RV Park, F-16 and Cessna Crash in SC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That is a good question.. I know the laws if a car hits an RV that is parked in Michigan (Car owner pays or his insurance) but I do not know what applies here.. I suspect the Air Farce will make it right (no that's not a typo) but it is a good question.

What remains unswered is who got into who's air space  The F-16 or the Cessna.  Here is another area where I know the law of the sea (Row boat has right-a-way over sail boat over power boat/ship) (However smaller boat better get the waves out of the way of the Queen Mary cause it can not turn nearly as fast).... But I do not know if that applies to the sky as well.

But I do not know if that applies to the sky as well.

In general terms, yes, but there are certain airspace types (especially near large cities, or near a field with a control tower) where you are required to be in contact with ATC. Still, even within those areas (unless ATC clearances specify otherwise), the right of way is analogous to that of the sea (even derived from it).

When not in clouds, see and avoid still applies, also.

That said, an F-16 can be a bear to see from ahead (as well as several other angles), and any aircraft can be awkward to spot under certain circumstances. Under 10,000 feet MSL (altitude referenced to Mean Sea Level) there is a 250 knot speed limit, with exceptions for aircraft that wouldn't be safe to fly that slowly (rare bird).

The little I've seen about the collision doesn't specify anything about airspace type, or even whether the Cessna was talking to ATC (nor whether it was required to do so).

TV news this morning showed an AF officer saying the F-16 was doing practice instrument approaches into charleston..... for what that's worth....

The NTSB will work it all out. In the meantime, I'm sure the insurance company will want to be responsible for as little as possible.  VFR\IFR, Controlled airspace, MARSA, ( military assumes responsibility for separation, just a few of things that will be looked at by all concerned parties.  Just hope the aluminum showers did not hurt anyone on the ground.  Damage can be repaired, lives not replaced.

Now to read the article....

Jim

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom