Dish Satellite Reception in Southern Ontario

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bill N

I now have Dish Pay As You Go Satellite service for our trip that starts tomorrow.  We will be camping several days in southern Ontario about 20 miles from Lake Erie and  50 miles east of Detroit.  Will I be able to get service there on my Tailgater?  Dish Rep is evasive about answering t he question but admitted 'if I was not too far into Canada'.  What I am really interested in is getting local channels so I can watch the MLB All-Star Game on FOX which is on during the time I am in Canada.  I could tell them I am in Detroit or Cleveland and see I could receive the local stations but wondering if anybody has experience in this area.  Thanks.  Leaving tomorrow morning.

Yes you will get it easily, actually "not too far into Canada" extends a loonng way in. He was evasive because receiving US satellite TV in Canada is unlawful, thus he would not make any commitment on behalf of Dish, although for many years it was in a very gray area, and it still is nearly impossible to enforce, I would imagine. I wonder each time I see the number of Dish/Direct and "Unknown" brands of dishes mounted in full view on buildings around here!!

Whether or not you will receive "local channels" will depend on what you mean by "local". Most local channel broadcasts in USA are spot beamed and thus limited to about 200 miles from their intended local area. You can always call Dish to change the service address to one near the closest big city on the US side, not mentioning your real location, and thus not raise any suspicions. I think this can be done by "chat" on the internet too.

As an FYI: In Canada, we cannot legally subscribe to either Dish or Direct with a Canadian address. For travellers like you, there should be no problem.  Legally there are only two satellite companies we can subscribe to, Bell Expressvue and Shaw. ExpressVue's signal no longer extends more than about 200 miles below the border, Shaw's signal still extends a bit further. Their programming is basically from the USA along with Canadian content.

On another thread, I saw you "left your gun at home"!!! Good boy!!

Welcome to Canada and have a wonderful trip!!

Thanks Stu.  I am glad to hear the info you provided.  Will find me a Detroit RV park address and use that for my 'local address'.  I tried many ways to bring the gun and leave it on the US side but nothing worked out that I could trust enough to bring it and try.  My old homemade baseball bat will just have to do on the ner-do-wells.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom