It's official. AT&T has purchased Direct TV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The one thing everyone involved in this merger knows MUST happen, Directv has to remain the market leader. Let's hope they do this by adding value or lowering prices.

I agree Jeff, lowering price would be my recommendation. I never understood why Direct dish cost more to by, or why they charged more for there service. Will be interesting indeed to see how things play out.

Becks said:
I agree Jeff, lowering price would be my recommendation. I never understood why Direct dish cost more to by, or why they charged more for there service. Will be interesting indeed to see how things play out.

Supply and demand at work.  I am hoping this acquisition will be good for consumers, but I am guessing it will be a better deal for the stockholders.

As is typical, the merger was approved with conditions set by the FCC.  Read this article from Forbes for a good summary.  Here's the actual FCC order press release.

In never believe that few choices are good for the consumer.
Here in my S&B I have no choice. AT&T has an agreement with the country that keeps
other companies out for another decade from our subdivision.
That really aggravates me.

I have tried 2 of the sat companies and now have gone back to AT&T.

Strangely AT&T has been very responsive to my inquiries and problems this time.
They even call at least one a month now, asking if everything is OK.
I have also on file several repair and supervisor numbers.

Maybe they will start returning to the customer service of the 1960s.
My first job out of HS was as a Ma Bell Installer 1967.
If you called for a new install by noon, it HAD to be done by 5 PM that day!

An AT & T associate knocked on my door yesterday to sell more stuff. That's when I found out that DirecTV was bought by AT & T. The only reason I have Directv at home is because I can take tune in anywhere I go with the RV. Now I don't know what is gonna happen with this buy out whether I can still beam through the satellite off the grid without having to put anymore MONEY  :-[. 

oldme said:
Maybe they will start returning to the customer service of the 1960s.
My first job out of HS was as a Ma Bell Installer 1967.
If you called for a new install by noon, it HAD to be done by 5 PM that day!

It will NEVER return to the level of service of the 60's because they broke up Bell.  My uncle (District Manager for Bell at the time)  told me it would ruin telephone service , and it did.

Dog Folks said:
It will NEVER return to the level of service of the 60's because they broke up Bell.  My uncle (District Manager for Bell at the time)  told me it would ruin telephone service , and it did.

Agreed. When I first hired on with AT&T (mid-60s), I was surprised to discover how much emphasis there was on service first. That started to change a little after 1/1/84 (the cracked-Bell date). By the time I retired in '98, economy (cost, make it cheap) played as big (or bigger) role as service did. Now the company I retired from doesn't even exist -- it's SW Bell having adopted the AT&T name after buying it.

On the other side, with cell phones long distance is no extra cost, but you pay for EVERY call, vs. unlimited local calling in the old days (long distance calling subsidized local service). The big difference (not counting changes for the customer, both good and bad) is that 1001 (or more) companies are now in the mix instead of only a few.

Under regulated phone service in the early eighties we were spending $75.00/mo with every call a toll call except for the 800 homes in our small community outside Peoria. I'll take deregulation any time!

Jeff said:
Under regulated phone service in the early eighties we were spending $75.00/mo with every call a toll call except for the 800 homes in our small community outside Peoria. I'll take deregulation any time!

I totally agree, can you remember the phrase  ?Local Long Distance?  just another way to milk more money out of us. 
I wish I did not need to pay for 100?s of TV channels that I don?t watch just to get the few I do watch.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom