Our project trailer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You know, as I looked through the photos, I started thinking how you could probably just pull everything out and start over with how you want it to be. Not necessarily what was already in place.

You don't have to worry about keeping it in prime condition for resale value. You could take off and go non-traditional like getting cabinets and storage racks from IKEA or even thrift stores. Put Pinterest in your bookmarks. Most of all, just have fun. Make it uniquely yours. I think you are going to have a great time with this.  :D

I am so glad the negative comments stopped and encouragement followed.  Let me tell you a story.

I started camping life in a tent like most everyone else here did.  I eventually moved up to a tiny tiny little FAME camper.  This worked for a summer but I really didn't like it because it was too cramped.

The next spring I found a fairly nice 30' Coachman bumper tow  that seemed to be the answer.  I made the deal and dragged it home.  It was about 15 years old but had good tires and was huge compared to my old 14 footer.  On my first night in the camper a few weeks later I kept hearing a noise below the bed and in the wall like a branch rubbing the side.  It was dark and I took it as being just that.  In the morning I woke up to find ants had invaded my dry foods and was pretty grossed out but then realized they were making a trail to the bedroom.  It was just an overnight trip so I headed home and didnt put two and two together right then.

Two weeks later I was in the camper cleaning and randomly stepping on a few ants and decided to spray.  I lifted the bed and sprayed ant killer under it and the walls.  There was a bit more noise and then ants everywhere.  I ran.  (Quite manly response right??)  I went to hardware and bought 5 Bug Bombs and set them off inside and in the 2 compartments and athe following weekend started opening things up.  My entire real wall was a giant ants nest as was the last 8 feet of the floor including the entire bedroom.  It was bad.  I had taken a small loan to buy it.  I had a year just to pay it off.  Fixing was my only option.  Here is what I learned:

Anything can be fixed with a little knowledge and basic skills.  Before you even invest another penny, take it to someone who knows TRAILERS but preferably not an RV place.  THis is YOUR project.  Have a trailer guy take a look at the frame and carriage and brakes and axles etc to be sure they are road safe. If it is you are safe to play.

Many campers and RVs are built by laying out a deck complete with cabinets and furniture and flooring and then setting the walls down around it.  You need to reverse this to the degree you can.  I started by removing all furniture, beds, partitiions etc to get the unit as empty as I could.

Next I removed the wall covering which back then was thin paneling. With that came the insulation which was very very minimal.  I left the outside skin on a majority of the camper.  I only removed what I absolutely had to where the wood was badly damaged.

Next came the floor coverings.  I had vinyl flooring in halls and carpet in the bedroom.  This had all been installed before the interior OR the exterior walls.  I simply cut around the base of all the walls and exposed as much floor as I could so that the 3/4" plywood flooring could be removed.

Once I had taken about 100 pictures of everything and at least 100 measurements I started tearing out the bad stuff.  I too had a door in the middle of the worst of the damage.  Someone put it in there so you can slowly figure out how and remove it the same way. If you are very careful it can be saved and reused. I will admit here that the door never quite shut as nice as it originally did but in an emergency would be an escape.  We just didn't use it much after that. It shut and latched etc but was a little sticky.

Once the bad is out you can start rebuilding.  I recommend tearing out and fixing a section at a time.  Fresher memories are always best.

The only other cautions would be to watch carefully for wires and hoses. Both can be buried in the bad wood and wires are easy to cut and not even notice.  I cut a small ground wire for water pump and never noticed.  I had to bite my lip and get someone who knew what they were doing to tell me why the pump wouldnt go.

Now get out there and have FUN!!  If tempers start getting short and it stops being fun STOP!!!!!  That is a good time to go get wings and a beer and walk away until next weekend.  Also...Take breaks from the project for a day or a week now and then.  A Project of fun and love can turn into a ball and chain if you try too hard too fast.

Thanks!! I'm going to have my Dad give her a good once over. He's a mechanic and has been buying and selling trailers for years.  ;) She's actually in pretty solid shape considering her age. most of my to do list is cosmetic, and just because I want to upgrade, not because I have to. I have already removed most of the carpet and the rotten wood/floor will be next. We don't have a garage, so storing things is a bit difficult right now. I have all kinds of awesome ideas floating around in my head... I can't wait to get them on the trailer.

Great advice from Thecabinetguy.  We've never remodeled a camper but have done several houses and his advice is spot on.  The best thing about doing anything today vs twenty years ago is that SOMEONE has probably done it before and made a youtube video showing how they did it.

Great project trailer.  I'm looking forward to the photos showing your progress.

made a TON of progress today! Got the booth and the cabinet out and exposed all the damaged areas. Not as bad as I first thought.  ;D  Next step is to remove all the poop wood reframe and then insulate and cover. After that I am re sealing all the doors and windows. That is where the water is coming in at. Pictures added to the album!

Great news. :)  Suggestion - why don't you put the link to your photo gallery in your forum signature?  That way, it's immediately accessible to your fanbase. ;)

Dougie.

Hey Wegocampin, 

Any updates and pics for your progress in September?  I think of you every time I get a Pinterest suggestion on remodeling RVs. There are some pretty cool ideas out there!

Let us know how you are progressing.

MN Blue Skies said:
Hey Wegocampin,
Any updates and pics for your progress in September?

Ha!  I was thinking about this today too!  C'mon girl - let's have an update! :D

Dougie.

Thanks for thinking of me. Unfortunately not a whole lot to update...we've hit the rainy season around here and I don't have a covered area to work on it. My plan is to purchase a cover next week, then when I have that I'm going to get the siding off so I can reframe where needed. I also need to fix the aluminum floor. Money and time! But I have to admit, I'm slightly obsessed with my project. Lol

okay... I have the vent cover for the fridge vent, and the Adco 5th wheel cover arrived today!! =) I should be able to get the cover on, and hopefully get the siding off so I can get to the side that needs repaired. I've also found a cutting board to use as a new counter top in the bathroom and bought a silver bowl I'm going to use as a vessel sink. And, I got new tools!! lol I got a 12" compound sliding miter saw and a router and router table. Should be a fun weekend.

Looks like a good project and a chance to make it your own.

What I see under the windows is water damage. Either from the windows or the roof.
Find the source of that before getting too far in.
It could simply have been windows that were not or did not close properly.
Check the ceiling for water stains.
Once any leaks are fixed, it is just basic DYI skills for the rest.

Take you time an plan the layout you want.
Appliances can be as expensive or inexpensive as you want.
Searching for sale items and being able to do the work yourselves will keep the cost down.

Good luck and keep us updated.

Finally had a break in the weather and got the cover on. That was definitely a fun experience... (note; my sarcasm here.) I had to climb up top, and pull it back. But, we got her done! Posted a pic in our album.

Dan and Jamie,

After looking at your pictures I wondered if you ever considered taking her down to the frame and rebuilding from the frame up. Have to hand it to you, it takes a lot of courage to take on a project that size.
Hope you have fun and don,t become discouraged.

Tom

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom