Very Cooperative Frog

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Great Horned Owl

Trying to photograph frogs can be very frustrating, unless you are lucky enough to be lucky enough to have some green frogs (Rana clamitans) handy. Unlike almost all other frogs, they just aren't very skittish.

This guy lives lives in my pond, along with two of his friends. This morning, I found him nicely posed, so I went and grabbed my camera. The 420 mm zoom wasn't enough, so I went back into the house, and added an Olympus B300 1.7x conversion lens. That still didn't work. When I got close enough, The camera wouldn't focus.

The B300 has no front threads to accept a closeup lens, so I tried adding a Minolta +0 lens between the camera and the B300. That helped, but I still couldn't focus when I got as close as I wanted to be. I went back to the house and swapped the Minolta for a Canon 500D +2 adapter. That allowed me to focus for a nice tight shot.

Unfortunately, the focus was so critical, that I was having trouble hand holding the camera and keeping him in focus. That need one more trip back to the house for a tripod. Amazingly, the frog just sat there through all this.

Now that I had him in focus, I realized that there was a very annoying blade grass right in front of his eye. I was astonished that he still sat there while I picked the grass about 4" away from him. Here's the result.

Joel

Attachments

• P1150269p.jpg
    P1150269p.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 56
A very impressive shot Joel, congratulations. ;D I have only gotten one good frog shot in my life and he was a long ways away. I used a 400mm L lens on my 50D and cropped the heck out of it. Your frog looks better than my frog.

Thanks, Tom. This one is not cropped at all. Its actually rather easy if you have a frog that just sits there and looks at you when you poke a camera at them from 16" away.

Joel

Great Horned Owl said:
Thanks, Tom. This one is not cropped at all. Its actually rather easy if you have a frog that just sits there and looks at you when you poke a camera at them from 16" away.

Joel
My frog was in a pond and I was on a walkway over the pond. The closest I could get to him was about 15 feet, so cropping was necessary. Here he is:

Attachments

• Bullfrog on the surface small.jpg
    Bullfrog on the surface small.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 32
Beautiful, Joel thanks. Tom, your frog shot is pretty neat, too, with the head sticking out of all those lima beans (well, there IS a resemblance).

Tom, it is a nice shot from that distance. Interestingly, yous is also a Green frog. The other members of their genus don't have the lateral fold runnind back from the eye.

Larry, those "lima beans" are Duck weed. It has the distinction of being the world's smallest flowering plant.

Joel

No, ducks don't eat it, but they do spread it around. As for being a weed, I doubt that there is any standard definition of weed.

BTW, I was wrong. Bullfrogs also have a lateral ridge starting at the eye. Theirs doesn't extend very far along the body, so not being able to see the whole body on yours, it could be either species.

Joel

I was told it was a bull frog by a volunteer at the Bear Creek Reserve where I shot it. As I understand a weed is something that exists where it should not exist and I think duck weed belongs there. One man's weed is another man's flower. ::)

Back
Top Bottom