Bubles inside RV walls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gemini

I was inspecting a 1995 Rialta RV and notice the walls bubles in some areas. No visible water damage that I could see. This really scare me so I walk away from that RV. How do you fix problems like this in an RV?
Thanks

Can you describe the bubbles a bit better?  Largish lifted areas, or tiny blisters? Or maybe not "bubbles" at all, but more like little pits or short hairline cracks?

An area of  a square foot or so that is slightly lifted is delamination and may or may not be more than cosmetic. If caused by a leak and the leak is fixed, probably not major as long as no interior wall or floor damage is present (use a slim knife blade or ice pick to check for soft wood). Blisters or pits are susceptible to new surface leaks, though I don't think that is common. The tiny hairline cracks, short or long, are usually just cosmetic.

Back in the mid-90's the RV makers hadn't perfected their lamination process yet and glue failures were not all that unusual. The skin separated from the backing and no leak was present. But old rigs are leak-prone too, so try to figure out which it was.

Large lifted areas. I do not owe the RV so no knife. How can I know what is wrong when there is not obvious cause. I guest will need to figure out which manufacture was the best building RV in the 90's .

Thanks

You use the knife on the interior wall, in an unobtrusive spot at the floor or wall near the floor. Or press hard with a small blunt tool. You are just trying to identify soft spots under the flooring (carpet is easy) or wall panel.

There is no magic to this and, yes, there is some risk buying used. That's part of why the price is lower.

Gemini said:
I was inspecting a 1995 Rialta RV and notice the walls bubles in some areas. No visible water damage that I could see. This really scare me so I walk away from that RV. How do you fix problems like this in an RV?
Thanks

I'd suspect water infiltration... I'd get away from that RV !

Oh we did! We look forward to own our first RV . We know that learning will be a big part of enjoying it but do not want extra headache.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opal6502
Back
Top Bottom