Boondocking on Crown Land in Canada?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
While never having done it my self I have seen many do it near Timmins off the logging roads, while on a canoe trip. Not so much in Southern Ontario where there is more people. Ask the MNR for where you want to go.

Yep - Canadian residents can camp on Crown land for up to 21 days in one spot - FREE. Non-residents are supposed to pay for a permit, but figuring out who to pay and where to find them is the hard part. The general rule while on Crown Land is, of course, to disturb the natural area as little as possible. Rangers etc can remove you if they feel you're abusing the privilege.

The rules are the easy part. Finding Crown land that you WANT to camp on is usually the hard part. Ministry of Natural Resources maps are a good tool, as are the Back Roads travel atlases available at Chapters. As mentioned above, Southern Ontario has little to no Crown land available for boondocking, as most property is privately owned.  But it can be found. If you manage to find a spot, check your GPS coordinates to make sure you're not accidentally trespassing.

And if you find a good spot within 2 hours of Kitchener, ON, PLEASE PM ME!!!  ;D ;) ;D

Over the years we have set up on crown Land, but never realized there we actually rules.  The most frequent location we used to frequent was an old road that led into Algonquin NP.  However, don't forget that there are both Provincial and National crown land areas, and I'm sure the rules differ for each.

Ed

The op is in B.C. so likely where  he/she is looking. The province is dotted with BCFS camp sites off the beaten track, users are SUPPOSED to pay a fee if and when the maintenance people show up but the last I heard they had no way of enforcing it. A lot of public land here is leased to farmers and ranchers for grazing so is obviously off limits. Check with the forest service.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom