Leash Laws

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MTPockets

We have been pet owners for about 40 of 48 married years.  Our dogs were always on a leash except in the house, fenced yard, or dog park.  We would let them run if in a remote area with no other people around, and kept a close eye on them. We have, for four summers, been state park camp hosts in five different State Parks, all with leash requirements.. Yet, it seems that over half of dog owners ignore the law..  We've had discussions with owners who claim their dog is docile, minds perfectly, would never roam beyond their campsite; at the same time, we've seen those same docile dogs chase after dogs on leashes, fight, bite, I've been chased and my wife was bitten.  Unleashed dogs are not the problem, it's the irresponsible owner failing to leash their dog.  Dogs are wonderful, we love them all and wish everyone would please leash your dog.

As hosts we offer, nicely, three solutions to the dog owner:

1. Lease your dog

2.Have a ranger issue a ticket ($136.00)

3. Immediate eviction without refund.

The choice is theirs, but of course, they always choose # 1. 

Same with picking up after the animal, except number 1 is: Pick up.  We will even supply the bag.

So many times, it is not WHAT you say, but HOW you say it. 

A good brand of pepper spray, worn faithfully whenever you are around those dogs, works wonders on the biggest, meanest of dogs and for that matter owners if need be.

Check a bike shop for this, buy a good one and replace it yearly.

A huge pit bull decided, apparently, to eat me on my morning walk. His response to the pepper spray was a loud YIPE and a quick return to his yard.

Pepper spray may not teach manners, but it does teach respect!

MTPockets said:
We have been pet owners for about 40 of 48 married years.  Our dogs were always on a leash except in the house, fenced yard, or dog park.  We would let them run if in a remote area with no other people around, and kept a close eye on them. We have, for four summers, been state park camp hosts in five different State Parks, all with leash requirements.. Yet, it seems that over half of dog owners ignore the law..  We've had discussions with owners who claim their dog is docile, minds perfectly, would never roam beyond their campsite; at the same time, we've seen those same docile dogs chase after dogs on leashes, fight, bite, I've been chased and my wife was bitten.  Unleashed dogs are not the problem, it's the irresponsible owner failing to leash their dog.  Dogs are wonderful, we love them all and wish everyone would please leash your dog.

No matter what you or anyone else says, the good pet owners will obey the laws and rules and be courteous to others, and the bad pet owners will continue to ignore the rules and laws .
I have been on this earth too long to think that anyone can change them!

Jack L

OLDRACER said:
A good brand of pepper spray, worn faithfully whenever you are around those dogs, works wonders on the biggest, meanest of dogs and for that matter owners if need be.

Check a bike shop for this, buy a good one and replace it yearly.

A huge pit bull decided, apparently, to eat me on my morning walk. His response to the pepper spray was a loud YIPE and a quick return to his yard.

Pepper spray may not teach manners, but it does teach respect!

Just a note:  Have a plan "B" for pepper spray. 

I have trained, and many police dogs are trained to ignore pepper spray, even when sprayed into the face. 

Moral: Pepper spray is NOT 100% effective.

What do you suggest? How can a dog or any animal avoid the effects? Do they close their eyes and mouths and stop breathing?

Dog Folks said:
Just a note:  Have a plan "B" for pepper spray. 

I have trained, and many police dogs are trained to ignore pepper spray, even when sprayed into the face. 

Moral: Pepper spray is NOT 100% effective.

Maybe so, but it sure beats saying "Nice doggie" while being chewed on. I doubt most will ever come across a "pepper spray trained" dog to be concerned about.

Plan B is easily available.

I think the pepper spray should be for the owners that refuse to leash their dogs...it's not the dogs fault that the owner is not following the rules. 

Sorry, I couldn't help myself with the reply.....moderator can delete if not appropriate.....

RoyM said:
What do you suggest? How can a dog or any animal avoid the effects? Do they close their eyes and mouths and stop breathing?

Have you ever even seen a dog sprayed with pepper spray?

I have only trained  oh....... about 1000 dogs.  Trained about 20  to work through pepper spray.

Depends on the dog.  Most will "squint" their eyes and keep on biting.

They seem to have no trouble breathing.

What do I suggest?  Before pepper spray, if I am sure the dog is going to bite me, I suggest a firm stick, properly used, and that takes training also.

OLDRACER said:
Maybe so, but it sure beats saying "Nice doggie" while being chewed on. I doubt most will ever come across a "pepper spray trained" dog to be concerned about.

Plan B is easily available.

Agree 100%. 

I am just  trying to point out that pepper spray is NOT always effective.  Some people here seem to believe that pepper spray is the cure all, fix all  for attacking dogs.  It is far from that.

You may not come across a dog "trained" to bite through  the pepper spray but there are many dogs that are not affected by it, for a  number  of reasons, training aside.

Just don't depend on pepper spray alone.

Dog Folks said:
Have you ever even seen a dog sprayed with pepper spray?

I have only trained  oh....... about 1000 dogs.  Trained about 20  to work through pepper spray.

Depends on the dog.  Most will "squint" their eyes and keep on biting.

They seem to have no trouble breathing.

What do I suggest?  Before pepper spray, if I am sure the dog is going to bite me, I suggest a firm stick, properly used, and that takes training also.

I completely disagree

I used to be a hard core bicycle racer, and learned the hard way to keep a can of "Halt", (pepper spray) with me on all my training rides.
I had dozens of times over the years, where the spray would stop a dog short in it's tracks.
I still keep it on my handle bars when my wife and I are pleasure riding

Also one of my first jobs was a meter reader with a utility company, and we were issued pepper spray.  I can recall two times where it saved me from getting attacked. One was a vicious  Doberman and the other was a Pit Bull .
All it took was a direct spray in their face, and both of them took off. The Doberman ran onto a lawn and put it's face down in the grass and rubbed it's paws over it's eyes.

Jack L

JackL:  I respect your position and your experience.  But  this case overall, it is outside your expertise. 

I certainly would not tell you how to paddle a kayak as it is outside my expertise. Please do not try to tell me about dogs, their training and responses, until you have been there and done that, as I have, for over 30 years.  Thanks much. 

A I have stated before, I have trained dogs to ignore pepper spray, and there are some untrained dogs that will do it naturally. 

But if you a willing to get bit, hard, multiple times, and then get stitched up,  I can show you more than one dog that can eat pepper spray for breakfast.

Happy camping.

I heard ammonia in a spray bottle will stop dogs. Does anyone here know if that's true? It seems like there isn't any spray available to stop an animal that can eat a dead skunk. :)

Be careful with pepper spray.  It is considered a weapon in some states, and a concealed weapons violation can be costly.

kdbgoat said:
I heard ammonia in a spray bottle will stop dogs.

Please do not use ammonia. If ammonia is sprayed in the eyes it can cause permanent damage/blindness.

Rosebud3 said:
Please do not use ammonia. If ammonia is sprayed in the eyes it can cause permanent damage/blindness.
Thanks for the info on that. Wouldn't want to permanetly I jure an animal because the owner was irresponsible.

To be quite honest and politically incorrect, I have no problem with doing damage, even permanent damage, to an animal who is intent on doing similar damage to me. At the time of attack, it goes not make a bit of difference if it is the owners fault the dog is not on a leash, it only matters to stop the attack by whatever means necessary and available.

Back
Top Bottom