Possible to install a REAL door?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bglass1

Has anyone considered installing a true door inside? We have a "bedroom" separated by a privacy curtain, and the opening is just right where I think we could put a true door.
4 kids sleep up front with our 90lb german shepherd. Living in the travel trailer while we build our house and have about 6 months left to go. We get the bedroom in the back. The door isn't so much for privacy, but because our dog is getting into our room when we aren't home, jumping on our bed (has never been allowed on furniture), to look out the windows, and he's broken the safety latch on one window from shoving the curtains up with his nose so he can watch for us to come home. We also end up sleeping on a fur coat.

x2 on the framing, that's what you need to put in a real door.  It's a requirement of ours for the trailer (not yet purchased) that I'm shopping for, and we DO want it for privacy from the kids who will be at the other end of the trailer.  ;)  I'm finding that most sub-30-foot TT models save space and weight by just having curtains and no doors separating the rooms.  Larger TT's have more end-to-end space for studier walls and the framing required for actual doors.

I would consider that the swing of a door might get in the way.  With space already cramped, I can imagine having to maneuver and such to open and close might be a burden..... and for safety you'd want to make really sure that "stuff" doesn't get placed that might slow emergency exit.

Have you considered a crate for the dog?

There are some very nice dog gates available that have a "door" in them for humans to use. Some can accommodate quite wide openings. With a large dog that can jump,over doors, you can get taller ones or install them a bit above the floor. We don't use one in the trailer, but we do at home when my son's dog visits - she loves beds too :) Even though the dog gates are fairly expensive (for the nice ones), they are still less expensive than a real door and are more easily removed for resale.

If you have wall space adjacent to the opening, you might consider a sliding door. Our motor home has one (that we have never used) that functions similar to a barn door.

Crate train the dog or put him outside in a dog run depending on his exercise needs.

If you have the wall space, perhaps a sliding door will work. Our bedroom is sectioned off with an entertainment cabinet in the center and sliding door on each side. The only true framing you'll need are the studs that are already in the wall to install the slider rail. If your doorway goes all the way to the ceiling, you'd just have to build a small header.

Bi-fold and accordion doors are an option is you don't have room for a swinging door, pocket door, or sliding door.

The accordion doors you usually see are flimsy junk, but they do make some quite nice ones if you are willing to pay the price: Here's a selection at Home Depot (mostly special order):
http://www.homedepot.com/b/Doors-Windows-Doors-Interior-Closet-Doors-Accordion-Doors/N-5yc1vZc5ii

Gary RV Roamer said:
The accordion doors you usually see are flimsy junk,

I can agree with this, which is why I'd like to find a "real" door on our trailer.  But, I suppose a higher quality accordion door or curtain is a possible option too.  Sound blocking is the key feature I'm looking for, so the kids can do their thing in one end of the trailer, while my wife and I are doing ours (hehe, mostly sleeping)!

^^ Heh, you know once the kids are older and we (maybe) go back to motorhome camping, I've always thought about the possibility of towing along a small pop-up trailer.  Then they'd have their own space to "camp" in.  There are other logistics - like having two RV's on one site and not bringing a car along... but just something I've thought of.

Scott, have the kids drive the car towing the popup :)

If it really is just to keep the dog out - Have you considered one of those wood framed screen doors? I know somebody who used one on the door to their baby's nursery, to keep their cat out. It would be light-weight, but keep the dog out.

scottydl said:
^^ Heh, you know once the kids are older and we (maybe) go back to motorhome camping, I've always thought about the possibility of towing along a small pop-up trailer.  Then they'd have their own space to "camp" in.  There are other logistics - like having two RV's on one site and not bringing a car along... but just something I've thought of.

There is a Toyota Dolphin in a parking lot I pass by once in a while. Every time I see it I think "that would make a nice toad."  ::) ;D

Back
Top Bottom