37' vs 45' Sites

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
bucks2 said:
I'm amazed that there are so many narrow roads with tight turns that the 40' fire engines can't get down. Why do you suppose they allow that? And to allow people to live back in those inaccessible areas. That's almost criminal. Why would you take your 34' MH down a road that a fire engine couldn't get to if you had a fire? Seems like a bad choice. I think I'll stay where emergency help can get to me if I need it. Think about it.

Ken

As fast as a motorhome fire can get completely out of control is amazing....if the fire department was across the street it'd be done by the time they got there.

bucks2 said:
I'm amazed that there are so many narrow roads with tight turns that the 40' fire engines can't get down. Why do you suppose they allow that? And to allow people to live back in those inaccessible areas. That's almost criminal. Why would you take your 34' MH down a road that a fire engine couldn't get to if you had a fire? Seems like a bad choice. I think I'll stay where emergency help can get to me if I need it. Think about it.

Ken

The reason I take my 34 footer down that road is because the 40 foot fire engine can't get there.

Think about it.

Quillback 424 said:
The reason I take my 34 footer down that road is because the 40 foot fire engine can't get there.

Think about it.

and there are a bunch more people that will get to the end of that road....... and hike another couple miles just to get away from it all.

part of the fun about R/V living is getting away from the whole metropolitan life,  and a bunch of sirens and fire trucks and busses ......isn't it ?

legrandnormand said:
If I had the chance, I'd change my 38 footer gas guzzler for a Tiffin Phaeton model 36GH.  ;)

Which will get just about the same mileage and $300 oil changes. :)

We just arrived in Anchorage after a ferry/drive route up here. We are traveling with a friend with a 27' Class C and have stayed in Fairgrounds, Provincial Parks, as well as National Forest CGs. We have a much smaller selection of sites we can fit into with our 40' but have managed to find at least one in the parks we chose.

Boondocking or living on 30 amps is almost a way of life up here. Fortunately we haven't needed AC yet.

The site listings for many state/federal parks can be misleading on the site size. The photo below is of site #66 at Manatee Springs State Park in Florida, for one example. ReserveAmerica lists the maximum vehicle length for this site as 35 feet. The photo was taken from the road, and shows our 34 foot coach and toad with plenty of left over space that would accommodate a larger rig.

Attachments

• 100_6451.JPG
    100_6451.JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 33
I just had an oil change, filter, and lube on the engine plus oil change (Mobile one) and filter on the generator. The bill was $256. Mobile one sdded about $30 over conventional oil. Not all that expensive!

Ernie

NY_Dutch said:
The site listings for many state/federal parks can be misleading on the site size. The photo below is of site #66 at Manatee Springs State Park in Florida, for one example. ReserveAmerica lists the maximum vehicle length for this site as 35 feet. The photo was taken from the road, and shows our 34 foot coach and toad with plenty of left over space that would accommodate a larger rig.

I have seen the same thing at some parks we have visited.  The problem is unless you are familiar with the park, it makes it risky to make a reservation.

Ernie n Tara said:
I just had an oil change, filter, and lube on the engine plus oil change (Mobile one) and filter on the generator. The bill was $256. Mobile one sdded about $30 over conventional oil. Not all that expensive!

Ernie

What does this oil change have anything to do with the subject ? ???
MOD...please move this post to the proper thread ! ;)

Well, this rather quickly turned into a gas vs. diesel debate.

Back to the original question, we have a 37' DP and have never stayed in a commercial RV park.  Almost always stay in state parks and have once stayed in a national park (Zion).  Most of those sites are electric only with 30A power, which is just fine for us if it is a short stay.

My thoughts are:
National Parks -- I would say that the majority of sites probably don't accomodate anything bigger that 30' and many of them are even smaller.  Probably doesn't make too much difference whether you're 37' or 45'.  The few that will accommodate something bigger probably would not accommodate a 45' rig.
State Parks -- Most of the state parks we have been interested in have at least some sites large enough for our 37' rig.  You do have to choose carefully and fortunately, many parks now have photos of the sites online that allow you to see them before you arrive.  For example, when we went to Deadhorse Point SP in Utah, out of about 20 sites, only 3-4 would have been big enough for our rig.  I was able to figure out from aerial photos on google maps and other photos of the campgrounds which sites those were and booked in advance.  That said, in many state parks, a 37'-40' rig is going to be pushing the outer limits of most of the sites.  I can't think of very many that would accommodate a 45' rig.

IMHO, 37' vs. 45' does make a big difference if you are like me and want to primarily stay at state park campgrounds.

Edit:  I added a photo of our 37' rig in a typical Illinois state park campsite.  Note that there's no pavement (sort of gravel) and not much room at the front of the site for another vehicle.  I would not want to take a much heavier, longer tag-axle rig into this site. However, the park is beautiful, and just how we like to camp.

Attachments

• Campsite.jpg
    Campsite.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 28
Jeff said:
Which will get just about the same mileage and $300 oil changes. :)

I think what Jeff is eluding to is the average diesel motorhome engine takes about 24 quarts of oil.

So it's a $300 oil change ...... if you do it all yourself.

Last year I would have to had done 4 oil changes on a gas rig and only one on my DP. Really the question is 37 vs 45. We have a 36' which actually measures 37'. So far we have not had a problem finding sites. We camp with a friend with a 40' rig and in our travels we have never had a problem. Find the coach you like and live with it.

I had a chance to see an RV senior center in AZ. Lots of 40 plus units and lots of senior activities like morning dancing. Hard to get into though, all filled up. Why retire to a retirement home and get stuck in a fixed location?

jagnweiner said:
Edit:  I added a photo of our 37' rig in a typical Illinois state park campsite.  Note that there's no pavement (sort of gravel) and not much room at the front of the site for another vehicle.  I would not want to take a much heavier, longer tag-axle rig into this site. However, the park is beautiful, and just how we like to camp.

Hey Scott!
That picture looks like the same site I met you and your wonderful family when I bought my rig!
Cut Rock I think it was called?

gwcowgill said:
Last year I would have to had done 4 oil changes on a gas rig and only one on my DP.

the diesel would have used 6 gallons..... and the gas would have used 7 gallons. ......... ?

BinaryBob said:
Hey Scott!
That picture looks like the same site I met you and your wonderful family when I bought my rig!
Cut Rock I think it was called?

Hi, "Bob."  They do look similar, but this is actually Johnson Sauk Trail Park about 20 miles from home.  "Rock Cut" SP is the one we were at.  Hope all is well with you and Mrs. Bob.  Give her my regards.

Back
Top Bottom