Did I get lied to?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have about 200 miles on it and I have no real reference to compare it to. I can tell it's back there. I have not yet felt as if I was out of control with the trailer, although I have done nothing really except four lane roads. I have imposed a 60 mph speed limit. The truck doesn't seem to strain or bounce around.

It comes down to a basic choice, do I leave a $30k+ trailer in my driveway or pull it with my dodge.

Lots of good info here, but the subject line asks if they got lied to. Well maybe maybe not, but the problem with this all is why would anyone want to believe a salesman who is only selling cars/pickup trucks, what would make anyone believe someone like this?

Frizlefrak said:
Come back a year from now and tell us your results.....ie how happy you are with the way it tows. 
+1^
He may good with the axle weight s, but I can't see how he wouldn't be way over payload rating. Maybe he's related to my BIL. He could probably pull a 14x70 mobile home with a Ford Ranger and feel comfortable with it.

kdbgoat said:
+1^
He may good with the axle weight s, but I can't see how he wouldn't be way over payload rating. Maybe he's related to my BIL. He could probably pull a 14x70 mobile home with a Ford Ranger and feel comfortable with it.

About 10 years ago, we were at a state park campground near Cloudcroft NM at about 9200' up.  I had a 23' fiver at the time.  We saw this HUGE fifth wheel roll in.....triple axles, had to be close to 40' long.  He had to have someone spot him just to get it around a couple of corners.  The truck was squatting badly.  There was only one spot that could accommodate it.  A couple days later when I was walking around I peeked at the data tag...GVWR of 18,200 lbs.  He was towing it with a (new at the time) F250 Powerstroke!! 

I stopped by to chat with him.  The rig was gorgeous...and he had wife and 4 kids with him.  I mentioned that it was kinda heavy for his tow vehicle.  His reply was the salesman told him it would be fine.  I asked him how it tows....I could sense he wasn't being completely candid...and his response was "OK, I guess". 

Mopar1973Man said:
Another famous last words...
http://forum.mopar1973man.com/uploads/monthly_07_2015/post-1725-0-74032700-1438306487.jpg

Yikes!!

Moving it once across town at 30 MPH, OK....anything beyond that......

Maybe the question should be "How much can my truck *comfortably* tow." vs. what is the absolute max weight I can haul. Big grey area there, but I know I am completely comfortable towing my 7800lbs Alpenlite 5er behind my DRW F350 diesel. Overkill? Perhaps, but the truck isn't being stressed much, with lots of reserve power, and a lot of brakes in addition to the trailer. Call it "safety overhead" if you will.

Not all dealers are the same. Three of the lots we checked went through what truck we were towing with and worked out the capacity before they showed us a trailer. The one we bought from kept showing us little trailers because we stopped by in our F150 4x4 short bed. She didn't want to show us anything bigger until I told her that wasn't our tow vehicle.

Now when we first got the Expeditions a dealer tried to sell us a 29 ft, 9000 lb dry trailer...yeah he was slime. lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CampMike2270
Back
Top Bottom