Is yawing or tail wagging normal for Class A mortorhomes? How much?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for the update.  Glad to hear things are going well.  Keep in mind that like all high profile vehicles, the wind will move you around.  And the lighter the vehicle the more it will be effected by high winds.  The best thing to do when that happens is pull over and sit it out.  My 18,000 GVR Aerbus performs well in most situations.  Not really bothered by passing big rigs.  Little if any tail wag since I've had the tires aired properly and distributed the weight evenly.  Still when the winds are strong, I have to steer it. 

I put both a trac bar and a stablizer on this house.. Worked wonders.

2006 (Jan) drove to Las Vegas (From Detroit) White knuckel, was a pleasure to drive the towed
Nov (After mod) Easy drive to Vegas. Toad, however, was hard to drive,,, Same towed.

I really appreciate this thread.  My tires had 95-100 lbs in them, the door sticker says it's supposed to be 70 front and rear. 

I don't know what I was thinking, putting that much air in them.  I seem to remember when I was a kid hearing that max weight should have maximum tire pressure.

Can't wait to drive it this weekend and see if she handles any better.

driftless shifter said:
Motor vehicles make a wake just like a power power boat. A bow wave and a stern wave. if a truck is passing, first it pushes you away with the bow wave, which you correct for. Then you're on the back side of the bow wave and it pull you in, while you are still correcting for the push away. Then it pushes away again and then the buffeting starts. If you are aware of the sequence of events it is easier to deal with. Every vehicle feels it, some worse than others, this is why some people are terrified of passing trucks on the highway they just don't understand. The pull toward the truck is generally in the area of the tractors rear wheels between the tractor cab and the trailer nose. It's just fluid dynamics.

Bill
this is true

Mosagra said:
I really appreciate this thread.  My tires had 95-100 lbs in them, the door sticker says it's supposed to be 70 front and rear. 

I don't know what I was thinking, putting that much air in them.  I seem to remember when I was a kid hearing that max weight should have maximum tire pressure.

Can't wait to drive it this weekend and see if she handles any better.
Do not feel bad, that is exactly what the tire dealer did on my unit which started this whole issue.  I do remember reading somewhere adding the maximum tire pressure would improve gas mileage, but the negative handling characteristic in this situation far outweighed any benefits.  That is not taking into consideration the harshness of the ride which was horrible.   

By reducing the tire pressure on a front wheel you are increasing the pneumatic trail. Another word for pneumatic trail is "caster trail". Reducing the tire pressure has the same dynamic effect as increasing the caster angle. IMO.

If one lowers only the front pressures which to a very degree will lower the front end which decrease caster. If by lowering both the front and rear pressures and slightly lowering the whole RV you change nothing in castor. As your comment on increasing caster you would have to rise the front and or lower the rear, in effect you change nothing in caster as you really will not see any real change in height from the relatively small air pressure change.

^^^ This may be true, but I think point being made is that if you have correct caster, with over inflated tires, you will have less rolling resistance, making the engineered balance between caster and tire rolling resistance out of the design parameter. With proper inflation the rolling resistance and caster work together to make the steering want to stay on center. This is one of the reasons to inflate tires to the weight carried specification not the tires maximum safe pressure on the sidewall of the tire.

Bill

lowering the front tire pressure is an old trick to correct ill-handling vehicles.

it really slows down the bump steer on straight axle vehicles

garyb1st said:
The air bags in my Rexhall can raise the rear of the coach an inch or two.  Will that effect caster?

Yes. If the wheel base were 120 inches and you raised the rear by 2 inches the front end +caster would be reduced by 1 degree.

I had a beautiful gas 29 foot Winnebago, 2006.  My husband did everything imaginable
trying to stop that swing and getting pushed around.  We had trac bars, new shocks,
a safe t steer in the front. Changed tire pressures, tried to redistribute the load, you
name it.  I could not control it in any kind of wind or trucks passing, otherwise drove like
a dream.

Put it up for sale, told the folks about it,  they bought it anyway.  I had it actually
blow me from one lane to another.  We bought an old diesel pusher 92 American Eagle
never had that problem again.

Back
Top Bottom