Used Diesel Pusher-Potential Issues?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aad

Hello.
Once again I am turning to the RV Forum community for advice.
We are considering purchasing a used diesel pusher with a cummins 400 hp engine. It's a 2005 with less than 10k miles, which means it hasn't been used a lot.
My concern is that, because of lack of use, both the engine and coach systems may have developed some problems.
Are my concerns justified?

Thanks for your responses.

Allen from Wrentham, MA
Isata CM240

A lot depends on how the 10K mileage was accumulated.  If it was drove say every year to and from a season sight then I'd not be too worried being as the engine/tranny was exercised at least twice a year. If the mileage was put on in say the first year or 2 and then just sat the remainder of the time, then you'll need to have a GOOD diesel service go over the motor and put some miles on it to determine it's condition.  At the least probably all rubber hoses & belts will need to be changed on the engine, AND if the tires are original no matter how good the tread you'll have to replace all tires.

Thank you Cant Wait.
I figured the tires would need to be replaced, but good point about the belts and hoses.
I'll try to find out what the owners driving habits were. It is being sold because of illness, so I'm guessing it's been sitting for a while at this point.

Thanks again.

Allen form Wrentham, MA
2003 Isata CM240

Good advice to understand how the mileage was put on, and having it checked out and brought up to road ready conditions. I would want fluids analysis done (3) and see what that indicates, and then look forward to buying fluid analysis yearly and see if a trend develops.

Try to get the receipts: maintenance is not only a mileage issue but a time issue. It seems the time issue tends to get bypassed by some owners.

The house tends to be more my concern as the house, in my opinion, is oftne below the quality of the chassis it is riding on if you are buying an entry level unit.

Thanks for the quick responses.
This a 2005 Holiday Rambler Scepter 40PDQ. It was almost $300k new. Guessing it was not an entry level unit.
Thanks for the advice about the fluid analyses. Which fluids should be checked and what kind of information can be accumulated by this test?
I've never owned a diesel before, so this is all new to me.

Allen from Wrentham, MA
2003 Isata CM240

Personally myself I would have all fluids changes, all rubber (tires and hoses) checked. Change all filters. Then have the chassis inspected steering and suspension. Beyond that hopefully you picked out a floor plan you can live with.

Agree with Moparman. If you buy this, get all the fluids & filters changed to establish a new baseline for your continued use. Not just engine oil & filter - do the fuel, cooling, hydraulic, etc. Air dryer cartridge too.  And maybe new drive belts, since they aren't expensive if you DIY. It will probably cost you $1000 up front, but little, if any,of it would be wasted. At worst it's preventive maintenance that gets done a little early.

The Sceptre is HR's mid-range diesel model. A very nice coach you would be proud to own..

Allen,
  You will enjoy that Holiday Rambler. We have a 2005 Hoiday Rambler Endeavor and have had good luck with the 400 Cummins motor. Lots of power and if you hold it to 60 - 65 miles per hour, it will serve you and your pocket book well.

Bill

Thanks Bill for positive feedback. We hope to get the deal done soon.

Allen

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cakes09
Back
Top Bottom