new chassis battery problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adiehl

Hi everyone!

First, I'm a newbie--now living full-time in a 2006 Tiffin Allegro Bus with husband and dog since the end of April this year.

I'll save you a longer story by saying that I did not know the chassis batteries were not kept charged with the inverter or other means and they went dead in about 8 weeks (bought, drove bus on 4/26 to our long-term parking spot; dead by 6/23). Due to their age, I had them replaced.

Between the time they were replaced to this past weekend (a period of only one month), we started the bus and ran the engine for 30 minutes. It didn't turn over very quickly. I was worried it wouldn't start at all.

So, all that for my three questions:

1. Does that seem right to you folks out there? It's only been one month with brand new batteries and already the bus is hard to start? Even with a hefty trip in between (we took a long weekend which required 8 hours of driving, in total)? Is it possible they were not installed correctly?

2. I have purchased a Trik-L-Start and am figuring out how to install that. Can anyone please help provide specifics that has a 2006 Allegro Bus (or similar)? I have the general idea and believe the right solenoid is in the compartment behind the inverter, near the engine, but which one is the right one? And which post is for the chassis battery versus house battery?

3. Do you have recommendations regarding what meter to purchase to measure the batteries, etc.? And also any books, online resources I can read to educate myself in this area?

So much to learn! Thanks in advance for reading and your help!  :)

Hi and welcome to The RV Forum and the RV lifestyle!

Yes, that does seem a bit premature for the chassis batteries to get weak, but you may have something wired to them that would be better matched to the house batteries. That sometimes happens when people add gadgets are modify wiring over the years. Or perhaps just a poor connection to the battery posts - that will act like a dying battery. The first step is to get a volts reading right at the battery posts to see what the battery state really is.

Get a cheap VOM (aka multimeter) from Harbor Freight of Walmart. You don't need much accuracy or fancy function - just DC volts and Ohms (resistance). Something like this is adequate:
http://www.harborfreight.com/7-function-digital-multimeter-90899.html

The battery isolator solenoid is the one that is wired to both the house and chassis battery positive posts, either directly or through the inverter/charger (which in turns connects to the house positive post.

One good education source for newbies concerning RV 12v system is called "The 12v Side of Life". See http://www.marxrv.com/12volt/12volt.htm

We also have information in the RV Forum Library on many RV subjects, including electrical and batteries. Check it out (Library button on menu bar).

Another option to consider is to install a battery cut-off switch for the chassis battery.  I did on our rig and it easily goes a couple months and fires right up. 

Back
Top Bottom