water to an outside spigot so that the salt would not kill some of our house plants.  Had my plumber do it when we installed the softener.
2016 Bounder 33C
2008 T&C - Ltd.
2010 LR2
and Frisco

Bobmws

• ---
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2015, 07:48:17 AM »
Sorry, the trick was to get unsoftened water to an outside spigot so that the salt would not kill some of our house plants.  Had my plumber do it when we installed the softener.

The salt solution is used to clean the resin that softens the water. You should not be getting salt in your water if the system is working properly. I clean the valve on the softening system and replace and lube the O-rings yearly due to mineral build up that 'could' allow salt solution to enter the treated water.
I use the softened water in our coach, and change it monthly (not chlorinated). Came in handy when we lost the well pump last month!
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 07:50:16 AM by Bobmws »
Bob & Vicki
Central Florida
2001 Keystone Tailgator Toy Hauler

Chet18013

• ---
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2015, 08:16:03 AM »
They make Greensand filters specifically for the removal of iron and manganese. We had one on our house and they do work. You'll have to do a little hunting to find a water softener dealer that will also sell you a GreenSand filter, but they are there. We had ours installed ahead of the water softener. Also you will need to regularly treat your water softener for iron removal from the resin. Do a Google search on Greansand and also Iron Out.

Since we have started full time in our motorhome, I carry a small water softener and we use it at every campground we stop at. Prevents the scale and spots as well as water heater scale up.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 08:21:26 AM by Chet18013 »
Chet18013
Full time in a 45' '04 Monaco Signature
towing a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel

1PlasticMan1

• ---
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2015, 05:40:19 PM »
Thanks, will check it out. ;D
2016 Bounder 33C
2008 T&C - Ltd.
2010 LR2