EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Importing your RV into the UK (or EC Countries) - Tax Free ?  (Read 35366 times)

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
Re: Importing your RV into the UK (or EC Countries) - Tax Free ?
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2007, 05:25:43 AM »
Brenda confirmed it here.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 06:49:58 AM by Tom »
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2007, 05:21:36 PM »
Brenda,

I've been reading your various threads and something just occurred to me.  If you want to travel in the US for a year or so, is there any good reason why you have to buy an apartment in Berlin now that will only sit empty for a year while you're in the U.S.??  Seems to me you could save money by traveling first and settling in Berlin later.  Or do you plan to rent out your apartment?  And, just curious, why move to Berlin if you don't understand German very well?  Is there something I'm missing about this whole situation?

ArdraF
ArdraF
:D :D

brenda

• ---
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2007, 07:12:05 PM »
Hi AndraF

I will be using Berlin as my base as I have a good friend and other contacts there, who will deal with mail, and who lets me stay. I am learning German as I want to do some travelling around, see the Black Forest etc.

The property prices are going up now and if I buy and rent out, it will give me better returns than saving, the option of settling there later or the chance to sell and make a bit of retirement money. The prices are so low it is a shame not to get in on it.

loddy

• ---
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2010, 04:28:27 PM »
I have been doing a lot of reading about buying and importing into the UK, I understand you have to have your home outside the EU for 12 months but is there any rules about visiting the UK in that 12 month period , you know visiting at Xmas ect ??.

I'm sure someone knows on this forum.

Loddy ;)

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2010, 08:59:29 AM »
Have a you read this topic? A reply quoting HM Customs & Excise suggests that the 12 months does not need to be contiguous.

loddy

• ---
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2010, 11:00:59 AM »
Thank you very much, I had read it but didn't understand/absorb it first time round  :-[

Loddy  ;)

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2010, 11:13:56 AM »
I seem to recall that other Brits have gone home for a short stay during their "time outside the EU".

BTW I trust you're familiar with the US immigration & visa requirements. We have a discussion or two on our Visitors to the USA board and an article or two in our library section by the same name. Essentially, they will only give you 6 months maximum, the exact duration being decided by the agent at the airport on arrival. Most folks take a trip to Canada for a week or two, then re-renter the USA to restart the clock. However, we have heard about one couple who were refused re-entry into the USA when they did this. Alternatively, there's a form you can file to apply for an extension of stay, and some Brits have reported doing that. There's a discussion or two here somewhere on that topic, although it's not without it's own potential issues.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 11:16:27 AM by Tom »

Hosted by Over The Network