Which satellite system to get...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
29er said:
.....I believe it is the only one it's the only one that can record in High Definition.

One model of DirecTV's DVRs is a HD receiver/recorder. Can't recall the number off the top of my head.

Tom:

You are right. Took a look at the new "tivo" and it says "Direct Tv +HDDVR.

The name "Tivo" is not on the replacement receiver anywhere..

It does operate just like the "Tivo" it replaced, in fact it went from 40 hrs HD to 80 hrs HD.

Kerry

DirecTV no longer offers any Tivo based DVRs.  You can only get a Hughes designed DVR from them.  Not as easy to use as the old Tivo based DVRs and they don't have some of the features that make the Tivos so popular.  None of the DirecTivo receivers would record HDTV either.  We have a lifetime subscription to the Tivo service and hope our current receiver doesn't die as it may not be easy to find a replacement in the future and we would have to switch to the Hughes DVR receiver.

I believe Tivo has an exclusive on the Wish List recording, and the Season Pass feature works much better.  I haven't had a chance to play with the latest Hughes DCRs and can only go by the reports I read.  The consensus is the Tivo user interface is much easier to use than the Hughes.

Also, the Tivo software is more mature.  Our Tivo hasn't ever crashed that I can recall.  I do read about the Hughes DVRs locking up from time to time or missing recordings.

But if you are to dumb to operate a Tivo, like me, and have never had one, you sure don't miss it.  I'm still having trouble with the VCR, DVD, Cassette and 8 track.  These things are way to complicated for me.  Besides I have enough trouble just being me.  right Ned and Karl?  LOL

A Tivo is easier to operate than any of those devices, Shayne.  Even you could program a Tivo :)

Karl's the gambler, I only bet on sure things :)

That's me. Ford all the way.  Just passed a deal on my Lincoln  a swap for a Saturn Vue.  I just can't pull that trigger.

Back
Top Bottom