EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: When a full-timer is being hassled in the neighborhood  (Read 8576 times)

kdbgoat

• ---
Re: When a full-timer is being hassled in the neighborhood
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2015, 01:49:45 PM »
I used to work with the homeless and I think the 95% figure is way too low. More like 99%. If you don't have a drug problem and you aren't a grade A alcoholic, then getting help from your family, friends or social services is not that difficult. Neither is it a problem to find a job. If you are on the streets it is because there is no other option and no one else will put up with your crap.
I don't work with homeless folks, but I do hire (and fire) for my dept. at work. Finding good help that can pass a random drug test is a serious issue. And yes, we have checked and our wages are inline with the rest of the area and a bit higher than some.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said,
But I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant

2016 Leprechaun 319DS

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Everything I state is my opinion.
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2015, 02:10:43 PM »
I don't work with homeless folks, but I do hire (and fire) for my dept. at work. Finding good help that can pass a random drug test is a serious issue. And yes, we have checked and our wages are inline with the rest of the area and a bit higher than some.
How can the homeless afford drugs? And if they are homeless why not quit drugs and find a job?
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
Life list of birds:
https://goo.gl/photos/xuP9zPD2KP2swN1g8
2016 photos:
https://goo.gl/photos/aXQPbnVpgzNvs4Jq8
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7

Kim (skyking4ar2) Bertram

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • I don't know what I don't know so I look here...
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2015, 03:03:26 PM »
How can the homeless afford drugs? And if they are homeless why not quit drugs and find a job?

If you understood addiction, as does my wife who is a Licensed Professional Counselor with a drug and alcohol specialty, you would understand addiction is not logical and addicts will always find a way to procure their fix.

And while some homeless people have addictions, many more suffer other mental issues that compound the problem.

If it was as simple a solution as you suggest, the problem would not exist.
Kim & Christi Bertram
SKP 106183
FMCA 420913
----------------------------------
2012 Thor Damon Tuscany 42RQ
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel
Taos Monte Bello RV Park, El Prado, NM

Diesel Don

• ---
  • Looking to start traveling the road soon!
    • Dream Nannies
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2015, 07:35:56 AM »

There are many other ways to "pay" for drugs besides cash.  You have to expand your options here...   Like the last poster said, sadly its a lot more complicated than you can imagine.  If you only knew what these chemicals will do to an otherwise functioning human mind its amazing.   I'm so blessed to have never been hooked on any of it.  I've seen more damage done by drugs over the years than I care to say.

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Everything I state is my opinion.
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2015, 09:49:12 AM »
There are many other ways to "pay" for drugs besides cash.  You have to expand your options here...   Like the last poster said, sadly its a lot more complicated than you can imagine.  If you only knew what these chemicals will do to an otherwise functioning human mind its amazing.   I'm so blessed to have never been hooked on any of it.  I've seen more damage done by drugs over the years than I care to say.
I don't have any trouble imagining it, I have been hooked on many things. I have unhooked myself from all of them. It is not hard if you really have the desire.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
Life list of birds:
https://goo.gl/photos/xuP9zPD2KP2swN1g8
2016 photos:
https://goo.gl/photos/aXQPbnVpgzNvs4Jq8
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7

cadee2c

• ---
  • If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane.
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2015, 05:48:05 PM »
In recent years its been discovered that almost half the homeless men surveyed have had brain injuries that occurred before they became homeless, a lot of them as children.  Childhood brain injuries result in learning disabilities which will result in lower income as an adult, which is an indicator for potential homelessness. A lot of the homeless also have mental illness such as schizophrenia and bipolar disorder and similar disorders. The addictions more a symptom of these than the cause. 
Caryl- Pilot
Bob- Navigator
Mister Hank - homeland security
Buddy the Dog-  Soul Mutt, forever in our hearts.

1997 Holiday Rambler Endeavor
2010 Jeep Liberty

Follow your arrow, wherever it points

Bill N

• ---
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2015, 07:10:49 PM »
If it had been thirty years ago, I wouldn't have seen a problem with him staying overnight. And probably back then there wouldn't have been trash dumped in your yard. People have lost respect for other people. Don't feel bad. I would have been the first to call the PD.

So true Rene.  It is a much different world today than it was 30 or 40 years ago.  I can remember as a kid (over 60 years ago) when a tramp (nice old word huh?), one who was riding the rails, came to the back door and asked mom if he could work for a sandwich.  He did some leaf raking (saved me from it) and mom gave him a full meal along with ice tea and a couple of buck to help him along.  He didn't hang around and moved along which was what 'tramps' usually did in those days.  What Tunie had was just a bum looking for a place to squat overnight (maybe in more ways than one) in between trips to the food kitchen during the day.  As I said, to me it is a different world we live in now.  Trust and compassion is not nearly as freely given as before - AND - for good reasons sometimes.
Bill & Joan N in Missouri
USAF (Ret)
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 35U
Workhorse W22, 8.1L Chevy V8
2013 Chevy Sonic Toad
Furbearers:  Heidi-17(Forever), Grace-10 & Squeak-4, Winnie - 5 months

CLiNTon

• ---
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2015, 11:54:16 AM »
...And poverty in this country is largely a choice in comparison to many other places around the world.
The government does an excellent job for the most part in creating and enabling income inequality via the welfare state.
There are also an awful lot of people who just don't want to work or take any responsibility for themselves whatsoever.

So the next time you find yourself in need to offer your sympathies to someone you THINK is down & out, make certain that it's well placed.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 11:59:52 AM by CLiNTon »
2006 Dodge RAM 2500 Diesel
2013 Shadow Cruiser S225RBS from Cruiser RV

cadee2c

• ---
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2015, 04:19:11 PM »
Just for the record, some people do not agree with some of these statements.
Caryl- Pilot
Bob- Navigator

2010 Jeep Liberty

Ernie n Tara

• ---
  • Life is Good - Together
« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2015, 02:34:51 PM »
And that is a large part of the problem! Certainly there are disabled people and we should  try to support them, but when it gets to the third or fourth generation, it's time for tough love.

I've also tried to find EE's, who would at least show up, without notable success.  I even initiated a program at a major corp. where I was able to forgive failing drug tests and similar problems,  but ultimately had to give up due to consistent recidivism despite counseling and other support measures. No way to hold them accountable!!

And lest you think I'm a silly PC type, I grew up on the wrong side of the tracks, got a ninth grade education, left home and retired comfortably by taking advantage of the opportunities that are everywhere in this great country. Sympathy,  yes for some, but many others simply find it more comfortable to live off the rest of us!

Ernie
Ernie 'n Tara

2011 Winn Journey 34y
2012 Jeep Rubicon - Dozer (orange - kinda)
2006 Jeep Wrangler

INTJohn

• ---
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2015, 06:36:45 AM »
Well this thread went from fulltimer being hasseled to a group dissertation on homeless peeps........ lol

My guess in op is that the guy is simply going thru a divorce and as is usually the case the guy gets tossed out of the house.......and he had to live someplace and he grabbed the old rv (cause she didn't want it) to crash in till stability returns.

That being said I'll move on to Ocean Beach San Diego: Peeps abound there who live out of their cars, trucks, vans rv's etc: some from short term necessity others just like it and so they live that way; others like me winter near the SD beaches. Peeps of all ages - from 18-20 year old university idealists in search of whatever to 70 yr old first generation 'surfer dudes' who love the beach ........ Its a very interesting lifestyle and I enjoy hangin with em when I'm there in the winter. Hell I'm one of them. while I park my trailer in one a the RV parks I frequently hang with em on the beach in my burb or my bicycle.

The parking rules at Ocean Beach are NO Parking in the Beach lots from 3AM till 5 AM which means you can hang there for 22 hours but not 24 hours...... Around 9pm to 2 am or so everyone typically moves out to find a safe spot to park for awhile - usually in an industrial area - as you will most likely get hassled by the POolees if you bunk up on a side street in a residential area.......... also if you're in that lot 1 minute past 3am not only WILL you get a ticket you might even get towed away. give the cop any crap whatsoever and you'll get a handcuft ride in a backseat.

Then sometime between 5am and 10 am we all return to the beach parking lot for the next beach daily ditto..........trust me on this - if you don't have a spot by 10:30am its going to take you a long while to find one and it probably won't be where you really would like to be.

Sometimes I just ride my bicycle to the beach with sleeping bag and - then I can bunk up there all night right on the beach sand - especially if I plan on enjoying
one of the often occurring campfire all nighters (there's ALWAYS at least 1 peep with a guitar).......... :^) U can sign me: Fulltimer who never has gotten hassled.

Thanx.........INTJohn

CLiNTon

• ---
« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2015, 11:50:26 PM »
Much of the PC mindset seems to [erroniously] think that it's all the fault of society, and that they would have us elevate victimization to a point of total un-reality when in fact
most people are 100% responible for their own actions & predicaments.

There's nothing wrong with the fulltiming lifestyle provided one does so responsibly, instead of leaching off the kindness of other and taking advantage
of a stupid and erronious PC mindset that seems to permeate like the social disease that it actually is.
2006 Dodge RAM 2500 Diesel
2013 Shadow Cruiser S225RBS from Cruiser RV

oldme

• ---
« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2015, 07:46:52 PM »
I agree with all Gary has said.
No need for me to repeat it.

PKworks

• ---
  • Life is an ADVENTURE, enjoy it while you can!!
« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2015, 06:11:50 AM »
Oh my goodness, I know I am late to this discussion but hope some will reread and see my little story that is the other side of the coin.
    My partner and I took care of my mother the last 4 years of her life but when she died there was no will. That said we were going to be homeless very quickly, you see the state of California paid us to take care of her so she could live out the rest of her life in her home where we also lived with her to care for her 24/7. We quickly had an open house yard sale and sold as much as we could, much to my grief at not being able to keep more memories but I am getting off track. We managed to get a MINI camper for my Toyota 4 X 4, cab over the cab (it was so small I could stand at the end of the truck open the camper door and wash the entire floor, I am only 5ft7in tall!! lol) This became HOME for us 5 cats and a dog...cozy to say the least!!
     My partner quickly got another job and I was out looking when some guy runs a red light and T-bones me almost flipping the truck and camper over (I had no insurance as my partner had not even gotten a first check yet) so no law suit or settlement  came NOT EVEN repairs (Now I go without eating to be sure I have full coverage ALWAYS!!)...the worst was that I got hurt...this was the beginning of the end of my vertebrae at L4 thru S1...so every day My partner (Pam btw) goes to work and I stayed in the camper caring for the animals in the parking lot of her job. At the end of the day we were in the same city as a friend so we would park on the street across from his place (across because his place was a 6 unit apartment building with no vacancies at the time) We never left trash, nor played loud music and the truck did look ok...YET someone called the police and we were harassed out of bed at about 1am to MOVE IT ALONG!! Back then and I am speaking this happened about 20 years ago (but people are still the same...some true Christians, some just grumpy always having a bad day. We didn't call ourselves "fulltime RV'ers" but to keep our chins up and hope alive we called ourselves the "High Class Homeless" cuz we carried our home in a truck not a grocery cart. There are always those that will not take a minute to think "Gee I wonder what happened that they have to live like that" Not one of my high school friends said "when I graduate I am getting the best shopping cart and put all my worldly goods in it and live on the street!"
     As for your worries about your older RV...some parks do want newer ones but then those parks usually charge way to much by the night anyway!! LOL I have found that as long as the outside looks in decent shape there isn't a problem, especially if YOU are nice to the management and show some manners too! Pam and I are happy to announce we have been together for over 30 years and this past May we finally able to get married LEGALLY IN ARIZONA!!! With the managements permission, we had our wedding in an RV Park we like ( See posting for Desert Sands RV Park Phoenix, AZ). Life is better and we got our dream to retire to full time RV-ers in a bit bigger rig (33 feet with slide out, only 2 cats but now 2 large dogs!! LOL) Good Luck to you and no worries, karma is great and goes on INTENTION!!

Karlene
1998 National Dolphin
Home base is Phoenix, Az

RodgerS

• ---
  • You get what you inspect.
« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2015, 10:49:22 AM »
I sort of skimmed through this thread, but I think it was titled incorrectly. I think it should have been titled "When a homeless man in a decrepit van parks in your neighborhood...what should you do?" Calling him a full-timer is a misclassification.

Years ago I saw a homeless man peeing on the side of my house, but I was too far away to do anything. The next morning I waited and caught him doing it again. My solution was to turn the hose on him. He never came back.

On the other side of the coin, if someone parked their rv for the night near my house, as long as it was in reasonable condition, it wouldn't bother me at all as long as he/she was visiting for a few days or just wanted to get some sleep before getting on the road the next day. But don't leave any garbage behind.

I hope someone will ask me what my point was. Hint: might have something to do with nothing.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 10:56:36 AM by RodgerS »
Gone RVing with Susan
Class B- RV: 2001 Mercedes CLK320 Soft Top

cadee2c

• ---
« Reply #45 on: October 05, 2015, 01:35:52 PM »
My solution was to turn the hose on him.

This is something you are proud of?
Caryl- Pilot
Bob- Navigator

2010 Jeep Liberty

RodgerS

• ---
  • You get what you inspect.
« Reply #46 on: October 05, 2015, 03:40:05 PM »
Yes. You come over to my house and you will get the same treatment if you behave in the same manner.

If you use the side of my bushes one time, I might give you a pass.

But if you have a motorhome, you better use your own pot.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 03:44:29 PM by RodgerS »
Gone RVing with Susan
Class B- RV: 2001 Mercedes CLK320 Soft Top

Hosted by Over The Network