SeilerBird's vacation blog

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeilerBird

A few years ago I went on a vacation to Disney World in Florida. My RV died there and I decided that it was a sign from God that I should put down some roots and live there. I have been very happy but I also have itchy feet. I decided I needed a vacation since I was missing the desert and the mountains. My plan is to drive across country in a short time and spend a few weeks at my favorite National Parks, then drive back across country in a short time. I left home on July 1st and after eight days I have decided to post a blog of my travels. My photos will be posted in the July album on Picasa. The link is in my signature. The photos will be in the order they were taken so you can open up two tabs, one for this blog and one for Picasa if you wish to follow along. I have a map posted of the trip. If you are anywhere along my upcoming route and wish to have a mini rally just send me a message. I will be sure to take a photo of us eating to keep Ardra happy.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zw7m0QrjtXsk.kfylQ2ZOKfNM&usp=sharing

July 1st - Today is a travel day. I drove almost 500 miles. Florida is a big state. I left central Florida and drove almost 500 miles and I am still in Florida. Pensacola to be exact. I only took one photo and that was of a sign in the first rest stop I stopped in. The sign tells me to beware of snakes. It should have said "Beware of tourists". Yes, that includes me.

July 2nd - First tourist stop is at the USS Alabama. I spent a lot of time touring it 11 years ago and I am in a hurry so I only stopped in long enough for a few photos and to buy a hat. Next stop was the city limit sign for Lottie Louisiana. I took a photo of the sign to send to my siblings since our mother was named Lottie. They got a big kick out of the photo. Back on the road to Alexandria Louisiana. I am a big fan of Pawn Stars. I used to live very close to their shop. I am also a big fan of the spin off show Cajun Pawn Stars. The shop is located in Alexandria and I had read that the stars are very friendly and love having their photo taken with fans. I stopped in and the three main stars were there and busy getting their photo taken. First I took a photo with Tammy (whom I am in love with) and then asked Johnny who was standing right next to us. He said yes. I made a mistake when I took the shot with Tammy by holding the phone vertically. So when I moved over next to Johnny I rotated the phone 90 degrees. He burst out laughing and asked me if I thought he was fat. I told him he was fatter than Tammy. Then I asked Jimmy, the owner and he said yes but not a selfie, since he thinks they don't come out well, so I had to have one of the other fans to shoot the photo. They were as nice as can be. The pawn shop is amazing. Think about the biggest pawn shop you have ever seen. Multiply it by ten and you still won't come close to the volume of stuff on display. Looking at it all is hopeless. Their gun department is bigger than most pawn shops.

July 3rd - One of my best friends is the head interp ranger at the Grand Canyon named Marker Marshall. Her real name is Margaret but her sister could not pronouce it so she called her Marker and it stuck. So when I saw a Marshall city limits sign I took a shot and sent it to her with the caption Marshall marker. Then I headed off to the big D to see the JFK museum. I was a huge fan of JFK as a child and his death really crushed me. I was 15 at the time. I was no ready for how much it affected me to visit Dealey Plaza. When I saw the Dallas city limits sign my blood ran cold. The closer I got the worse I felt. I took the tour and looked out the window. That was really chilling. I have read a few books, watched a few documentaries and talked to a lot of people about the assassination theories. The visit to the crime scene convinced me of one thing, Oswald acted alone. I just don't see how another gunman could have been there. As chilling as it was I was glad I went. Something like closure.

July 4th - I traveled to Clovis New Mexico and attended a fireworks show. It was a very nice show.

July 5th - I left at 4 am because I was still on Florida time. Traveling on the road to Roswell I saw a beautiful sunrise in my rear view mirror so I pulled over and shot it. Then a bit later I saw an amazing piece of grafitti on a rock along side the road that screamed "Photograph me". It is rare that I pull over to take a photo but I have been doing it a lot on this trip. I stopped in Bosque del Apache Wildlife Reserve but it was a huge disappointment. In the winter it is incredible. But in the summer there is almost no water there hence no birds. Onward to Holbrook and a mini rally with Bob Maxwell and his new bride Betty. We had lunch at Jalapeno Poppers. I haven't found a decent Mexican restaurant in Florida so it was a real treat to have a nice Mexican lunch of tacos and rice. Bob and I spent the rest of the afternoon solving all the world's problems, gossiping about forum members and telling lies. I spent the night on his hide a bed and as soon as I crawled under the covers his cute little dog Pepper cuddled up to my butt.

July 6th - Next stop was in Winslow Arizona where I took a selfie standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona but unfortunately no girl in a flatbed Ford bothered to check me out. I took the photo standing in front of the Eagles hall (BPOE) on route 66. For those of you who don't follow rock and roll Take It Easy was the first hit record released by the Eagles in 1972 which includes the line "Well, I'm a standing on a corner in Winslow, Arizona and such a fine sight to see. It's a girl, my Lord, in a flatbed Ford slowin' down to take a look at me." It is a great song and it really put Winslow on the map. In fact there is a "Standin' on a Corner" park located there.

July 7th - After 2400 miles in 7 days I finally arrived at my first National Park the Grand Canyon. My first project was to check in and pitch my tent. This will be my first night in a tent in 12 years. I love tenting but it sure does make me miss my RV. I forgot how depressing it is to pee in a bottle all night long. Then I headed to "The Cove", the sight of almost every Condor photo I have ever taken. They used to hang out there but about 5 years ago they patched a leaky water pipe that the Condors used for bathing and drinking. Since the patch they no longer hang out there in massive numbers. So it took me almost 15 minutes to find and photograph my first Condor. It was number 30, a 6 year old male. I did not have a shot of him since he was released after the my last visit. I have been building a family album of Condors and adding number 30 brings the total to 74 different Condors I have photographed. Then a Zone-tailed Hawk flew by carrying a squirrel. Zone-tails are crafty little buggers. They look almost identical to Turkey Vultures, just a bit smaller with a black head and white beak. But the biggest difference is the fact that TVs eat dead things and ZTs eat live things. So a squirrel looks up and sees a ZT and thinks he is safe because he knows TVs only eat carrion. What a surprize when the ZT picks him up. I called Marker and we met up so we could go out and attempt to photograph the ZT nest out at Pipe Creek Vista. I failed miserably. The nest is in a new location much deeper in the canyon. I can't measure the distance but it is several hundred yards beneath the rim. There are two babies in the nest but they look like little dots with my 2400 mm lens. Then Marker and I went to the Bright Angel Lodge restaurant for a fabulous stroganoff dinner. It is a new menu selection and I will be revisiting it a few more times before I leave. I plan on being on the south rim for four days total.

July 8th - I made a date to spend the day with my good friend Celia. We really like each others photography so we spent the morning looking at each others photos. I had not been to the canyon for four years so we both had a lot of photos to show off. Then in the afternoon we headed back to Pipe Creek Vista to try a different location for photographing the ZT nest, but we could not find a better location. We then went back to the Village and had a ice cream cone while waiting for Condors that never showed up. We did run into a pair of very cooperative Lesser Goldfinches feeding on a thistle. Several bees were at the same thisle. After dinner I headed to Markers house for a music night. She has been hosting music nights at her house for years. I have been to several. Every time there is a totally different group of people there. She has song books that have 1200 songs and anyone can bring any instrument. I brought my electric guitar and a tiny amp. My acoustic would have been more appropriate, however I haven't been playing guitar much lately prefering to play my bass guitar. I started practicing in anticipation about a month ago and after a few days I quit using the acoustic and switched to the electric since it was killing my finger tips. I am glad I switched because we played music for three hours and when we quit my fingertips were smarting. I took a video of one song with my iPhone and I will posted it when I get to a faster Internet connection. We are total amateurs but having a blast.

July 9th - I got up early and I spent the morning editing and posting photos and typing this blog. I ran into a herd of elk on the way to the Internet connection.  I will be updating it next week. I will be spending the next two days hunting for Condors here at the canyon. Then I move over to the North Rim for two days, then to Zion for a day, then Bryce Canyon for two days and then to my brothers house in Sandy Utah where I will have a nice Internet connection for posting more songs pictures and stories.

How I (we) have missed you here and being a part of the forum...and if for nothing more than to know you are well and traveling again! Enjoying your blog, and, of course, your photos. I definitely do not have your patience. Keep the words and pics coming so I can track you. Unfortunately due to both DH's and my health issue we have not travelled yet in 2015 and I miss it very much (just had a total reverse shoulder replacement on 6/29). Guess I'll have to let you do the traveling and me vicariously living the camping life thru your blog!

Linda & Steve

Thanks for your kind words. I am sorry to hear of your shoulder problems. It is really a bummer getting old, it seems like everything stops working. Keep the faith and hurry up and get back on the road. I have a bucket list ten miles long so I can't stop.

I will be sure to take a photo of us eating to keep Ardra happy.

Ha Ha!  It sounds like you're off to a good start on your vacation.  Your blog is so informative - I never would have known the differences between turkey vultures and zone-tailed hawks.  Safe travels!

