Let's see some of the places you boondock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mopar1973Man

Lot of mine are in large pull outs along the highway. I've been known to boondock outside Riggins, ID by the rodeo grounds for Jet boat weekend. I typically work the safety boat. I've got a few place on forestry roads when there is unmarked campgrounds or large log decks where you could setup for boondocking.

One of my early adventures.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egBt6Zl0vs4

nice quite spot out in the middle of nowhere NC

Attachments

• IMG_0042.jpg
    IMG_0042.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 282
We have been using the south park rangers district of the Pike NF near Jefferson, Co.

Attachments

• P1016869.jpg
    P1016869.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 265
Here's a few...

Picture 1 was taken at an area called KOFA, which is about 25 miles south of Quartzsite, AZ. It's BLM property and we've camped there each year for the last 20 years. This picture was taken about three months before our solar system was installed. You can see why shading usually isn't a problem for us.  :) Picture 2 is my favorite subject to take pictures of, Jo Jo, our granddaughter. This was also taken at KOFA. She, of course, loves to go camping! Picture 3 was taken at Paulina Lake in Oregon in July of 2014. It's a boondocking campground at an elevation of about 6200 feet in the Oregon mountains. I had to make about a 15 point turn to get the motorhome wedged into the campsite. Shading was definitely a factor there, but portable panels wouldn't have been much help. You'd have to string them about 1/4 mile to get them out of the shade. That's okay - that's why God made generators.

Kev

Attachments

• KOFA.jpg
    KOFA.jpg
    244.2 KB · Views: 396
  • Jo Jo Driving.jpg
    Jo Jo Driving.jpg
    270 KB · Views: 337
  • Paulina Lake.JPG
    Paulina Lake.JPG
    253.2 KB · Views: 368
After using the systems portable I can tell you that being able to track all day is addictive. The rest of it is a hassle and I am soooo looking forward to having the system mounted this season. I picked up the bank Friday consisting of three Lifeline 8-D agm. Even with those and 750w of solar we will take the generator if we hit the road.

Kevin,

That is a beautiful rig!  Wow.

Is the sun eating up the paint?  I know it says it is a 2011 but I was curious how it is holding up to the elements?

I guess there is nothing you can do about it cause you have to use it.  I am going to upgrade mine once the first one is paid off.  I am hoping to find something that year that has been stored under cover or indoors when not in use.  I saw a black one that the owner said absorbed so much heat that the panel on the drivers side rear was de-laminating and coming off the frame.  Was very sad.

How is yours holding up?

OK, now why is Jo Jo not in the first pictrure and only in the other two......

I think that taking your grandaughter camping is the best part of boondocking for you guys.

Hope to see you in Q later. 

BTW Your paint looks fine to me.

Willie... So far the paint is holding up well, but I spend a fair amount of time washing and UV-protecting it. Of course Winnie put two coats of clear-coat on it at the factory, and that makes a big difference. This is our 3rd Class A and our previous two were always kept in our motorhome garage when they weren't in use. They looked almost new when we sold them. This coach, however, is too tall and long to fit in the garage. That will be remedied soon with a garage expansion, but until then it's a lot of, "Wax on, wax off."

Bill, yeah she's a blast to take camping. You met her... she's got a great people-friendly personality. In fact, this Friday we're headed to Idaho with her to do some camping - her mom and dad in their tent and us in the MH. We'll be staying in Redding for one night while en route, where I just saw that the forecast is calling for 111 degrees while we're there. Yikes!

Kev

Three Rivers State Park, New Mexico.  We've even done winter boondocking there....once during a snowstorm!  We were young and adventurous!

Attachments

• Three Rivers 2.jpg
    Three Rivers 2.jpg
    340.7 KB · Views: 259
Here is a new spot I'm going to try out this fall. I've been out road hunting for boondocking places. I've got two place GPS'ed for boondocking camp sites now.  8)

About 4 miles up Cabin Creek outside of Council, ID

(attachment)

I've also got another that is about 13 miles up Price Valley Road, about 1 mile past Price Valley Guard Station. (No picture, Sorry)

Attachments

• cabin creek.JPG
    cabin creek.JPG
    78 KB · Views: 173
A few places around the North America.  I assume by boondocking you mean places w/o electricity or water hookups.

Attachments

• 0 Our site at Cultus Lk Prov Pk B C.JPG
    0 Our site at Cultus Lk Prov Pk B C.JPG
    205.8 KB · Views: 180
  • 01 P1050541 BLM land camp.JPG
    01 P1050541 BLM land camp.JPG
    214.6 KB · Views: 182
  • 87 P1050609.JPG
    87 P1050609.JPG
    198.9 KB · Views: 167
  • 2009 c38P1030613.JPG
    2009 c38P1030613.JPG
    184.8 KB · Views: 153
  • 2011 06 02 010.JPG
    2011 06 02 010.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 169
  • P1020501.JPG
    P1020501.JPG
    242.2 KB · Views: 155
  • 2003 01 Boondocking on Kluane Lake.JPG
    2003 01 Boondocking on Kluane Lake.JPG
    133.8 KB · Views: 166
Len and Jo... Where are those places in the pictures? They look great.

Mike... Like I said in my PM, we drove right past your house the other day - really sorry. Had I known you lived there, we would have taken you up on your 15 amp offer  :). Wow! That drive past your place and down along the Salmon River through Riggins, and down the White Bird Grade (I think that was the name) on Hwy 95 was really something. Just gorgeous!

Kev

Kevin

1.  Cultus Lake Prov. Pk, B.C.
2.  BLM land a few miles east of Goblin State Park
3.  Goblin State Park, Utah
4.  Michigan U.P. State Forest C.G.
5.  Rifle River State Rec. Area, Michigan
6.  Michigan U.P.  State Forest C.G.
7.  Kluane Lake, Alaska (at 11pm)

Forgot one of our favorite places......Cowboy BLM Campground, Utah

Attachments

• 16 P1050403c.jpg
    16 P1050403c.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 145
This is our last spot in the Pike NF.  It took about 45 minutes to get over the last four miles of trail to get there.

Attachments

• P1019413 2.jpg
    P1019413 2.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 149
On the banks of Fish Lake, Okanogan Washington.

The snow picture is at Omak city park, Omak Washington. Not sure if it counts as boondocking, because it was an RV park but the services were off for the winter  :eek:  It was about 15F this morning.

Attachments

• FishLakesmall.jpg
    FishLakesmall.jpg
    248.9 KB · Views: 152
  • StampedeSmall.jpg
    StampedeSmall.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 157
Kevin Means said:
Len and Jo... Where are those places in the pictures? They look great.

Mike... Like I said in my PM, we drove right past your house the other day - really sorry. Had I known you lived there, we would have taken you up on your 15 amp offer  :). Wow! That drive past your place and down along the Salmon River through Riggins, and down the White Bird Grade (I think that was the name) on Hwy 95 was really something. Just gorgeous!

Kev

Heck right now there is a open slot in my yard for a RV to park. It only would of cost you a beer for parking. Maybe next time...  ;)

Mopar1973Man said:
Heck right now there is a open slot in my yard for a RV to park. It only would of cost you a beer for parking. Maybe next time...  ;)

Be careful Mopardude, there will be a line of us in your driveway.....I'll not only show up with beer, but bratwurst, burgers, and hotdogs too!!  :)

My piece of boondock heaven in West Michigan on the edge of the Manistee National Forest where I live for 8 months.......

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 154

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom