It's official. AT&T has purchased Direct TV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SargeW

Site Team
I just received notice this morning in my email that AT&T has completed it's buyout of Direct TV.  It has been deliberated by the FCC for the last year, and they recently approved it. 

So far AT&T have planned no major steps that they have announced, other that to announce their name change to AT&T Entertainment & Internet Services. 

Makes me wonder if Verizon  is panic'ed about this move. Sounds like it gives AT&T an advantage in the telecommunications world. 

Too bad. There is no company I dislike more than AT&T.  :(

Good news. Now two companies with lousy service can take their service to new lows. Ditto, I hate the service of both these companies.

It could be worse, Comcast might have bought them :)

BigJohn said:
Good news. Now two companies with lousy service can take their service to new lows. Ditto, I hate the service of both these companies.
AT&T agree.
DirecTV do not. I have always received prompt, courteous service from them.
Do not really care for mega - corps that appear to be taking over the world  :mad:

I got the same e-mail. All I can say is wonderful.......oops, did I type that?

parttymer said:
+1  See picture below.
Way too funny. I just signed up for Internet service from Comcast. I talked to six different people and got six different stories. Then I get a call from Comcast telling me I could not have my service hooked up until I paid an outstanding bill of $88 from service they provided a few years ago. I told them I put down a $100 deposit so they owed me money. He could not get off of the phone fast enough. No apology either.

This type of merger has been trying to happen for at least ten years that I am personally aware of. It started even before AT&T cranked up U-verse.

I must be in a minority because I have had AT&T since they started cell service and had Directv for five years on the road and both have served me flawlessly, voice, data, and entertainment.

Like most mergers, it's all about the money, market penetration, and upsell.

I believe I get my money's worth so I am a happy camper! The new deal will take a while to shake out while redundancy in operations are removed, but it takes huge bucks to deliver that kind of infrastructure - it's not a game for small players. You gotta pay to play! Long term, I see better delivery of all products and the costs being spread across a larger market. Check back in five years.

I'm hoping that's how it works out too Kim, but I have my doubts. I think that there will be growing pains to be sure.  On the up side, if this puts more heat on Verizon and makes them more competitive, great.

Have had Direct TV for the last two and a half years and it has worked well, never had AT&T. Hope the merge goes smoothly.

Been a happy client lf both AT&T and Direct TV for nine years now. 

Hope the merger doesn't mess it up and they can offer me some bundling.

We are in SW Florida, just had to pull the plug on DirecTV, just could not get a signal in any rain.  Even a light shower.  The technician came out, said Yep, can't get a signal.  He couldn't either whenever it rained, also had Comcast so he could get a picture when it rained. 

Has to do with where the satellite is located.

Have had to go with Comc#|p but preferred DirectV as far as picture, etc.  given the links between DirecTV and AT&T figured this was coming.

I do not know if this is still true but you know how the dollar bears a legend "Legal tender for all debts public and private".. At one time AT&T at least in Detroit, would not accept cash.. Check by mail or you could go to an "Agent" who would take cash and charge you for the privileged. But they would not accept cash.

Now.... I have an opinion of this.. and it's why I'm a T-Mobile customer.

John From Detroit said:
I do not know if this is still true but you know how the dollar bears a legend "Legal tender for all debts public and private"....

I also cannot fathom why anyone would not want to accept cash, though I have run into it more than once before.  And I DEFINITELY do not understand the theory of a "convenience fee" for using cash, paying over the phone, or whatever they want to tack it onto.  I have to pay money for the privilege of paying my bills?  Nonsense, in my opinion.  The only hypothesis I can offer is that while the American dollar may be legal tender for all debts, that doesn't necessarily mean that the vendor has to accept it.  It should, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

OK so back to topic. Can AT&T pull together this massive satellite enterprise, and manage the cellular network as well? Will it benefit us consumers?

I was coming up to the end of my 2 year contract with DISH and I am out of contract with Verizon. Was getting ready to go back to Direct TV. May wait to see how this all pans out.

I suspect it will be at least a year before there are any significant changes to DirecTV will appear, if any.  AT&T's cellular service isn't really a factor, but their U-Verse service certainly is, as it's a competitor of DirecTV.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom