Tilting Your Rooftop-Mounted Solar Panels (Part 1)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BOONDOCKERS: If you have rooftop-mounted solar panels that are capable of being tilted toward the su

• Never

Votes: 7 87.5%
  • About 25% of the time

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • About 50% of the time

• About 75% of the time

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Every time we boondock

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kevin Means

Site Team
I'm trying to gather some info about tilting rooftop-mounted solar panels (on RVs), and I'm going to be taking a few poles - would appreciate it if you'd take the pole at the top of the page. Thanks in advance for your responses.

Kev

Thanks Paul. Can you click on the answer (in the pole at the top of the page) that best approximates how often you tilt them? I realize it's just an approximation, but that's all I'm looking for right now. Thanks

Kev

Kevin Means said:
Thanks Paul. Can you click on the answer (in the pole at the top of the page) that best approximates how often you tilt them? I realize it's just an approximation, but that's all I'm looking for right now. Thanks

Kev

I did.

I voted never, but I might if I were to boondock in one place for a week or more. That's if I could even find them!

Ken & Sheila said:
I voted never, but I might if I were to boondock in one place for a week or more. That's if I could even find them!
Ha! Yeah, that seems to be the sentiments of several boondockers I've spoken with.

Kev

This comment is not exactly on subject but close.  I was talking the the fellow at AM Solar Friday about mounting an array of panels vertically on the side of the Stacker.  He was against the idea.  He said that they are designed for horizonal or tilted from horizonal and he felt that a vertical mount would require far too much tilt to be practical.  I am hesitant to roof mount them with the current height of 13 feet 6 inches.  I can just see a low bridge taking them off.

Just a side comment, sorry for hijacking your poll.

Hi

I have had flat roof mounted panels on my RV for 4 years now.  Personally if I could do it again I would keep them flat.  I know I am losing a bit of power but I am working it up to 1k in panels and it is going to be more than enough.

I think if I were to want panels tilted I would do a ground set up with a quick connect plug in into the RV.

When I was washing the roof I slipped and almost took a tumble.  I go up there as little as possible. 

This is a old picture when I was installing but here is what mine look like.  I have since add to it.

Attachments

• index.php.jpg
    index.php.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 48
HueyPilotVN said:
This comment is not exactly on subject but close.  I was talking the the fellow at AM Solar Friday about mounting an array of panels vertically on the side of the Stacker.  He was against the idea.  He said that they are designed for horizonal or tilted from horizonal and he felt that a vertical mount would require far too much tilt to be practical.  I am hesitant to roof mount them with the current height of 13 feet 6 inches.  I can just see a low bridge taking them off.

I think the guy from AM Solar lacks imagination.  You'll wind up with the panels at the same angle either way, and pulling them out from the side of the stacker would provide a nice awning shade.

You may wind up having to make a longer "lift" brace (horizontal in this case) but other than that the panels and their mounts shouldn't care whether they start out from a horizontal or vertical configuration.

One thing though ... isn't your stacker already 102" wide?

Lou Schneider said:
I think the guy from AM Solar lacks imagination.  You'll wind up with the panels at the same angle either way, and pulling them out from the side of the stacker would provide a nice awning shade.

You may wind up having to make a longer "lift" brace (horizontal in this case) but other than that the panels and their mounts shouldn't care whether they start out from a horizontal or vertical configuration.

One thing though ... isn't your stacker already 102" wide?

Lou,

To be fair to the fellow from AM Solar, I think he feels that in a passive configuration, (which is most of the time), the vertical orientation would not work as well as the horizonal mounting.  Most of the time the sun is high in the sky and not coming in sideways.  He even said that most people do not take the time to adjust panels for optimal sunlight.

I do like your idea of really lifting the bottom of the panels in a tilt and creating an almost awning effect when parked.  the only problem was that I was considering two rows of panels.  Maybe I could reinforce two long axis panels into several 8 foot panel sections.

You are also correct about the 102" width, however several things do stick out a few inches like the awning hardware, flag mount, fender trim, and water connection.  I would not be too worried about the extra few inches but it might cause a liability issue if in an accident.

I wish the height was a little lower, but then everything might not fit inside with the lift.  There are two vent covers on the roof that are at least as tall as the panels would be, but I could much rather lose a vent cover instead of 15 or 20 solar panels.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
traxster
Back
Top Bottom