ArdraF

Thank you Ardra. Maybe we should start a squirrel education program to help the little guys out. No wait, they are a real pain here on the south rim. :p

July 9th - I have decided to update this blog on a daily basis so I don't have to dedicate a whole morning next week. I had a rather dull day. The wind was blowing and birds go and hide on windy days. I spent the morning cruising on the shuttles stopping at scenic overlooks looking for Condors. Then I spent the afternoon at 'The Cove' waiting for Condors that never arrived. I went to a Condor talk and spent the entire time biting my lip. It kills me when they talk about the black and white birds of the canyon, Condors and Turkey Vultures. Don't these rangers own a field guide? TVs are brown and silver. When they are flying overhead in front of the sun they might look black and white so I don't bother to try and correct them. But then when he said that DDT was responsible for the demise of the Condors back in the 70s I almost popped a blood vessel, but kept my mouth shut. I know that might be hard to believe. :) Then I went to the Pizza Bar and got an amazing shock. The price of a piece of pizza was still $2.75, the same price as four years ago. It is possibly the only thing not to go up in price in the last four years. Then I hopped on a shuttle bus and journeyed out to Mohave Point to watch the sunset. It looked like it was going to be a great sunset but it fizzled. Mohave is a great place to photograph a sunset because it has a beautiful view of the river. I will try again tonight. Best thing about today was no rain since we are in monsoon season here.

I did have two depressing things happen yesterday. I was sitting in 'my office' (a bench I hang out at waiting for Condors) at Lookout Studio when a Western Tanager landed right in front of me. I stood up to shoot him and he flew off before I could focus on him. I consider the WT the most beautiful bird in the US right after the Condor. Then I saw an Elk hanging out in the parking lot at Camper Services and it had a small crowd around it photographing it. One teenager who was bucking for a Darwin Award was feeding it. I said nothing to them but notified a ranger immediately.

July 10th - Another day with out Condors. I finally found my old friend Steve Mull, who is a great photographer. We spent many hours pacing the rim looking for Condors and other assorted birds. Steve is a shuttle bus driver here at the south rim and has been doing it for about 10 years. I hung out at the Cove for most of the day waiting for Steve to get off work. Then around 4 pm we met up and went to dinner and then I showed Steve all the photos I have taken in the last four years. In a burst of stupidity I left the charge cable for my Chromebook in Celia's car and I can't find her. She is off work today and not answering her phone. I have to wait until 10:30 am when she gets into work. I was planning on leaving early this morning for the north rim but I must wait for her. Fortunately my Chromebook gets incredible battery life and I still have about a 1/3 charge left.

July 11 - A very interesting day. It started raining around 4 am and rained until 5 am. This meant I had to pack a wet tent. I had to wait around until 10:30 until Celia made it to work so i could get my Chromebook power cord which I left in her car. I had planned on going to the north rim but rain was forecast and I did not want to set up a tent in the rain. I headed for St George. Along the way I stopped in to the Cameron Restaurant and gift shop. I had lunch and bought three pounds of maple fudge. It is very hard to find maple fudge for sale anywhere so when I run into it I stock up. Plenty of places sell maple nut fudge but I don't eat nuts. The road between the east entrance of the Grand Canyon and Hurricane Utah is one of the prettiest roads I have driven on so it was an enjoyable ride. I arrived in St George around 7 pm and found a motel without too much hassle. I spent a restful night.

July 12 - Up early to get to Zion early. At the south entrance station was a very large sign saying "Zion camping full". I have been to Zion many times and I knew the sign lied. The south campground is a first come first serve so all you need to do is arrive early and drive around the campground until you find an empty space. I was extremely lucky. The spot took me 15 minutes to find and it is one of the nicest campsites in the park. My neighbors are far away and the view of the cliffs is stunning.

I hopped onto the shuttle and went to the Human History Museum to watch the 22 minute orientation film. I have seen it a few times but it is always good to get a refresher upon entering the park. When I got back to visitors center I got onto the Springdale shuttle and headed for Oscars. It is one of my favorite restaurants since it has the best hamburger I have ever eaten. The Murder Burger. Lots of garlic. Two days later if I talk to a local they will say "You ate at Oscars recently".

I spent the afternoon driving on the Kolob Terrace Road. It is a 24 mile trip into the high country west of the park. Condors are spotted up there frequently but I saw none. I am getting skunked everywhere I go. However the drive was magnificent. I have never been on that road and it was stunning. At the Lava Point Lookout you can see all the way to the Grand Canyon. Kolob Terrace Road goes from 3000 feet to 8000 feet in 20 miles and is not for the faint of heart. But the view is worth the drive.

After dinner I went to the local Imax Theater to see Jurassic World. Not as good as Jurassic Park but a decent flick overall if you ignore all the plot holes.

Thank you Margi. I am certainly enjoying the trip. I forgot just how much I love Zion. I was planning on only two days here and then going to Bryce Canyon for two days but I still have a bunch of things to do here so I think I will stay at Zion for four days.

July 13 - This morning started with a trip on a shuttle bus entitled "Ride with a Ranger". About 24 tourists signed up for a personal tour of Zion Valley on a shuttle bus with a ranger leading the way. The bus stopped at five different locations and at each location we got off the bus and the ranger gave a short talk about something in the area. It was a very good trip. Even though I had been to Zion many times and I have seen many ranger programs I still learned quite a bit about Zion. The place is endlessly fascinating to me.

For lunch I went to Wildcat Willie's Steakhouse in Springdale. It is one of my favorite restaurants. The food and the BBQ sauce is sensational. It is a cowboy restaurant that is very heavily themed and done quite nicely. Lots of clever sayings on the walls including my favorite "All unattended children will be sold to the circus." Unfortunately there was one child who was attended dining close to me that should have been sold to the circus. He was standing on the chair talking loudly and obnoxiously the whole time and the parents thought it was cute. Damn foreigners.

I spent the afternoon riding around on the shuttle bus looking for Condors and I was skunked again. I did see lots of awesome scenery and the weather was extremely hot. In the early evening I went to the Imax theater to see another movie called Rock of Refuge. It is a new movie and my friend Paul highly recommended it. I was not impressed. It was like a bad home movie. Most of it was about being caught in a torrential downpour on the side of a cliff and how lucky they were to make it out alive. They should not have been there in the first place.

Then at 9:15 I attended a ranger program in the Watchman Amphitheater about the California Condors. I have been to many such programs at the Grand Canyon but this was only my second Condor program I have seen at Zion. To my total shock and happiness there were about a dozen of my photos used in the program. I did not know that the rangers in Zion had access to my photos. Every time one of my photos flashed on the screen I had the urge to jump up and shout "That one is mine!' but fortunately I showed remarkable restraint. After the show i talked to the ranger and told him that about a dozen of the shots were mine. I showed him one of the shots on my phone. He asked me if there were copyright problems and I said absolutely not. Then he asked if i wanted my name to appear on the shots and I said absolutely not. Those photos are my gift to the Condor restoration project. It is not about me, it is about the Condors. Putting my name on the photos is just distracting from the message.

I got a call from my nephew who is watching the cats that there were problems on the home front. The power had gone out in my RV and the cats had been moved to his house. He finally got a temporary cord hooked up to the A/c and returned the cats. When I got home I finally got the whole story. Some busy body neighbors decided that since my car was missing that I must have been in an accident or abandoned my cats and they were dying in my RV. So Park Patrol was called and then the cops were called. Finally one of my neighbors came out and explained I was on vacation and my nephew was attending to my cats.

July 14 - I have been having problems with my breathing at high altitude which I feel is due to my allergies. The weather was extremely hot and so I decided to end the vacation prematurely and head back home. I was also having problems with my camping gear. I bought the wrong stuff. It was all way too small. The tent was 5' by 7' and I thought I would fit in. However I was trying to sleep on an air mattress and the walls of the tent curved inward. This meant my feet were up against one wall and my head was up against another wall. At Zion the wind was blowing all night long very strong and it was beating me to death meaning I could not sleep. I got up around 3 am and loaded all my gear up and headed home. I will attempt this same trip next year in May instead of July and I will not make reservations anywhere. That cost me too much money.

At Marble Canyon is the Navajo Bridge. I stopped there to look for Condors and saw two Condors resting on the bridge, one of which, H9, I had not photographed before. I spent the night at Gallup New Mexico.

July 15 - Uneventful day as I drove to Amarillo Texas to spend the night. The next morning I woke up and drove the 1000 miles to get home.

I have posted the photos from the second half of the trip. They are located in the same album as the first half and the link is included in my signature below. If you have already looked at the first half photos then scroll down to the all white photo and that is where phase two begins. I took a lot of scenic shots of the Grand Canyon and Zion. Usually I only have a long telephoto lens so scenic shots were out of the question. Now that I carry my iPhone with me everywhere it gives me lots of opportunities for scenic shots.

I finally got a good enough connection to post the Music Night video. It is pretty lame. There are six of us but only four can be seen in the video. Marker is on the left and Celia is in the middle. We are singing Sloop John B. Total amateurs but we all have a great time. Don't expect too much:

https://youtu.be/xr80JTLrm1E

So happy to see you active again.

Your blog brought back many fine memories of Grand Canyon and Zion -- and enthusiasm for going there again.

Thanks so much for sharing your great pictures.

Be Well!

Don and Mary Ann

Thank you Don and Mary Ann. It surprised me that I forgot just how beautiful those places are. I missed them a lot. I am hoping to go back next year.

SeilerBird said:
I finally got a good enough connection to post the Music Night video. It is pretty lame. T We are singing Sloop John B. Total amateurs but we all have a great time. Don't expect too much:

I loved the video.  I would enthusiastically welcome all of you to my campfire!

Thank you Max. I only recorded it so I would have a record of Music Night. We do have a blast. I was the worst singer of the group so I was singing quietly.

MN Blue Skies said:
Voices don't matter.  What matters was that you were having fun and enjoying each other's company.
That is how I usually feel, except everyone sounded so much better than me I was enjoying listening to them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opal6502
Back
Top Bottom