PLEASE HELP ME

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

USMC 2142

Okay so maybe I jumped the gun in purchasing this 5th wheel. I am green as they come when driving this thing, now I have pulled some trailers but nothing this large. 2500 hd truck and 40' weekend warrior trailer. I wanted to plan this  trip with my family and as its turning out a little ignorant about getting places. So me and my son are leaving on the 20th of july from sacramento and heading to walker river resort in smith valley Nevada ( we like to ride quads) That's not a bad drive but this is where I think it gets complicated. I thought we could go down to Yosemite for couple of days and then continue on to Pismo beach for a few days of riding, head up north from there and either stay at santa cruz koa or go back to sacramento and pick up my wife and drive up to Yellowstone and spend about 7 days up there. So maybe im just being too cautious and I know its a lot of driving. Where I started to get freaked out was coming from smith valley down to yosemitte, in my ignorance I just googled map quest to see the routes from here to there but I started reading about going over tioga pass and here I am. Any help or advise would be very welcomed since you all are the experts. Thanks

I sincerely doubt your truck is big enough to pull it on flat land much less over Tioga. Do you have reservations at any of these places? If not you will have a tough time finding a place to stay. Please post the details of your truck and your 5er so the experts here can give you advice.

The truck is 2008 GMC 2500HD Duramx diesel, rear air bags. The person I bought the toyhauler from also drove a 2002 2500HD with no problems ( friend of a friend type thing) I did some research on the truck before I bought the trailer and it is heavy but shouldn't be a problem. Toyhauler has 3 axles and the brakes are being converted over to disc brakes as we speak ( elec over hyd) That's the only thing that I could find that most people would change on it. Again thanks

I have reservations in Yellowstone, Pismo beach and walker river shouldn't be a problem. Yosemite is going to be tough finding a place for sure, haven't checked on santa cruz yet. Maybe I should just go to either Pismo beach and back up to Yellowstone or walker river resort and back to Yellowstone. Might be a little easier being a newbie, just trying to cram some places in before my boy goes back to school. Semper-Fi

One thing you should have is the Western Edition of The Mountain Directory, paper of phone app. Advance warning on the major grades. There is an Eat and a West edition.

http://www.mountaindirectory.com/

One thing I will warn about... Many folks try to cram 3 weeks of activity into a 2 week vacation.. Then they need the next 50 weeks to recover

Works out a whole lot better if you plan only 1.5 weeks of activity for that 2 week slot then stop and smell the roses at some interesting place along the way.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom