Looking to be a fulltimer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kstav85

I am 30 years old, Army Vet and live back at home with the folks. I am also a grad student with about a year left and have two mini schnauzers. I am looking to get out of my folks house and, thinking about becoming a fulltimer which just lets me just get my own space again. I have friends who have done it before but they are also a bit older.  I am looking to get info. I am doing some research into hook up areas near me and looking at different RVs. I would prefer to have a bed that stays down, mainly so my dogs can continue sleeping with me.  If I get one with a cab bed, I can either use it for guests or storage when parked. I am pursuing my masters in history but do plan to apply for the forest service so it would be helpful and easy for me to get to a new job if needed.  I do live in Southern California but have never been a city person.  I believe if I looked into full time rv living it would give me my own space again, I can park in a campground area which lets me be in a more desired area and I am already considering tiny house living...so this fits that as well. any information regarding full timing, dogs, people who have done something similar, or anything in general is greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

You might want to look at an older used travel trailer.  They can be had very inexpensively and even a larger one 30+ feet will have ample room for you and the dogs + company.  If you find that it is not all you expected, older ones keep their value and you can sell it probably for almost what you paid for it. 

My wife and I bought an older 32' for $3400 used it for 6 months and up graded to a much newer and nicer and sold the old one and recovered all the money we spent on it.

Just a thought.

Living in Southern California I  would say RV Park for a full time resident will be your biggest hurdle.  Be sure to  do your homework  on this one before  making a  purchase of any kind. 

Good luck in the search for  answers.  Sometimes the search  is as much fun as the project itself!

If you are not welded to S CA.  Go east about 200 miles or so to Yuma, AZ  really nice place very active business community.  Jobs are there if you want one.  Full Time CG are all over the place.  Reasonable priced too.  I have spent the past 2 winters there and it was wonderful. 

Summers not so much.  But, hey, people live there year around all over.  Definitely would be my first choice,  I hate CA traffic.

Thank you for your service.  I'm in awe of your bravery in protecting this wonderful Country.

I live in SoCal, in Ventura County (VC) and am investigating full time rving with a home base in or near VC.  I think you have a great option, if your folks have room and will agree to it.  Why not purchase a small, used travel trailer, park it in the back or side yard, plug in and just use the house for showers, etc.?  This way, you have your own space, you don't have to spend money on renting a space and you'll be in an area you're familiar with.  Then, you can sell the trailer when you're done with it and probably recoup most, if not all, of the money you spent on it.

If that's not far enough away from your folks, then you might consider renting an apt.  Buying a used RV and paying rent in a park will likely cost more than a few months in an apt., especially if anything is wrong with the RV, and there usually is something wrong.

"trailer parks" are what you largely need to stay away from.
Campgrounds typically don't like to see or accommodate full timers of >3-6 month duration.

We'll be able help more when you come up with a rough budget and an RV type that is of interest to you.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom