sulfur smell in water supply

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zorba

our water in our newly replaced water system now smells of sulfur. And the water is kind of greyish black. How do we remove the black ick and smell? How do we prevent this from occurring in the future?

How recent is "newly replaced"? If it was a professional installation there should be some kind of warranty.

If that's not an option, a little more info could be helpful.  Is it cold water, hot water, on-board tank, outside inlet? How much of the system was replaced? Did the problem start right after the work or was there some time between?

Ray

Not sure what you mean by 'water system'. The hot water heater? Water pump? Filter setup? All the plumbing? Usually that kind of smell is a old anode, but black in the water could also be an issue in a charcoal filter. Have you had the anode replaced? If not, take it out and see if that is the problem. A bad anode is pretty obvious. If the filter is a possible culprit, go talk to the installer again.

A black coloring is often a deteriorating charcoal-based water filter. If you have one of those, replace it.

Sulfur smell may be the ground water itself or a bacteria growing in the water heater tank. It's a harmless bacteria, but the "rotten egg" smell is bad! You need to sanitize the RV water system with a chlorine solution to get rid of it. See the RVForum Library article on Sanitizing at http://www.rvforum.net/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=110:water-system-sanitizing&catid=42&Itemid=132

Camped a while back in south Florida and the water at a good campground suddenly went from OK to sulfur stinky. When I complained to the  manager, he said "Oh, the "Cloreeen" must have run out"!

Might want to check the source?

I've seen some home wells up here that have that horrid sulphur smell that is typically from the mineral content of the water.

I;ve heard about the sulphur smell from the water heater but never really experienced it yet.

Sulfur smell in the water heater is usually from too low temperature, warm enough to promote growth, not hot enough to sanitize.  120 deg or higher clears it up.

Ray

Sulfur smell from hot water heater is often caused by the residual salts in artificially softened water. The salts attack the zinc anode.
The anode is easy and cheap to replace on a camper heater. It is usually attached to the drain plug.

Mopar1973Man said:
I;ve heard about the sulphur smell from the water heater but never really experienced it yet.

Most of the parks we frequent have private wells.  If I forget to drain the water heater when we get home, I'm treated to the rotten egg smell from the hot side.  Never happens when we are on a municipal supply.  I just drain the tank when we get home and put the plug back in.  Takes a few minutes to burp the system when we go the next time, but no big deal. 

The smell is repulsive.

Disconnect your fresh water line at the spigot. Fill the hose with household bleach. Usually 2 or 3 cup full. Reconnect the hose and turn on the water supply. Run the water inside both hot and cold. Should solve the problem!

Scott  :)

The posts about about draining and sanitizing are what I wold follow.
I have see the "Sulfur smell" straight from several well in N.C. awhile back.
Most likely ypu were filled with it.

I was surprised that then I found it and asked about it, the locals thought nothing of it.

I was surprised that then I found it and asked about it, the locals thought nothing of it.

They're so used to it that they probably don't even realize it.  Pittsburghers are so used to water that tastes like iron that they look at me like I'm crazy when I comment on it.  Very hard or very soft water usually doesn't taste so great, unless you grew up with it and don't "know" better.

Ardra

Back
Top Bottom