EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Possible to install a REAL door?  (Read 2357 times)

Bglass1

Possible to install a REAL door?
« on: July 18, 2015, 03:43:42 PM »
Has anyone considered installing a true door inside? We have a "bedroom" separated by a privacy curtain, and the opening is just right where I think we could put a true door.
4 kids sleep up front with our 90lb german shepherd. Living in the travel trailer while we build our house and have about 6 months left to go. We get the bedroom in the back. The door isn't so much for privacy, but because our dog is getting into our room when we aren't home, jumping on our bed (has never been allowed on furniture), to look out the windows, and he's broken the safety latch on one window from shoving the curtains up with his nose so he can watch for us to come home. We also end up sleeping on a fur coat.

gwcowgill

• ---
  • Retired USAF, Retired Auto Instructor Dade Cty Sch
Re: Possible to install a REAL door?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2015, 04:14:29 PM »
Measure you opening size and then go find an interior door that will fit in the opening. You may have to add some framing but it can be done.
2009 Bounder 36B, 2014 Honda CR-V, various grandchildren when school is out. KG4LHS
2014 Honda CRV Toad,
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Toad

scottydl

• Admin assist
  • ---
  • Central IL
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2015, 03:39:49 AM »
x2 on the framing, that's what you need to put in a real door.  It's a requirement of ours for the trailer (not yet purchased) that I'm shopping for, and we DO want it for privacy from the kids who will be at the other end of the trailer.  ;)  I'm finding that most sub-30-foot TT models save space and weight by just having curtains and no doors separating the rooms.  Larger TT's have more end-to-end space for studier walls and the framing required for actual doors.
Scott, wife, 3 boys... and the dog
- 2008 Forest River Wildwood 32BHDS
- 1995 Chevrolet Suburban C2500 tow vehicle
- 1994 Thor Residency motorhome... owned 2007-2012

blw2

• ---
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2015, 06:37:35 AM »
I would consider that the swing of a door might get in the way.  With space already cramped, I can imagine having to maneuver and such to open and close might be a burden..... and for safety you'd want to make really sure that "stuff" doesn't get placed that might slow emergency exit.

Have you considered a crate for the dog?
Brad (DW + 3 kids)
13 Thor Chateau 31L Class C on Ford E-450
'06 Silverado
'05 Rockwood Freedom 1910 (5-1/2 years)
former tent campers

UTTransplant

• ---
  • Salt Lake City area
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2015, 07:58:54 AM »
There are some very nice dog gates available that have a "door" in them for humans to use. Some can accommodate quite wide openings. With a large dog that can jump,over doors, you can get taller ones or install them a bit above the floor. We don't use one in the trailer, but we do at home when my son's dog visits - she loves beds too :-) Even though the dog gates are fairly expensive (for the nice ones), they are still less expensive than a real door and are more easily removed for resale.
Pam and Kevin plus Minou and Lily (the cats) plus Lexi (the grand-dog)
2014 Outdoors RV Timber Ridge 240RKS
2015 Ram 2500 Diesel
http://toobusyforwork.com

Water Dog

• ---
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2015, 08:15:32 AM »
If you have wall space adjacent to the opening, you might consider a sliding door. Our motor home has one (that we have never used) that functions similar to a barn door.
Dennis

"Heart is where the home is"
---------------------------------
Dennis & Vici Bernhard
2000 Bounder
1999 Jeep Wrangler
Home: Sumner, TX

RodgerS

• ---
  • You get what you inspect.
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2015, 09:28:42 AM »
Crate train the dog or put him outside in a dog run depending on his exercise needs.
Gone RVing with Susan
Class B- RV: 2001 Mercedes CLK320 Soft Top

Joezeppy

• ---
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2015, 10:17:38 AM »
If you have the wall space, perhaps a sliding door will work. Our bedroom is sectioned off with an entertainment cabinet in the center and sliding door on each side. The only true framing you'll need are the studs that are already in the wall to install the slider rail. If your doorway goes all the way to the ceiling, you'd just have to build a small header.
Joe & Kim
Upstate NY - Kuyahoora Valley
2010 GMC Sierra 2500HD - 6.0L gasser
2017 Keystone Hideout 295BHS
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum 5th wheel hitch

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2015, 12:14:44 PM »
Bi-fold and accordion doors are an option is you don't have room for a swinging door, pocket door, or sliding door.

The accordion doors you usually see are flimsy junk, but they do make some quite nice ones if you are willing to pay the price: Here's a selection at Home Depot (mostly special order):
http://www.homedepot.com/b/Doors-Windows-Doors-Interior-Closet-Doors-Accordion-Doors/N-5yc1vZc5ii
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

scottydl

• Admin assist
  • ---
  • Central IL
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2015, 02:34:09 PM »
The accordion doors you usually see are flimsy junk,

I can agree with this, which is why I'd like to find a "real" door on our trailer.  But, I suppose a higher quality accordion door or curtain is a possible option too.  Sound blocking is the key feature I'm looking for, so the kids can do their thing in one end of the trailer, while my wife and I are doing ours (hehe, mostly sleeping)!

MTPockets

• ---
  • Full timers, travelled now in 49 States
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2015, 04:24:05 PM »
A tent for the dog & kids might save you some cash... LOL
'13 F350 DRW
'12 Big Horn 5th Wheel

scottydl

• Admin assist
  • ---
  • Central IL
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2015, 04:35:32 PM »
^^ Heh, you know once the kids are older and we (maybe) go back to motorhome camping, I've always thought about the possibility of towing along a small pop-up trailer.  Then they'd have their own space to "camp" in.  There are other logistics - like having two RV's on one site and not bringing a car along... but just something I've thought of.

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
  • Ned and Lorna are former full time RVers
    • Have you seen Rolling Stock?
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2015, 05:21:18 PM »
Scott, have the kids drive the car towing the popup :)
-- Ned -- Fulltimer 1997-2013
1997 Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE
2007 GMC Canyon

vmyoung61

• ---
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2015, 08:50:35 PM »
If it really is just to keep the dog out - Have you considered one of those wood framed screen doors? I know somebody who used one on the door to their baby's nursery, to keep their cat out. It would be light-weight, but keep the dog out.
Steve and Gina
2017 Thor Palazzo 33.2

Stephen S.

• ---
  • Marshmallows and Irish Cream. Mmmm.
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2015, 01:08:36 PM »
^^ Heh, you know once the kids are older and we (maybe) go back to motorhome camping, I've always thought about the possibility of towing along a small pop-up trailer.  Then they'd have their own space to "camp" in.  There are other logistics - like having two RV's on one site and not bringing a car along... but just something I've thought of.

There is a Toyota Dolphin in a parking lot I pass by once in a while. Every time I see it I think "that would make a nice toad."  ::) ;D
Stephen S.
===============
'99 Winnebago Chalet
2002 VW Beetle
2007 Yamaha TW200
Home town: Mableton, GA

Hosted by Over The Network